Not all maps available when hosting an ET game

Kowalski
Go to solution Solved by RendeL,

Hey guys 🤟

I searched the forums but didn't find an answer, sorry if I missed anything.

Maybe someone knows a solution for this:

Over the years playing on our servers I collected quite a lot of maps in my etmain (far more than 100).
When hosting a game (via 'Host Game' -> 'Single Map Objective') in my home network I can see and choose a lot of them (about 55) - but many are not available.

Does anyone know why that is or even better how to change it?

I'm not clued up that much on maps but maybe its something to do with the way the map is set?? by that i mean i remember Dare telling me a good while ago to make sure the maps i upload to NQ1 are not set to campaign mode or sommat???

I'm only fishing, I might be totally off the reason and if i'm honest i'm more posting to help refresh my own memory 😄

• Like 1
  • 100 1

Can you share a Screenshot of the menu you have after clicking host game?

Do you have directly the list of all maps or a "campaign / single map" selection?

I had this problem too at the beginning, and when choose " single maps" there was just the classic ones. I don't know what I do, but now I don't have campaign selection anymore, I have directly all the maps I have on my etmain.

If you try to host a game with one of the classic maps you have, then in the map try to change for another. Do you have more maps avaible? 

• Like 1

Maybe ET just limits the maps and that's why all isn't there. For example for the server, it is not healthy to have too many maps available for voting.

If you select a map and play it, does the list change after that?

I have only used the hosting for few maps at a time, just for the map testing purposes, so I can't really tell how it actually is, but just quessing.

• Like 2

You have a choice of maps: campaigns, objects and so on.
If you click, it will appear. 😎

The ET host should show all maps. It all loads when you start the game.

It may just not show because you may have other maps that have not been fully downloaded (format .tmp, .rz35sd, ...)

The server can read any number of maps. Until the disk space will not run out.

This only affects the commands. On NQ servers after exceeding 32 maps. Entering the command "! Nextmap" the map restarts, it does not change to the next one. This case also applies to other commands, but not all.

shot0001.thumb.jpg.89eccbab3b6ad5ff4a279f71100c7291.jpg

Edited by FILIPE
  • Like 3

Rendel's right, ET will only show a certain number of maps in the vote menu and this should apply to the create server menu. I recommend you set up a server for yourself so you can use rcon commands to change maps with bsp file names and make server config changes. You also could just set up a new et installation with only the maps you want to test in the etmain for that installation. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

• Solution

With localhost it should work by /map mapname and it should load. That is if you have that map in your etmain folder. But yes the cfg part then is another story. ETL has support for omnibots too, tried it and works ok as long as you keep bot numbers low, for me 10+ already caused some issues.

• Like 1

Hey guys, thank you for the answers so far! :)

The "Game Type" selection doesn't seem to be the problem. As stated in my question I chose the "Single Map Objective" mode and not "Campain",

"Stopwatch" or any other (@Snuffs99 @FILIPE @DeKing). See Screenshot below:

1553136622_HostGame-SingleMapObjective.thumb.jpg.bc6cbb35511b5224b0bc9db2f805e038.jpg

Considering your hints I tried to work around the problem a bit more, this is what I got so far:

• There are 117 .pk3-maps in my etmain. Not only the classical ones, also F|A's, UJE's, MLB's, etc... (and all fully functional, no tmp files @FILIPE)
    The list in the "Single Map Objective" menu shows the last 56 of them (in correct alphabetical order starting from the bottom W - "Western Beta 1" going up to M - "Minastirith")
  • When starting a local server those maps are also the only ones to choose from in the Referee menu.
    I can change into those maps, it doesn't effect the list though @RendeL @DeKing
  • In the console I can see the server loading all etmain files.

And finally: THIS worked! 👍

8 hours ago, RendeL said:

With localhost it should work by /map mapname and it should load. That is if you have that map in your etmain folder.

I can start a map on my local server via /map command even if I can't choose it as a referee. So this is an option!

Still I would like to know why the game detects and loads all maps but won't let me see and choose them ... 🤔

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ElEl said:

I recommend you set up a server for yourself so you can use rcon commands to change maps with bsp file names and make server config changes.

But isn't "Host Game" exactly that? Setting up a local server in my home network via my PC? 🤔
About commands and configs: I have no clue about that eventhough I would love to learn more, do you know good ressources to read etc?

Would be great to 1. improve my own cfg if I know what to do and 2. set up a config for a local server, maybe even with my fav mod and settings ...

Because I don't only test new maps on a local server, I also regularly play little ET sessions with a few local friends and it often enough is annoying to be stuck with standard ET settings... 😄

For example (while testing the /map command earlier) I also tried changing warmup time from standard 60 to 20 sec (/set g_warmup). That worked. But changing spawn times from standard 30 to 10 (/set g_redlimbotime 10000) didn't work, do you know why? 🤔

8 hours ago, RendeL said:

ETL has support for omnibots too

I suppose that is "ET Legacy"? Would you recommend switching from standard 2.60b?

4 minutes ago, DeKing said:

I have +200 pk3 files in my ETmain folder, And in the host game selection I have exactly 203 maps avaible, that's why I doubt with any limitation.

Also via "Single Map Objective" ?
Then I wonder even more why my ET somehow prevents me from seeing them all but still loads them, available via command ?! 🤔😄

Anyway, thank you all for answering guys! 🙂🤟

3 minutes ago, Kowalski said:

Also via "Single Map Objective" ?

Yes, I have ETL, But I count the maps with the silent mod on, So I think not a matters of ETLegacy mod

No problem, we are here for that too :) Even if that's not exact answer, we are searching with you ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kowalski said:

I suppose that is "ET Legacy"? Would you recommend switching from standard 2.60b?

Yes. ETL is more stable, but if 2.60b works for you ok, then there is no need.

About the server cfg, you have a default cfg in your etmain folder and for silent mod here is the cvar list for it: https://mygamingtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Silent_Mod_Server_Cvar#g_ssDirectory

I mean you should be able to setup your own server.cfg for localhost too. I think I did it once, gave up with local server after issues, but if someone has other info, pls correct me.

Also your own cfg can be the bottleneck for maps visibility here if you have any server cvars in it (g_ or sv_ settings are most usual, delete those and see if it helps).

Yet as @ElEl said, renting own server doesn't cost much, especially if you play with some mates, that would work better with settings etc if you really into that.

Edited by RendeL
  • Like 2

If you want to play with friends I would setup a local server not host via the game. Also in regular play anymore than 40 maps is a bad idea. I have 1300 maps but they are not in my etmain..lol

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RendeL said:

renting own server doesn't cost much, especially if you play with some mates, that would work better with settings etc if you really into that.

7 hours ago, Barn!e said:

If you want to play with friends I would setup a local server not host via the game.

It's really just once in a while every few months, 5-6 players at most (friends and family), all at my place via my home wifi. I don't think setting up a paid server for that would be worth it. 🤔😄
And it usually works great via Host Game, just the maps problem and a few NQ mod settings I miss in standard mod ... 😄

7 hours ago, Barn!e said:

I have 1300 maps but they are not in my etmain.

So where are they stored or do you switch maps into your etmain if you need / want them, depending on which servers you play? 🤔
I thought ET can only detect maps when they are in etmain ...