ET giving me a very hard time. [crash/freeze]

nAbish
Go to solution Solved by captnconcrete,

• Platinum VIP

So I recently downloaded ET to my new computer and I've got many of problems.

1. etguidauth.evenbalance.net pb issue (relentless)

2. downloaded new .cfg (rendel.cfg) will not save my key binds or anything (including my name)

3. game crashes/freezes within minutes of joining servers.

4. tried running as administrator and without nothing works.

5. when starting et I have to /exec rendel.cfg every single time and like i say it does not save or fix anything.

6. after every single map i have to quit ET and completely restart it

The new .cfg is exactly what i want it to be and the game runs smooth when it decides to work. Any help at all with these issues would be greatly appreciated. I have teamviewer downloaded and willing to allow someone with the right knowledge to take over to get this fixed please! I want to frag again instead of just speccing! Dx

• Surprise 1

• Leader

4.  With modern Windows operating systems, you must "run as admin" or else nothing will be saved into the "c:/program files...ET area.  That is a security measure.  

I am surprised that you can run ET as much as you have.  ET writes to your etconfig.cfg files in etmain and in any mod-folder of any server that you join.  It at least re-writes the "last_valid_renderer" value.  

2. Related to the above...nothing ET tries to save to program-files-ET will be saved without running as admin.  You can change a value, but it wont' be saved to any config file.  ET sometimes "gets cranky" about this. 

1.  You do not need to run PunkBuster on FA servers.  It is no longer required after they quit supporting ET.  The PBGUID aka W:ET is still used on FA-servers, but you don't need PB to install it for you anymore.

5.  You might be able to add "exec rendel.cfg" at the end of you autoexec.cfg file(s) and it should automatically run when you start ET.

6. Why do you have to quit?  What problems do you have at the "end of" or the "beginning of" maps? 

I wonder if this is related to my  "You can change a value, but it won't be saved to any config file" comment in #2 above.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

etguidauth.evenbalance.net doesn't work anymore, They stopped support for ET.

It used to check that GUID was valid, Ignore that...

I had the same thing, It's Windows 10 App Control, You must turn it off.

It restored etconfig.cfg whenever I shutdown ET.

Unfortunetly, I don't have Win 10 running now, I can't walk You through finding it.

Try looking for Windows Security

https://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/158942-app-browser-control-off-warning.html

This webpage shows what You are looking for...

Run ET as Admin: Right-click on ET shortcut on Desktop.

Properties, Compatabitity: Fill in Box: Run As Admin...Click OK

Edited by Buckwild
Add
  • Like 3
  • 100 2

• Platinum VIP

@Buckwild I've done this and now it will not download any maps or let me connect to server?... Idk if this is why but I have no idea what else to do.

EDIT: If I don't /exec rendel.cfg before playing it lets me connect hmmmmmm???

Edited by nAbish

• Platinum VIP
34 minutes ago, Buckwild said:

Start ET, Press Esc...In Console:/seta cl_allowdownload 1 [Press Enter]

Connect to Server

I did this changes nothing, I can connect without executing my .cfg. Seems to be working fine atm, but always eventually get kicked for pb.

u can change ur pb so its sleeping. or off. fa doesnt run pb on server so .  sounds to me like u have no etkey?

did u generate a etkey when u installed et? also did u click create a profile for et. this could be givin u problems too.

• 100 1

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, Buckwild said:

I use:  pb_cl_enable in My autoexec.cfg

You can get etkey from etkey.org

Ok, perfect thank you. Should I /pb_cl_disable ? Considering pb isn't necessary?

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, MikeSlayer said:

/seta cl_punkbuster "0"

This is the command I've been looking for lol thank you. I'll give it a whirl.

• Platinum VIP

Ok sooo ET has been running ok, but today every time I log on I "lag out." It's like I'm losing connection or timing out? At this point I know it's not pb anymore. I have to quit ET entirely and get back on just to be kicked back off.... Thanks in advance guys, much appreciated!

EDIT: So to confirm when I lag out I "stay on server," then once kicked it says "Server Connection Timed Out." 

I am running 40 upload-40 download wired connection. 

Edited by nAbish

• Solution

you could try the pak3 cleaner.

ADDED:  nAbish says 

Idk what it took out but the .pk3 cleaner worked... honestly didn't think to try it! Thank you!! 

or manually check for duplicate maps. and tmp.files and delete em.

mod   ?

server?

we have a tutorial for checking  lag. but its not lag its timing u out. 

i noticed alot of dead links there.

Edited by RedBaird
add nabish comment about pk3-cleaner fixed it
  • 100 1

• RedBaird changed the title to ET giving me a very hard time. [crash/freeze]