ET giving me a very hard time. [crash/freeze]

nAbish
Go to solution Solved by captnconcrete,

• Leader
23 hours ago, nAbish said:

@captnconcrete Idk what it took out but the .pk3 cleaner worked... honestly didn't think to try it! Thank you!! 

I forgot about that, too! 😮  I have had some problems that it fixed, but they were never as bad as this one!

I am now using a "clean" installation that has never connected to a non-FA-server.  pk3 files from 'other servers' can cause problems.  My only problems with this FA-clean install has been from seemingly incomplete or corrupted downloads.  

Thanks @captnconcrete and all others who shared their ideas here.  Those 'other ideas' may help some reader in the future!. 😄

Edited by RedBaird
awkward phrasing last line fixed.
  • Like 2

• RedBaird changed the title to ET giving me a very hard time. [crash/freeze]
  • Platinum VIP

Funny thing is I already had a fresh install downloaded... Never connected to a server other than F|A, but whatever this was it worked. Any time I have problems in the future, along with anyone else, I'd recommend downloading and running it for as simple as it really is. Thanks for all the help guys, it's very much appreciated! 

• 100 1

Why dont you try ET Legacy ? When i bought my new PC, i had many problems like yours.

So i deleted 2.60b for ever.

ET Legacy works fine on new hardware.

https://www.etlegacy.com

Gengis

Edited by Gengis

• Platinum VIP

Just downloaded and tried, same exact thing happened...

EDIT: Could it be something in my EtKey?

Edited by nAbish

• Leader
2 hours ago, nAbish said:

I don't see how.  Jaymod should accept or reject the 32-digit-long whole GUID as soon as you connect, not later, I believe.

I may be able to help you test that possibility.  Will PM you now.

• Like 1

Silly question but did you allow ET through your firewall? Looks like a possible NAT restriction/firewall issue to me,  make sure ET is allowed to communicate properly.

Edited by kYmo

• Platinum VIP
14 hours ago, THE BEAST said:

is there any1 else in ur house that plays et?

I'm the only one

7 hours ago, kYmo said:

Silly question but did you allow ET through your firewall? Looks like a possible NAT restriction/firewall issue to me,  make sure ET is allowed to communicate properly.

I may have =0 I'll check it out.

error msg.jpg

Edited by nAbish

17 hours ago, nAbish said:

Then the problem is not with ET.
An ETkey cant cause such problems.

Gengis

• Leader
14 hours ago, Gengis said:

An ETkey cant cause such problems.

I don't think so, either, but I PM's a new one to Nabish for him to test with.  (Without overwriting his original file, which I hope he has copied somewhere else, just in case anyway 😄 )

On 1/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, nAbish said:

@Buckwild I've done this and now it will not download any maps or let me connect to server?... Idk if this is why but I have no idea what else to do.

EDIT: If I don't /exec rendel.cfg before playing it lets me connect hmmmmmm???

when this happen it is quit possible  u where trying to play as rendel????

On 2/6/2021 at 2:16 AM, nAbish said:

Did you uninstall 2.60b before you tried legacy?

I'm asking as if you didn't uninstall 2.60b then the legacy install would still be using the same jaymod folder as 2.60b did, although they are separate installs they both use the same mod folder (Jay/nit/NQ etc).

I'd advise at this point to either uninstall everything ET (keep your keys and configs) and start again with clean installs. So remove then reinstall legacy on its own without 2.60b so it creates its own folders including the mod folders like jaymod, OR delete your current jaymod folder and then run ET and let it download a new jaymod folder, least then you know its not an issue within the jaymod folder.

GL

Oh also you have a screenshot above with your GUID visible, maybe remove it. ;)

my legacy 2.76 asked if i would like to use the existing folders or create and isntall leagcy as its own. i choosed install your own directories and just copied my etcfg and etkey files. these separate folders went to c:/users/User1/documents/etlegacy by default on win 10.

Ps. 

I had more trouble by rendlecfg instead of solving it, but it helped me understand some cvars, so i could come up with my own cfg.

i wonder if a clean install with a default cfg and default etkey causes the same problems?

(i doubt the etkey, this shouldnt cause anything)

• Thanks 1