ET Server Suggestion Rush Rule Clarity - Silent #1

therealposeidon

Hi everyone,

I would like clarification regarding the rush rule on Silent #1. 

Currently it reads:

There is no rush rule on this server but we do encourage people to play the map for a minimum of 5 minutes before completing the final objective so that everyone can enjoy the map.

Okay, as per my understanding there is nothing against completing a map before 5 minutes. But it is encouraged to play at least 5 minutes.

Now the problem for me is because I am a person who likes to do objective and encourage others to do the same, sometimes I can and do complete the objective before 5 minutes. This leads to server regulars spamming this rush rule in console. I try to explain that there is no rush and it is only encouraged to play a minimum of 5 minutes. But this leads to an argument of why does it say it encourages to play for at least 5 mins etc. This can be quite confusing to some people even though it clearly states you can complete the objective before 5 minutes. 

So, I would like some clarity on what I should be doing if I see someone else completing the objective before 5 mins and what I should be doing as well as an admin in training in this situation.  

Should I be telling people who try to do objective before 5 mins to hold off or should I let them complete the objective? 

Thanks ^_^ 

Edited by therealposeidon
  • Like 4

• Platinum VIP

To me it’s like saying you don’t have to eat healthy, but we would encourage you to. Then when you’re at the buffet eating from the Dessert bar and everybody around you is eating a nice salad

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 2

Usually when the point of the game is to win it, players look to do that as quickly as possible. So to be honest, I don't really get the rush rule. Maybe on a so called beginner's server, but anywhere else it seems pointless. Analogy to eating would be more like: buffet recommends you to try all foods they serve, but you decide to just eat pizza.

Edited by Ellen
typo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

To me it’s like saying you don’t have to eat healthy, but we would encourage you to. Then when you’re at the buffet eating from the Dessert bar and everybody around you is eating a nice salad

For sure. 

Just now, Ellen said:

Usually when the point of the game is to win it, players look to do that as quickly as possible. So to be honest, I don't really get the rush rule. Maybe on a so called beginner's server, but anywhere else it seems pointless. Analogy to eating would be more like: Buffet recommends you to try all foods they server, but you decide to just eat pizza.

I agree, thats funny you and hipkat had the same analogy ahah.

Maybe we can amend the rule to just say there is no rush rule because the encourage part is very confusing. 

• Like 2

We encourage people to play for longer than 5 minutes because if people enjoy that map they'll be frustrated and end up leaving when it gets rushed. Just ask them politely not to rush so that everyone else can enjoy the map. We would prefer people stay on our servers and not leave out of anger. We can open a discussion for changing the rule and making it enforcable if people would like that. I don't know how big of an issue rushing generally is on Silent1. I'd recommend making a new post and opening a poll with options of changing it to be enforcable, leaving it as it is or removing the rule altogether.

Edit: If you do make the poll, here would be the place to do it: https://fearless-assassins.com/forum/49-et-suggestion/

Edited by ElEl
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ElEl said:

We encourage people to play for longer than 5 minutes because if people enjoy that map they'll be frustrated and end up leaving when it gets rushed. Just ask them politely not to rush so that everyone else can enjoy the map. We would prefer people stay on our servers and not leave out of anger. We can open a discussion for changing the rule and making it enforcable if people would like that. I don't know how big of an issue rushing generally is on Silent1. I'd recommend making a new post and opening a poll with options of changing it to be enforcable, leaving it as it is or removing the rule altogether.

Edit: If you do make the poll, here would be the place to do it: https://fearless-assassins.com/forum/49-et-suggestion/

Oh I totally understand. It's not much of a problem during the day (EST time) because there are usually around 15 people each team on the server so its hard to do it during that time. But when its night time like 11-12pm, there are only 5-8 people a team and during that time it can be a problem. Usually the maps where it can happen are frostbite, braundorf and ice. 

Sure, I can do that as well. Thanks for the tip! :D 

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure bud 😕 If you don't get it figured out by the end of the day I'll try make a post with one.

• Like 2

I believe the posting a poll requires a certain permission level within the forum.

the rush rule has evolved over the years and I think the spam '!rush' command may not be quite up to date as there is no rush rule on Silent 1 and Hardcore. we may need to adjust that since it can be confusing.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

A hard 5 minute rule would be a little silly I think for shorter maps like Beerrun or Erdenberg. Those maps are only 12 minutes long and sometimes the team's best shot occurs within those first 5 minutes. If you're forced to wait for axis to regroup you might not get another shot.

• Like 1

Yes I strongly agree with the no rush rule, as its enforced pretty much everywhere I also try and keep the game clean of rushing when I'm on, as it can definitely frustrate some players. 

Cons

• Frustrates players, makes them leave
  • No fun
  • No time to enjoy the map
  • Players become agitated in chat etc

Pros

• Well, I can't name one.. :P  
  • Like 1

I wouldn't enforce a rush rule if i had the choice. Except on servers with double jumps + adrenaline (like Beg2).

I also get frustrated if one of my favorite map is rushed. But it's also part of the game.

And there are ways to avoid a map being rushed:

> Make sure teams are balanced before the map begins. Balanced teams means a more fair game, less likely to be rushed.

> If you're on the defending team, camp the obj room during first minutes (to give time to your team to organize and avoid a 5min end map).

> If you are on the offensive team, well not much to be done here, except not rushing forward. I don't know, improve your sniping skills during 5min for example :P

Also, I see a lot of people talking about the complains. But have you ever !gib or !freeze a player who took the objective too early? Believe me, he/she will be complaining as well ^_^

So either way, some players will complain, because there will always be someone who disagrees. And that's okay, as long as we explain camly what the rules are.

Final argument, enforcing a hard rush rule means more work for admins. I really don't mind it personally (!gib someone is always fun).

But the beginning of a map is usually the moment admins have the most to do. Dealing with teams balance, players leaving/joining, switching after shuffle, players afk, etc.

• 100 3