Upgraded video card - Now ET performance sucks

Beeshbum
Go to solution Solved by daredevil,

listen to me well, I have never said that my advice is to be followed obligatorily, but if a stranger writes me the sentence:
12 hours ago, Aniky said:
Stop giving it half the settings that are completely disabled

I consider it an imperative verb, = therefore a command given to me on a public forum, not from an administrator but rather from a stranger, who commands me what I have to write and what I do not have to write, I do not accept it.

anyone who has a problem with the configuration of Enemy Territory, can feel free to try the various advice given by the various answers, but no one should feel so boss to forbid me to post my version of help

and with this I close the discussion
  and I repeat you're a very rude Aniky

P.S.

if the FPS does not exceed 60
it means that the v-sync of the ati card is activated somewhere, you have to find and disable it, also in the control panel of Enemy Territory, there is the option to disable it, or as I wrote in the previous reply, it is sufficient, in the cfg check this command

r_swapinterval (1 - v-sync enable or 0 v-sync disable)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lenovo said:

listen to me well, I have never said that my advice is to be followed obligatorily, but if a stranger writes me the sentence:
12 hours ago, Aniky said:
Stop giving it half the settings that are completely disabled

I consider it an imperative verb, = therefore a command given to me on a public forum, not from an administrator but rather from a stranger, who commands me what I have to write and what I do not have to write, I do not accept it.

anyone who has a problem with the configuration of Enemy Territory, can feel free to try the various advice given by the various answers, but no one should feel so boss to forbid me to post my version of help

and with this I close the discussion
  and I repeat you're a very rude Aniky

P.S.

if the FPS does not exceed 60
it means that the v-sync of the ati card is activated somewhere, you have to find and disable it, also in the control panel of Enemy Territory, there is the option to disable it, or as I wrote in the previous reply, it is sufficient, in the cfg check this command

r_swapinterval (1 - v-sync enable or 0 v-sync disable)

Thanks for this. This appears to have helped raise my FPS back up to the 120s or 130s. I feel like I could still get better FPS on this machine somehow, but we're getting it better! The setting was in the AMD Radeon settings, as shown in the screenshot way up top in the thread. Thanks for pointing this out.

Anyone else have any suggestions For things that I can/should change that are relevant to my system? So far, I changed hunkmegs in the autoexec.cfg to be 100 and changed the AMD Radeon settings to disable vsync.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Beeshbum said:

Thanks for this. This appears to have helped raise my FPS back up to the 120s or 130s. I feel like I could still get better FPS on this machine somehow, but we're getting it better! The setting was in the AMD Radeon settings, as shown in the screenshot way up top in the thread. Thanks for pointing this out.

Anyone else have any suggestions For things that I can/should change that are relevant to my system? So far, I changed hunkmegs in the autoexec.cfg to be 100 and changed the AMD Radeon settings to disable vsync.

Did you do cl_maxpackets 100 and other suggestions that were made here?

6 minutes ago, Chuckun said:

Did you do cl_maxpackets 100 and other suggestions that were made here?

Apologies. It was maxpackets, not hunkmegs that I changed. I'm not sure what else to change as there was some discussion on suggestions made that were not relevant to my system.

• Like 1

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Beeshbum said:

com_hunkMegs and cl_maxpackets are not same. 

Best way to figure out how much your machine can handle - Record demo on server. Then replay  demo on your PC with max FPS aka com_maxfps 500 -  see on an avg - how much FPS you get. 

Then try same maxpfs while playing - see if you can keep it stable.  This is classic trick to figure out how much you can score out of your drivers. New gen CPU's and GPU's are more then enough to handle the ET. It's all about drivers now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daredevil said:

com_hunkMegs and cl_maxpackets are not same. 

Best way to figure out how much your machine can handle - Record demo on server. Then replay  demo on your PC with max FPS aka com_maxfps 500 -  see on an avg - how much FPS you get. 

Then try same maxpfs while playing - see if you can keep it stable.  This is classic trick to figure out how much you can score out of your drivers. New gen CPU's and GPU's are more then enough to handle the ET. It's all about drivers now. 

Yeah, sorry, realized I wrote the wrong setting (hunkmegs instead of maxpackets). In all my time I've never recorded a demo or anything. Not even sure I know how to do that and then play it back on my PC lol. I'll see what I can find. I noticed with the Radeon settings, the quality of buildings and such is not nearly as good. I'm guessing at least one of the settings is setting it to lower quality, though I'm not sure exactly which. Gotta do some testing around the different settings.

• Administrators
  • Solution

Also make sure you have correct cvar now for this one - r_lastValidRenderer

It should pick up your new GPU instead of new one. To check value  of it - open console and type r_lastValidRenderer and then hit enter - it will show the current value to u. 

Some people buy gaming laptops/PC but then they struggle with FPS and here is the reason - why. Game picking correct GPU is most important as now a days CPU's come with in-build GPU. 

1. Game picking wrong GPU because of incorrect settings. 

image.png

2. Now change the settings so that it picks up NVDA instead of stupid auto! 

image.png

3. With correct setting - 

image.png

• Like 2

"C:\Users\.....\......\my et\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" + set com_hunkMegs "192" + set com_zoneMegs "64" + set com_soundMegs "160"

i have not seen this said yet .. but if u dont change these setting this way in commandline perimeter it wont change.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Beeshbum said:

Yeah, sorry, realized I wrote the wrong setting (hunkmegs instead of maxpackets). In all my time I've never recorded a demo or anything. Not even sure I know how to do that and then play it back on my PC lol. I'll see what I can find. I noticed with the Radeon settings, the quality of buildings and such is not nearly as good. I'm guessing at least one of the settings is setting it to lower quality, though I'm not sure exactly which. Gotta do some testing around the different settings.

make sure u first have a demo folder in the mod ur using..sometimes they dont dl with one u have to create it.then u just hit f12 in game it recordes then f12 again to stop and .make sure again ur correct mod and go to replays .. and watch.

• Like 1

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, captnconcrete said:

"C:\Users\.....\......\my et\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" + set com_hunkMegs "192" + set com_zoneMegs "64" + set com_soundMegs "160"

i have not seen this said yet .. but if u dont change these setting this way in commandline perimeter it wont change.

Partially you are right - but overall not a valid case. 

hunkmegs - you can set in config. Should work. 

soundmegs - you can set in config as well. Will work in config. 160 is still to high. 128MB should be good enough on an avg. If you play on servers where you need more - feel free to increase it. 

zonemeg - is latched in ET. Also is their any need to change zonemeg? 64MB is too high when you are not even using 24MB. Only increase if needed. 

IMO - I don't see any need so far to use zonemegs higher then 24MB. 

image.png

Even if make it 48MB - it will still use 24MB :) So either it's showing incorrect status or it's always latched but depending on how much it's used - it wouldn't make huge difference in performance. 

image.png

For soundmegs - 

image.png

• Like 1

192 hunk 128 zone and 64 sound is what i use.

i have been messing with this stuff for a long time .. i even postedpics on here of my 500fps in et on  bunker1.yes i know what happens if its that high.

if u mess with hunk megs  go above 256  u still notice a diff.   load times incress alot.

i concurr tho hunk zone and sound arent huge fps factors just wanted too mention it cuz zone is latched and has to be in ur load target.

there is so much info on these forums already about this stuff.  also makes diff if ur card is only 256 gig 512 gig 1 gig and so on how it will perform in et. certain settings will infact create a more fluid game ..

so why if i set my fps too 150 it works much better than 140 .. and sticks at 166 most of my views.when at 140 it doesnt go over 143 and doesnt seem rights. ..maybe better to pm u . sorry.

Edited by captnconcrete

even when I played back in 2003 when Enemy Territory came out, I had an old computer with
pentium 4
video card rivatnt 2
2 GB ddr2

I played with com_hunkmegs 192 and com_hunkmegs 64

and I had 125 fps stable with all the details at the minimum and r_picmip 3

17 hours ago, daredevil said:

Also make sure you have correct cvar now for this one - r_lastValidRenderer

It should pick up your new GPU instead of new one. To check value  of it - open console and type r_lastValidRenderer and then hit enter - it will show the current value to u. 

Some people buy gaming laptops/PC but then they struggle with FPS and here is the reason - why. Game picking correct GPU is most important as now a days CPU's come with in-build GPU. 

1. Game picking wrong GPU because of incorrect settings. 

image.png

2. Now change the settings so that it picks up NVDA instead of stupid auto! 

image.png

3. With correct setting - 

image.png

Thanks! I checked this and it IS using the proper video card.

17 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

Thanks, I've added a variation of this. I didn't really see any sort of positive (or maybe even negative) impact on FPS with this though. Not sure if I should have expected that.

• Like 1

Run ET as admin and also post SS of lagometer here.

\com_maxfps and \cg_maxpackets use any combination of "magic numbers" 43, 76, 125 and in addition 52 and 90, to see if lagometer gets nice smooth and green- \cg_lagometer 1. And \rate plays a big part also, so the number of combinations goes higher;)

I guess you can´t go over "stable ISP settings", so I´d start with \rate 40000 and \cg_maxpackets 100. If it´s unstable then lower maxpackets to 60, and if still unstable then lower \rate to 32000... If it gets stable then try to hit highest stable maxfps.

You can type \com_ and hit TAB to see all values starting with \com, works with \cg etc. Also works with any partial match \cg_lag and hit TAB.

So you can see if those values are actually set from config or ET still uses defaults from under ETMAIN folder.

I don´t know if I even can possible get over stable 125 FPS. But I have I7 and Fury X and still have to drop down settings for maxfps 90\76 sometimes when server is full and my ping becomes bad.

Stable FPS > highest FPS, though people might have different meaning for stable.

I don´t think its a good idea to change setting for games in general under AMD settings, unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. I´ve always left it "Use application settings".

Some interesting reading in here:

It sure as hell isn´t that GPU can´t handle the FPS, it´s more stuck in CPU and "other settings". My GPU is utilized in 1% with ET and I can run BFV in medium-high at stable 90 FPS.

• Like 1