ET fighting against highly lagged players

the cake is a lie

I put together a side-by-side example of how a fight plays out when at least one player has a very high ping (350 vs 30) with the real world times approximately synced and then played back at  1/10th speed. The result is not anywhere close to as accurate as synchronizing a screen capture from each player but it gives a reasonable idea of what both players saw at the same real world time.

I used Sunlight's demo view to delag the game from Maths' perspective and then offset the start time by about 258ms and recorded.

+167ms to server (half of Maths' ping)
+25ms (on average) before next snapshot is sent out
+16.5ms to reach kuki
+50ms to be displayed due to interpolation

I then swapped the demo's perspective to kuki and rolled the server frame time back to the original start point and recorded again.

In the video below on the left is Math's POV and is unlagged to accurately show his aim. However, my understanding is that responses from the server are rendered earlier in this video than Math's would have seen them. I may misunderstand this part of the demo viewer but I think he would not feel the knockback from getting shot or see the "You killed kuki" message for another ~230ms or so after it happens in the video below.

On the right side is kuki's POV and is not unlagged because the demo doesn't contain sufficient data but his ping is low enough it doesn't much matter.

The disadvantage of high ping can also occasionally be an advantage when you play assertively such as at 0:08 where Maths come around the corner towards an already exposed kuki. Maths has a clear view of kuki and is starting to aim towards him before, from kuki's POV, Maths has even come around the corner.

Similarly at 0:32 when Maths appears somewhat idle, kuki stops strafing momentarily as he lines up his next shot. At this brief idle moment or change in direction is when Maths finishes him off from his perspective. Another interesting quirk (that isn't accurately shown in the video) is that kuki would learn he was killed by Maths almost 200ms before Maths learns that he has killed kuki.

As this hopefully makes clear, each players local game world can look very different. Just because a player appears to not be targeting you or reacting to your attack doesn't mean there aren't headshots already on the way to the server destined for you. My advice, for what it's worth, when fighting against or as a lagged player is the same as it would be on a LAN game: play assertively, keep moving, and try to kill the enemy as quickly as possible.

Edited by the cake is a lie
added info
  • Like 5
  • Surprise 1
  • 100 1

Interesting thread.

I'd advise any FPS gamer to read about and try to understand "peekers advantage". Also try and remember that the average reaction time is around 250ms and that the server will also adjust to try and even out the "lag" for all parties in a firefight etc.

Its early in the morning for me and i'm just off to bed so cant be arsed writing a huge load of babble but these videos from counter strike will help explain "peekers advantage" and give some good examples of when it does or doesn't effect game play between low and high pings.

Edited by Snuffs99

I whined so hard many times about that on NQ1 when i've seen a player QrQ who take flamethrower and was teleporting across map. But no response, on jay1 there also some players who i think rather taking advantage from high ping and lagging, like ppl who lag and running with the best thing called Poison Knife when they jumping and lagging being unhitable. Dunno what to do , for me members should put them to spec and pm or talk with them to fix ping/lag. my few cents

17 minutes ago, Bobekk said:

I whined so hard many times about that on NQ1 when i've seen a player QrQ who take flamethrower and was teleporting across map. But no response, on jay1 there also some players who i think rather taking advantage from high ping and lagging, like ppl who lag and running with the best thing called Poison Knife when they jumping and lagging being unhitable. Dunno what to do , for me members should put them to spec and pm or talk with them to fix ping/lag. my few cents

well thats exactually what i try to do pm them and try to fix lag. but we cant just kick players for high ping sometimes it just is what it is.

• 100 1

3 hours ago, Bobekk said:

I whined so hard many times about that on NQ1 when i've seen a player QrQ who take flamethrower and was teleporting across map. But no response, 

Tend to ignore whine 😛 .

Can't be putting players spec just cos they have a slightly higher ping, anything sub 300 should be fine and QrQ is usually around the 1-200 mark. What do you want members to do?? Most players with high pings tend to have high pings because their provider is shite or its out of their control.

Also not being funny mate but i cant ever see you having any issues killing QrQ and his flamer.... warp or no warp. The disadvantages for players of high pings usually outweigh the advantages so the lower ping player usually has the upper hand.

Edited by Snuffs99

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, New guy said:

Wow man, maths (who is me) actually managed to kill him, when i was watching pov, I was like 99 percent sure that he will kill me, but i killed him somehow, Lol

If your Maths why have you created a new profile??

• Thanks 1
  • 100 1

1 hour ago, Snuffs99 said:

If your Maths why have you created a new profile??

all accounts are merged he will be keeping this one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Leader
47 minutes ago, D..X said:

all accounts are merged he will be keeping this one. 

large.10826949_Vice-RedB-OffTopicEMOJI22  Thanks for "soothing" my confusion today! 😄 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

On 9/12/2020 at 1:12 PM, captnconcrete said:

well thats exactually what i try to do pm them and try to fix lag. but we cant just kick players for high ping sometimes it just is what it is.

just curious how can people fix lag