Looking for a new phone!

• Administrators

Well I dont have the biggest budget....something probably cheaper than an iphone but then yet prices vary so much and sales can lead to great deals

If you get G7, samsung was offering free 32 or 40 inch smart full HDTV while back. Sell the TV and phone cost will come down. Save on your monthly bill and not on phone much. 

OR Get unlocked phone outright. 

• Like 2

Android 5.0.1 is VERY old. 6.0.1 is the newest and being an ASUS, which I love all things ASUS, it's probably one of  the last to get updates

I was running KitKat (custom ROM) on a Galaxy Nexus the last year that I used it as my primary phone (5 yrs). Towards the end, the flash memory was getting tired and slow, hence the need to replace it.

But in terms of Mobile OS, Most apps require Ice Cream Sandwich or above on the Play Store, and that probably won't change for some time, just like how Gingerbread still had/has plenty of updated apps available.

TL;DR Why does it really matter how old the OS is? If they don't update it, get a custom ROM like CyanogenMod. Only reason I can think of would be "keeping up w/ the Joneses"

I got my LG G5 a few months back when they were still offering the free extra battery and cradle. Cost was $650. Was looking at the LG G4 prior to that, and potentially a Moto or OnePlus.

Only limitation was my carrier (Sprint), so Couldn't the the OnePlusTwo.

Anywayyys...

You will probably not notice a performance difference between the Moto G4 and G4 Plus, but the camera in the G4 Plus looks far superior to me. Worth an extra $100? Probably not, especially if you're trying to keep the expenses down.

• Like 1

So I am pleased looking at the moto g4 like karizmatic said but I dont know whether to go with the normal 32gb moto g4 or the 64 gb g4 plus

Note: the g4 plus has 4gb of ram and the normal g4 has 2gb

Normal: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-4th-generation-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-white/5191301.p?id=bb5191301&skuId=5191301

Plus: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g-plus-(4th-generation)-4g-lte-with-64gb-memory-cell-phone-(unlocked)-black/5191504.p?id=bb5191504&skuId=5191504

Im not a hardcore gamer on my phone and dont do a lot of crazy customization but I would like it to last several years and not have problems so is 2gb ram enough? 

If you're not a heavy gamer and don't do a lot of customization then 2gbs is fine. However, think about how long you're going to hold onto the phone, 4gb is a big jump in performance and your experience will be smoother in the long run.

I think if money isn't an issue to just get the 64gb, it'll last you.

Here are some other suggestions: These prices are on Amazon.com, unlocked.

One Plus 3 - 5.5"  $300 6gbs of Ram - 64gbs = Great value, if you can get one.

Zenfone 2 Laser - 5.5"  $230 3gbs Ram - 32gbs = Modest value, Zenfone 3 is coming out soon.

Moto X Pure Edition -5.7"  $300 3gbs Ram - 16gbs = (I owned this phone, It was wicked good. QHD screen and great camera, and it was blazing fast)

Huawei Honor 5X - 5.5"  $200 2gbs Ram - 16gbs = Not a fan of Huawei or their software, but they seem to be caught up to speed now.

LG Nexus 5X - 5.2" $300  2gbs Ram - 16gbs = Stock Android experience

iPhone SE - 5.0" $400  2gbs RAM - 16gbs = iOS is always blazing fast no matter the hardware.

If you're feeling something high-end - Consider the Samsung Galaxy S7, LG G5, or the Xperia Lineup.

Personally, I've owned Android for the longest time because of the value. I have a 6s now and while it was mighty expensive, it's still a phone I trust will be fast in the few years to come - as past phones have shown!

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

TL;DR Why does it really matter how old the OS is? If they don't update it, get a custom ROM like CyanogenMod. Only reason I can think of would be "keeping up w/ the Joneses"

It's a lot more than that. For one, almost all custom ROMs are based on 6.0. THe OP's on those ROMs tell you to come from a 6.0 Stock Base.

Which means the baseband is updated for one thing. Plus security patches, battery optimizations, etc.

Anybody has any idea how much phones these days actually use RAM? Didn´t find anything with quick search.

Here´s a interesting phone\phablet I stumbled upon on news: http://www.techinsider.io/lenovo-phab2-pro-project-tango-phone-google-2016-6?utm_content=buffer5c301&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti

• Like 2

Anybody has any idea how much phones these days actually use RAM? Didn´t find anything with quick search.

Here´s a interesting phone\phablet I stumbled upon on news: http://www.techinsider.io/lenovo-phab2-pro-project-tango-phone-google-2016-6?utm_content=buffer5c301&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti

That phone is huge!

I see plenty of low-end, and even "lower" mid-range phones that still come with 1GB of RAM. All depends on how the manufacturer has customized the Android kernel to their hardware.

On a good job, you probably won't notice any slow downs, though I wouldn't be doing lots of mobile gaming with those specs.

Still good for taking pictures, browsing the web, texting, calling (ofc), some basic games, etc.

Me myself running an Honor 7 by Huawei. 

I love it. caught it for 350usd at that time (7months ago). Been an iPhone user for 6 years but got tired and wanted something different. It has 20MP camera, 16Gb built in storage but accepts SDcards up to 128Gb, 3Gb Ram, Octacore CPU, Dualsim and so on. 
I agree with previous post that they're really catching up with the big boys and for half the price. (atleast this phone).

Have to say that I really put it to a test when I was in the Rainforrests of Borneo over Easter this year. Watching 1,5 season of Black Sails while in the air, excellent battery and sound. 99% humidity, 34degrees not a single problem. 

What I love most is all you can do with android compared to an Apple. 

I'm happy with it. Just some thoughts of mine. 

Whops, almost forgot, one final decision was that it has a sensor from Fingerprint Cards. Superfast. 

Hey guys I am currently searching for a new phone....

I currently have an Huawei Ascend Plus, a piece of junk :P

Here are the things that I consider important:

1. Good wifi reception ( current phone drops wifi constantly)

2. No internal storage issues, my phone accepts and uses SD card that has plenty of space but internal storage still prevents me from downloading much at all

3. Decent camera 

4. Decent battery

5. Preferably not huge

Any and all help will be appreciated :)

Samsung S7/Edge is definitely the way to go

If price is an issue, you can get an iphone SE for $399. It is fairly affordable.

Since you bought a Huawei, don't buy the same phone three times like I did. First I had an Asus phone which worked good in Vancouver but in Edmonton it died in the first winter. Then I had some cheap HTC desire (I live in cold climate so it didn't like how I went from 24 C to -40 C constantly). My HTC screen would freeze/hang in the winter and need restarts inside and would  actually started to melt the outside case and kept overheating in the summer.  Then I bought an Xperia judging how it is "waterproof" and more "rugged". My Xperia Z2 broke twice. I had a black screen of death for no reason, got it fixed (they wouldn't cover warranty because Sony Canada no longer exists in Canada) cost me $120. Second time it wouldn't stop vibrating, burnt a hole in my pocket and then created a welding arc that melted the screen. 

After that I said it is either Samsung or iPhone. Most people at work i know have one more because other phones have that same issue. It is probably because I live in a cold climate zone that the phone has to survive the extremes. My iphone has last 2 years which is ironically the longest phone I have owned in Alberta, Canada =_=.

• Like 1

I just invested in a Wiko PULP 4G and I'm very satisfied of it so far.

Less expensive than the opponent devices, excellent active duration, pictures and movies quality. Working under latest Androïd version.

16GO internal storage and added a 64GO storage card.

All this for less than 200€.

There are alot of better devices, but all more expensive. Depends on your priorities. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...