Addiction to drugs and smart phones...

Ol Smoke

I have a friend who is a counselor at a drug rehab center and he was telling me this the other day.

The drug addicts that are coming into rehab have a worse time with the loss of their smart phones than with the loss of the drugs.

They seem to detox pretty good from the drugs after 10 days but they get completely paranoid about their phone.  In this rehab

center the addicts lose all contact with anyone on the outside until the last 3 days they are there.  He has had to remove over 60

patients from the facility because they struck other patients or personnel at the center.  Not over the drugs, but because they couldn't

text anyone.

THEY COULDNT TEXT ANYONE !

When it comes time for the patients to get their phones again, most of them are jumping, biting their nails or pulling at their clothes, waiting

for the person to get their phone to them.  When they get it, they run off to find a corner and they squat in the corner and go into a marathon

texting session.  When the personnel come to take them to class or something, they run and throw a tantrum like a 3 year old with a new toy.

He said he has seen them get so worked up over turning their phone off at that time, that they actually have anxiety attacks, start shaking

uncontrollably or they start punching and kicking people.  He has been video taping these patients when they get their phone back and other

doctors and counselors are observing that when they touch the phone again, it is like a heroin addict getting a fix.

OVER THEIR WANTING TO TEXT !

Unbelievable.  What have we become?

I still believe that the best target for a terrorist is the cell towers and this proves it.  You could cripple a nation by removing the cell signal.

• Like 3

I have a friend who is a counselor at a drug rehab center and he was telling me this the other day.

The drug addicts that are coming into rehab have a worse time with the loss of their smart phones than with the loss of the drugs.

They seem to detox pretty good from the drugs after 10 days but they get completely paranoid about their phone.  In this rehab

center the addicts lose all contact with anyone on the outside until the last 3 days they are there.  He has had to remove over 60

patients from the facility because they struck other patients or personnel at the center.  Not over the drugs, but because they couldn't

text anyone.

THEY COULDNT TEXT ANYONE !

When it comes time for the patients to get their phones again, most of them are jumping, biting their nails or pulling at their clothes, waiting

for the person to get their phone to them.  When they get it, they run off to find a corner and they squat in the corner and go into a marathon

texting session.  When the personnel come to take them to class or something, they run and throw a tantrum like a 3 year old with a new toy.

He said he has seen them get so worked up over turning their phone off at that time, that they actually have anxiety attacks, start shaking

uncontrollably or they start punching and kicking people.  He has been video taping these patients when they get their phone back and other

doctors and counselors are observing that when they touch the phone again, it is like a heroin addict getting a fix.

OVER THEIR WANTING TO TEXT !

Unbelievable.  What have we become?

I still believe that the best target for a terrorist is the cell towers and this proves it.  You could cripple a nation by removing the cell signal.

Hasn't it been shown that people who get addicted to drugs, have a tendency to get addicted to other things easily?

Our generation has a problem with technology. Technology should be a good thing--keeping people safe, access to knowledge, solving problems, and the occasional entertainment. Everyone is losing the ability to be human. Talking in person, going out to dinner, even going outside at all to have a good time--it's all becoming a thing of the past, and quickly. 

It's sad, but at this point it's hard to change. We can only hope that there are people who continue to be personable. 

• Like 1

It's sad, but at this point it's hard to change. We can only hope that there are people who continue to be personable. 

I don't know why, but seeing people constantly on their phones, especially when doing anything around other people, I get extremely angry. Why is it so hard for people to be social (in a face-to-face sense) nowadays? Why can't I go to a restaurant or a park or any public venue without seeing people on their phones? Stepping away from technology is something I have to do every day. If I was stuck next to my phone or on my computer all day, I'd be more messed up in the head than I already am yet I hear about people so addicted to being on their smart phones that they pass out from exhaustion while on the phone tweeting some random bullshit that no one honestly cares about.

This ended up being a bit more ranty than I intended but oh well. Venting is good.

• Like 1

I don't know why, but seeing people constantly on their phones, especially when doing anything around other people, I get extremely angry. Why is it so hard for people to be social (in a face-to-face sense) nowadays? Why can't I go to a restaurant or a park or any public venue without seeing people on their phones? Stepping away from technology is something I have to do every day. If I was stuck next to my phone or on my computer all day, I'd be more messed up in the head than I already am yet I hear about people so addicted to being on their smart phones that they pass out from exhaustion while on the phone tweeting some random bullshit that no one honestly cares about.

This ended up being a bit more ranty than I intended but oh well. Venting is good.

I completely agree. I feel like you miss out on some of the best things life has to offer if you have your face buried in a phone 24/7! 

I feel I have gone backwards whilst this technology presses on forwards.  People expect me to be available all the time, like everyone else.  I'm not and I can't be.  All this technology breaks my fragile persona.  When I go away to chill my phone is off, I cannot answer it.  I believe I suffer from 'phone anxiety'.  I have a very addictive personality.  BUT NOT AIDS!

• 2 weeks later...

I know what i do when i lost my phone. I buy a new1.
Bc only 8-9 contact there. And i know those numbers from my mind :P
Btw its really a generation problem i think. The 10-25 year old girl and boys are ever hang on them phone. Thay cannot live without it.
-Like if i goin to a holiday i turn off/mute ny phone and only time to time watch for it.
And this young folks hang on the phone and on twitter and on facebook and sharing that what happening whit them at the moment. Like sex whit gf or how they drunked.
Nothing necessary info. And this folks will be lead the world 1 day? I say: NO.

I hope this trend will be change asap. 

Without my phone, taking a shit would become foreign again.

Why cant people use a phone anymore? Lot of people with cell phones text like 90% of the time

I can't stand talking on the phone. f***ing despise it. Wanna talk, come hang out. Otherwise stfu and leave me be. (In general about people calling). Which is weird, because I can chat on TS while gaming no problem. Just hate phones lol

I use my phone mostly for texting. Why might you ask? Because if I don't want to talk I can get the message I need and answer it in my own time. Also great when in public so I don't disturb others around me by yapping loudly. Nothing more annoying than some dickbag shouting in public 'Yeah bro! I was lIke, so wasted bro!'.

My phone is normally all business when it comes to calls. Otherwise the thing is just another form of handheld gaming device hah