ET DPI mouse

Olykiller

wow I'm reading this topic, and realizing how little I know about how to optimize some settings...

Maybe the fact that ET is the only online game I play doesn't give me enough perspectives 😅

I'm using the following:

>125 fps

> in game mouse sensitivity set at 1

> 1000 dpi

> 500 hz

No idea if that's good or not for ET, but I got used to it over time 👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cross Marian said:

wow I'm reading this topic, and realizing how little I know about how to optimize some settings...

Maybe the fact that ET is the only online game I play doesn't give me enough perspectives 😅

I'm using the following:

>125 fps

> in game mouse sensitivity set at 1

> 1000 dpi

> 500 hz

No idea if that's good or not for ET, but I got used to it over time 👍

Whatever works best for you tbh, if your happy with those settings then stick with them.
I've played about with various settings over my many years playing ET and changing i can assure you that changing anything will not make you suddenly better, i find if anything at first any change(s) only make you worse as your used to what your used to...if that makes sense.

My latest experimental changes are to m_pitch and m_yaw, as FA doesn't enforce the older PB ranges i've basically been able to add an extra zero to the values. So for instance instead of 0.022 i now have 0.0022 BUT all i've done then is upped the in game sensitivity from 1 to 11 to compensate for the much lower pitch and yaw speeds...effectively lowering 1 value and upping another to get it back to what i'm used to "feel" wise......Am i suddenly better???? Nope.  :D

If your happy with the settings you have then my advise is stick with them. 

• Like 2

I'll just say that cg_fov and r_aspectratio and r_customaspect settings are equally important.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ed_ said:

I'll just say that cg_fov and r_aspectratio and r_customaspect settings are equally important.

Can u give more details pls? 

2 hours ago, ed_ said:

Are r_aspectratio and customaspect not cheat protected cvars? Unless you want a weird view point (suppose a widened greater than 120 FOV) i don't see why you would need those cvars. I think most ratio and scaling can be done via gfx cards nowadays so you shouldn't really need to touch those 2, lets face it a ratio of 16:9 isn't really that far from 16:10.

Fov certainly can make a difference though, i currently use 106 but i'm using a 27"monitor. At times i have found that if i get the "blank" bullet effect i can either up or lower my fov by 1 and i seem to get a better connect.

Edited by Snuffs99

3 hours ago, Gladiator said:

Fov for 16:9 is 106,27

For 16.10. Is 100,39

I have 16:9 but Used to play 100 fov

Do you think it would be worth to have a bind that switches between a lower fov setting (say, 90) and a higher one?

Wouldn't it help in long range duels to be able to quickly lower your fov setting in order to improve your aim?

7 hours ago, ed_ said:

The cvar r_aspectratio does not exist in the source code for etmain or jaymod. Perhaps it comes from another mod or is a rtcw config relic?

r_customaspect does exist in ET but the lines of code that act on it's value have been commented out.

ET is build on a underlying 640x480 world (4:3 aspect ratio). In this aspect ration at the default 90 degree horizontal field of view  you get a vertical field of view of ~73.7 degs. I adapted the relevant lines from the souce that you can plug into google--just enter your screen width, height, and cg_fov value to see your vertical field of view.

atan(height / (width / tan(cg_fov / 360 * pi))) * 360 / pi

Playing at 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio without changing your cg_fov reduced your vertical field of view to 58.7 or 64.0 degs respectively. To get back to the same vertical fov (and potentially the same game 'feel') as in 4:3 use the values given above by Gladiator. You can also compute them yourself by rearranging the above expression.

atan(16 / (9 / tan(73.7397953 * pi / 360))) / pi * 360 = 106.260205

atan(16 / (10 / tan(73.7397953 * pi / 360))) / pi * 360 = 100.388858

But, then again, this thread was supposed to about mouse dpi.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

6 hours ago, Cross Marian said:

Do you think it would be worth to have a bind that switches between a lower fov setting (say, 90) and a higher one?

Wouldn't it help in long range duels to be able to quickly lower your fov setting in order to improve your aim?

set fov1 "+movedown; cg_fov 90; cg_crosshairSize "24"
set fov2 "-movedown; cg_fov 100; cg_crosshairSize "42"
set fvo "vstr fov1"
set fvu "vstr fov2"
bind MOUSE2 "+vstr fvo fvu"
 I use that try it

• Like 1

Putting my 2 cents in, always played with a pretty barebone cfg in ET. Currently playing at 1600 DPI 2.05 IG sens with a 500hz mouse at default 85 fps.

Although I believe some settings may help, never really bothered with them. Just practicing got me to about 53-60% acc range most games.

Always ran higher sens in every FPS I played, I suggest you just go with what feels right to you and other than that practice practice practice. (Aimtrainers such as Aimbeast, Aimlab, Kovaak may help you improve more rapidly due to the fact that you'll notice your errors / weak points in there much easier). To finish lower sens is prolly easier to adapt to yeah because there is a bit more room for mistakes

Edited by HURMA
  • 100 2