M.2 SSD or regular SSD

C3jZi

Is an m.2 ssd worth it or does it make much difference than a regular one for gaming?

i built a pc myself and thought i could save some money on an ssd so is there a big difference from an regular on or an M.2 the regular one is cheaper i watched some youtube videos and there is not such a big difference between them like 5 or 10 seconds

• Administrators

What's the size? I personally haven't seen 5 sec difference in slowest vs fastest SSD if - 

1. Temp is maintained good. 

2. SSD is not full. 

See here -  Save the money! Buy bigger SSD :)

100% with Daredevil, for normal loads you won't notice a difference. Go for the regular one.

You can even get away buying a low end tier SSD and it will run fantastic on a home/gaming computer.

There´s now no difference in NVME and SATA SSD  prices anymore, don´t see to save 10$ for outdated tech:

Adata xpg 8200 vs Crucial 500, just checked the price diff in 1TB models a week or so ago, it was like 15€.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum VIP

Ironically, I noticed the M.2 socket on my MB and did some digging around on them, since I don't know anything about them, then I cam across PCI adapters that supports up to 4 more drives?? (https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Hyper-M-2-x16-Card/dp/B0753JTJTG?pf_rd_p=13a36307-d519-46e7-8f10-90b6cb959823&pd_rd_wg=tATEq&pf_rd_r=2K2XTDZRMX75RX0XD8P9&ref_=pd_gw_cr_simh&pd_rd_w=Rr1Qg&pd_rd_r=34230e72-f7f5-4f27-a3ae-9976a856b765)

The prices are really nice on them so I''m wondering if I should switch to or add these drives that I know nothing about.

BTW, much better video

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

The point of buying M.2 NVMe, of course not.

M.2 NVMe read speed ~2000-4000MB/s, price 250$ behind 1TB, price 75$ behind 480GB, 
SSD read speed ~500MB/s, price 125$ behind 1TB

HDD read speed ~100MB/s, price 50$ behind 1TB

NVME under games is not profitable. On disc with processor i5 6xxx or i5 7xxx, disk price will be close to SSD. On disc with processor i5 8xxx or i5 9xxx the cost will be 3 times higher.
In addition, you have to be careful which one to choose, because the motherboard supports the ones listed. So you can be disappointed with older equipment from the year 2015-2018. Because he may not read new ones NVMe.
The hot temperature makes it necessary to buy cooling. Additional cost and the need to check temperatures. 

SSD it is more handy and sufficient for strong games. :)

Edited by FILIPE
  • Like 1

In this system atm i've got the following.

NVMe: Samsung 970 evo plus 500GB (Windows drive).

SSD: Samsung Evo 840 500GB (used to be my windows install but now just a clone of my NMVe Windows Drive in case my NVMe ever dies a death)

Hybrid SSHD (SSD/HDD): Seagate Firecuda 2TB 2.5inch for backing up, downloads, etc, etc.

Standard HDD: Seagate skyhawk 4TB Sata3 5900rpm 3.5inch also for backing up and extra storage.

Ext SATA3 caddie HDD: Seagate Skyhawk 4TB, Truecrypt secured for important stuff.

NVMe was made specifically for SSD and speeds but can i really notice much difference in speeds with the NVMe v's the SSD?? Tbvh no, not really. Sure Windows and games "might" load 1-2 seconds quicker on the NVMe but other than that when it comes to transfers from one to the other your always going to be governed by the slowest speed device anyway. Yes its nice to say i've got an NVMe but most mobo's atm only have support for 1x NVMe so for now your always limited and will in reality never really use that NVMe to its true potential. My 970 benchmarks @ 3400MB/s but most i'll ever get from it is 500MB/s if i move something from or too my 840 SSD.  

Heat wise my 970 runs hot at times as its basically located under the GFX card, yes i could get a heatsink or even water cool it but that just gets silly then. 

Maybe in a few years when motherboards can support 4-5 NVMe drives things may be different but for now stick with SATA3 SSD's, at least you can have 4, 5 or even 6+ of them and transfer between them at the same rates i can even though i have an NVMe.

Why in the heck did this get bumped after 6+ months? Sheesh, this makes my head hurt.
OK... here's the quick rundown on SSDs.
NVMe is always best for R/W performance. Period. It's also always the most expensive. It does have one downside-- taking up valuable PCI lanes-- especially if you're on an Intel system.
Next would be MLC SATA NAND. Most people won't notice a difference between NVMe and MLC SATA. Not in gaming, not in editing photos, not in editing your sister's wedding.
After that comes TLC SATA NAND. Here's where you start to notice a difference. Often in the 1-10 second range. Nothing major, still leagues better than a hard disk.
After TLC comes QLC, which at that point... you might as well stick to your hard drive.