Other Servers & Teamspeak Down

KILLERGUN

on Trackbase FA 2 server shows there are 0 people online but thats not true, no idea how comes

TB is currently listing all three ET servers as down (Last I checked), I've sent Jonny an email asking him if he can force an earlier rescan of the servers. If he doesn't get it in time, or he can't then the servers will be automatically rescanned in roughly... 9-10 hours :)

• Like 3

Jonny has replied and forced a rescan for us. All three servers are now showing up on TB properly :)

I'd like you nubs to go say thank you to him, and donate a little something to TB if you're able to :)

• Like 3

Thanks JoNny :) i just made donation to clan, but let see what my next month budget show. I planned long time already donate for the Trackbase.

Thank you JoNny :)

• Like 1

Thank you, oh sweetest Johny, for your existence. You truly are the best of gentlemen and Trackbase is awesome.

I only do this for Heretic, you know we all hate you.

• Like 1

The SSD is running in RAID? Good as I remembered that when SSD-s die, then they die. Recovering data from SSD is near impossible(times harder than from HDD)...

And Kingston as SSD? They switched NAND chips for the cheaper ones in the V300 series throughout the production time. Says enough about their trustworthiness... Don´t know though about other SSD\HDD usage for 24\7 but stumbled upon this study and Seagate wouldn´t be my first choise: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089464/three-year-27-000-drive-study-reveals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.htmlor has there been any developmeants in recent 2-3 years?

Toshibas Desktar series more likely but on the study there was more expensive Deskstar series and exactly that model with that S\N...

Just my 2 cents

True - that's why it's important to maintain them, meaning trimming the drives (on Linux there are multiple ways, firstly in /etc/fstab there's the 'discard' option - or via shell [or cron] 'fstrim'). I think it should be noted that we're talking about servers - consumer SSD's are directly a no-go; whilst enterprise SSDs are actually intended (and optimized) to be online 24/7 though consumer SSDs are pretty good themselves.

Not sure about other brands but OCZ (not sure if still is) was regarded eventually as sucky - though that was after I bought my Vertex 3 that I found out about that. Nonetheless, my Vertex 3's SMART data says: 'Powered On: 2 years, 11 months and 11 days' (this actually is the 'full accumulated time of powered-on state') | Also interesting is, the bigger the SSD - the longer it'll last.

True - that's why it's important to maintain them, meaning trimming the drives (on Linux there are multiple ways, firstly in /etc/fstab there's the 'discard' option - or via shell [or cron] 'fstrim'). I think it should be noted that we're talking about servers - consumer SSD's are directly a no-go; whilst enterprise SSDs are actually intended (and optimized) to be online 24/7 though consumer SSDs are pretty good themselves.

Not sure about other brands but OCZ (not sure if still is) was regarded eventually as sucky - though that was after I bought my Vertex 3 that I found out about that. Nonetheless, my Vertex 3's SMART data says: 'Powered On: 2 years, 11 months and 11 days' (this actually is the 'full accumulated time of powered-on state') | Also interesting is, the bigger the SSD - the longer it'll last.

Who are you? You know alot about Servers!  :o It's a pleasure for me to read what you write here!

Did you learn it in school?

• Like 2

Who are you? You know alot about Servers!  :o It's a pleasure for me to read what you write here!

Did you learn it in school?

I'm w00tw00t! I'm glad you enjoy my responses - I can only hope they're useful.

Learned some things at school; mostly self-taught though - I've been an intern at a data center many years ago which was really informative. Currently I have 2 dedicated servers (both at Soyoustart) running which are quite powerful in their own right - they both run virtual machines. To back them up I've got a HTPC at home (It's a really nice machine) which used to be my desktop but it's also where stuff gets backed up to these days. All in all, experience comes with time - I've been in the 'Linux'/'*BSD' world since I was about 10.

As a technician, I installed a lot of hard drives in digital and network video recorders. And honestly, hard drives from WD even Black series can work about 3-4 years all the time, then they just simply stop working either of bad sectors or electronic problems. Still, people buy WD black drives due to 5 years warranty.

Personally, I recommend Seagate hard drives. 

In terms od SSD, Intel and Kingston are my fav ones. Avoid Crucial SSD drives, they break on warranty.

No Offense but ...

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives= NOT SEAGATE !

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089464/three-year-27-000-drive-study-reveals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html= Hitachi > WD > everyone else > Seagate

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2873683/storage-drives/western-digital-hgst-most-reliable-hard-drives.html= WD & HGST are BEST !

Backblaze-2015.jpg

... Seagate makes THE WORST ! and LEAST RELIABLE HDD's on the market PERIOD ! end of discussion :lock , don't care what your personal anecdotal belief is, facts say otherwise.  :thumbsup

And as far as SSD's ... the best are SAMSUNG PRO's, INTEL, SanDisk, Corsair Neutron XT's, and yep CRUCIAL !   :hmm   ... AVOID OCZ and ANY SSD with the SANDFORCE controllers !!!! they are garbage !

I'd go as far as to say CRUCIAL is your BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK SSD on the market and has been for years now, and I've had mine over 4 years now, so ??? 

• Like 2

And as far as SSD's ... the best are SAMSUNG PRO's, INTEL, SanDisk, Corsair Neutron XT's, and yep CRUCIAL !   :hmm   ... AVOID OCZ and ANY SSD with the SANDFORCE controllers !!!! they are garbage !

I'd go as far as to say CRUCIAL is your BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK SSD on the market and has been for years now, and I've had mine over 4 years now, so ??? 

I agree - when I bought my OCZ Vertex 3 I wasn't aware of all the facts (it came highly recommended) - I'm fairly sure I got lucky and got a 'good drive' but I've heard plenty of OCZ vertex's and the likes that died within months, I've had mine for 4+ years too now I think. I think OCZ was bought by Toshiba though - so avoid Toshiba's too.

As for servers, I've heard amazing things about Intel's enterprise SSD's - though I haven't actually fact-checked that because I haven't had the need (if there's one thing I've learned is to never just take recommendations at face-value - 'trust but verify').

• Leader

Heh, first I've read of HGST, but wikipedia says "HGST, Inc. (formerly Hitachi Global Storage Technologies) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital that ..."  = Hitachi :)

• Administrators

Wow! This was the status update I was waiting on seeing. Thank you for your work & for the time you took. I hope you had a nice vacation (these things always happen whenever you're going on vacation).

If you don't mind, I would like to make some suggestions (obviously I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job but merely trying to help in some way). Your bullet points one by one:

1: This is understandable. Though does the budget allow for $6.99/m? If so - you might wish to consider a kimsufi server (kimsufi is an OVH brand. It's a huge provider in Europe and they've got a few (think it's 4 or 5) data centers they build and operate) - Kimsufi is their 'cheapest' brand which they use to convince people to move to their 'soyoustart.com' brand and eventually their main OVH brand. The servers of kimsufi are extremely cheap the cheapest going at $6.99 with a 500GB hard disk which should be plenty of space to make backups to. I'm actually also vouching for them (I've used them - currently on their soyoustart brand - Hint! Soyoustart also sells dedicated gameservers - might be worth looking into!).

If you can consider this - I would definitely recommend you look into rsync as well. rsync essentially makes backups - but instead of 'full' backups - it'll be incremental (except for the first of course, the first backup will be full - obviously) and it might prevent having to recover an entire hard disk - and transferring data from one server to another would be reasonably fast in case it's ever needed.

rsync doesn't work well for windows. I had tried it before and it didn't work out good. Linux rysnc can be beast but for windows, no.  I might look into the 7$/month VPS thingy. I am tight on budget right now but for future, sure. 

2. Yes, this is also understandable. One of my other suggestions was to set up backup 'shims' - essentially for ET this would mean a small ET server running on another server to which people would connect and they'll get the "Server is full, go to " - in this case, the DNS entry for silent.clan-fa.com could be updated temporarily or the IP re-routed (if the servers are at the same providers that is). The suggestion I'm making here would be that the 'server is full' message would actually say 'The server is under maintenance' or something like that and it'll allow people to get 'caught and redirected' to another server which would be more informative and I would guess it'd help minimize player-losses. Heck, it doesn't even need to be an actual ET server with a config - it merely needs to be a program mimicking ET and it's redirect. Something to consider at least as part of a 'rapid response' in case shit hits the fan.

* in fact, the IP wouldn't even need to be re-routed - one could essentially boot a Linux livecd; set up iptables to redirect packages to another IP if needed temporarily.

We already use DNS but if whole machine is down there is no point in redirect. We got 1 machine in US and 2 in Europe. So if one in Europe goes down, I can redirect but for US to Euro players would whine for ping and we would see 100 reports of OMG my ping increased.

3. It always happen when one goes onto vacation! Generally when I go on holiday - I tend to let my servers know I'll beat 'm up if they break whilst I'm away (They have yet to actually listen, defiant machines I'll tell ya).

hehe somewhat agree but current hard drive served us for like 5 years+.

4. I get this as well - but perhaps combining with the 1st-point it wouldn't be that much overhead - 'backup' server would run the monitoring installation and the other servers merely an agent reporting the statuses; all in all, a simple I/O check could've given you an edge and it might even have allowed you to prevent this entire issue all together. (now there's no guarantee, but - it's why monitoring is so important - it seems like an overhead but in the situations I've been in [i actually had an internship at a data center a few years ago and I've worked with quite a few of their clients and whilst we monitored the boxes for being up/down we didn't do extensive monitoring on disks and the likes since that wasn't our place - though a box went down and the owner called for us to check it out - we would [if covered under the agreement; otherwise we couldn't legally touch the box]) - I really can't stress this enough though - monitoring = information = rapid response & preemptive preventing problems - they give a HUGE amount of insight that can also be used to uncover performance issues and the likes.

Well IO checks for Windows server are not often possible. HDTune is the only way I know off. Which needs to be checked manually. For linux yes. 

5. Nagios is actually something that generally runs on Linux (though you can also use it to monitor Windows machines) - what goodies are you referring to specifically though? top, htop, iotop? 

We run munin on other Linux servers and I have one on master and other as slaves. Nagios is over kill for our needs and extra over head. Munin is light and does the same job for us.

----

Once again I sincerely hope you had a great vacation and thank you for the hard work. I hope you'll take my suggestions under advisement and you should definitely come to Silent or HC one time whenever I'm there, let's see who's the better shooter eh!

Take a break man, you deserve it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the inputs! Every input is welcome and I am happy to see someone taking time from there life and creating valuable post. Thanks mate!

PS Server will go down at 11.30 PM EST appx and we will be back up ASAP. Datacenter is going to remove old unused hard drive since back up recovery is complete. Was able to recover 80% of data.

No Offense but ...

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives= NOT SEAGATE !

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089464/three-year-27-000-drive-study-reveals-the-most-reliable-hard-drive-makers.html= Hitachi > WD > everyone else > Seagate

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2873683/storage-drives/western-digital-hgst-most-reliable-hard-drives.html= WD & HGST are BEST !

.. Seagate makes THE WORST ! and LEAST RELIABLE HDD's on the market PERIOD ! end of discussion :lock , don't care what your personal anecdotal belief is, facts say otherwise.  :thumbsup

Well I prefer MLC over TLC. For hard drive we use enterprise grade hard drives on US machine and hence lasted for 5 years+ with continuous read/write. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the inputs! Every input is welcome and I am happy to see someone taking time from there life and creating valuable post. Thanks mate!

You're welcome but honestly, it's me and pretty much everyone else who enjoys gaming on F|A that should thank you and all the others who make it possible.

By the way, that $7/m VPS isn't an actual VPS - it's a dedicated box (I know $7/m for a dedi seems cheap but keep in mind for OVH it's worth it considering their conversion rate (i.e. the volume they're selling; people eventually 'outgrowing' one box, etc)) - for VPS's - you can also see OVH ( https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-classic.xml) starting at $3/m - but as you can see there isn't a lot of disk space.