n30cortex

What do you think?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. XP Sync for the same Mods?

• It would be great
    • Nah, keep it the way it is
    • i like trains

Hey everyone,

I was thinking of an update of the XP Safe function on the Servers.

At the moment all servers safe their XPs only on their own filesystem so the stats are just on one server.

What about the idea of syncing the mods together and create a "XP SAFE SYNC" feature for the mods?

Before XP Sync:

Jay1: 35000 XP
Jay2:   123 XP
Beg1: 12000 XP
Beg2: 23000 XP
HC:     321 XP
Sil1: 15000 XP

----------------

After XP sync:

Jay1: 47123 XP
Jay2: 47123 XP
Beg1: 47123 XP
Beg2: 38321 XP
HC:   38321 XP
Sil1: 38321 XP

To be honest, for the Admins it would get harder to see who is active on which server then.

Thats why we could also implement the Playtime and the online time of the players.

Also some features as Live Player stats could be implemented with that idea.

For the programming thing i could help maybe.

But atm its just an idea but i'm gonna set up a private server to test if theres a way to get it work.

Lemme hear some critics on that.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Leader

I do not think it's feasible. Already we have limits at the BDD level. Morever it poses a lot of problem as for example the fact that the USERGUID is on two server at the same time or other

+ how did you store the class levels ? Like on Jaymod a class have 5 levels, but on some servers you have 4 levels or 9 levels 

Edited by Scarface06

as i saw on jaymod all classes are the same 🙂

and a guid cant be on 2 server at the same time i think. well maybe it can but i'd be totally bullsh*t to do that

the concept isnt finished yet. also like in the post i said that i'm gonna test it first on private and then see if we could roll out

2 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

We will have to consider the "plusses", the "minuses" and the "interestings".  :D

it would be great = plus
nah keep it = minus

i like trains = interested ;)

• Haha 1

I dont want an option where I cant see the xp I collected from that particular server.

But as an addition it would be nice that for example I push tab twice, and I see my overal xp from all jaymods, not just j3. Or I push tab, I see my xp on J3, and if I push tab and 1, I see my xp on j1, push 2 j2, 3 for j3, and 4 for overall. I dont know if thats possible, but something like this would be nice :) 

• Administrators

All mods use different format. First question is how you will make different mod aka different style - understand same xp ? 

Ex - NQ has different level system, jaymod has different and silent has different. Counting of XP is different on top levels are different as well. 

Best someone can do is create their own XP system - and use sqlite for it and use LUA. Then use same file for all servers except jaymod cos jaymod doesn't have LUA. 

13 hours ago, daredevil said:

All mods use different format. First question is how you will make different mod aka different style - understand same xp ? 

Ex - NQ has different level system, jaymod has different and silent has different. Counting of XP is different on top levels are different as well. 

Best someone can do is create their own XP system - and use sqlite for it and use LUA. Then use same file for all servers except jaymod cos jaymod doesn't have LUA. 

Thats why i would seperate the mods to sync.

Sync all jaymod into one XP Counter

Sync all Silentmod into one XP Counter

so u got different XP's by different mods :)

Decent idea in theory. In practice- at least for JayMod- I could see this melting down pretty quick. And honestly I cringe at the thought of the filesizes of these DB's and the response times- major overhauls would have to be done across the board.

And TBH, I'm not 100% onboard with this. It'd be fun and have a novelty factor for a day or two... but it'd get boring pretty quick and tilt those who like to reset their XP when playing for a challenge vs keeping their XP on their favorite server when playing for fun.
All I can think of is "why?". What purpose would it serve besides being a novelty side project?

16 hours ago, Vindstot said:

I dont want an option where I cant see the xp I collected from that particular server.

But as an addition it would be nice that for example I push tab twice, and I see my overal xp from all jaymods, not just j3. Or I push tab, I see my xp on J3, and if I push tab and 1, I see my xp on j1, push 2 j2, 3 for j3, and 4 for overall. I dont know if thats possible, but something like this would be nice :) 

I'd call that impossible.
-Pressing TAB to display XP is clientside. So that'd would require client modifications. It'd be a pain, only work for one mod, and bloat the code... but not a huge deal if we use some a prefs file to store those servers clientside. But who wants to start five different ET executables just to see their XP across servers by pressing TAB n times? It'd be faster just to type "/connect server.domain".

-When you press TAB, netcode of the game queries the server to get XP. How would it get XP if you were offline? Opening up userinfo queries is a big no-go, that'd be huge security risk.

Edited by Xernicus
  • Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, n30cortex said:

Sync all jaymod into one XP Counter

Not possible. Each server will read and write user.db - what happens when 1 is trying to read and another trying to write?  In jaymod this are sequential events. Now if corrupted data or half written data is being read, we have the problem. Race condition would screw up everything. 

silent mod also hard because silent, HC and B2 - are all in 3 separate machines. Their is no remote path option. 

Only on NQ where single file is being accessed for XP store, it was possible and NQ XP sharing is already done between NQ #1 and or Fun #2. 

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1