ET Server Suggestion HC Bot Count

efool

The hc.clan-fa.com bot count is set to 12 where bots join/part to make sure each team has at least 6 players. I suggest this be lowered to 6 (3v3).

I view HC as a more competitive pub, something akin to the stopwatch servers. The bots don't add much to the game other than the occasional revive or plant/defuse, but I do think it's better than nothing. I also see bots as a cheap trick to get players into the server from the master list, as they're likely looking for a server with players. Unfortunately they join to find out it has bots, so I'm not sure whether this strategy works.

The HC server has a popular brand name. For a lot of players that's the only place they play. I don't think the bots are necessary to get players into the server anymore.

None of the maps on HC are very appropriate for 1v1, unless there's some sort of gentleman's agreement. 2v2 could maybe work (not likely), but most of the maps feature in 3v3 tournaments so that seems like the most appropriate number. Personally, I would play 1v1 and 2v2 with random people if the maps were automatically adjusted but this doesn't really make sense for a pub where people come and go all the time. I think 3v3 is the right number. There's still likely going to be a gentleman's agreement to not use panzer, mines, or rnade at 3v3, and more than likely almost nobody will be that honorable. But adding more bots doesn't fix this problem. I think casual randoms/regulars would be happy to do 3v3 and the traffic will naturally grow from that. I think players tend to leave when there are so many bots. F|A offers other servers loaded with bots for people who want to practice that way.

• Like 6

Problem i see with this is, at the beginning when players are coming in, the bots give those players something to shoot at. When the server starts filling up the bots disappear anyway. Also from my own experience, the players that do join first aren't ETPro players so these bots will satisfy these players until real people come online. 

As a compromise however, perhaps we could try lowering it to 5v5 having each bot play one of the classes. Thoughts?

• Like 4
  • 100 1

• Administrators

I had tried to reduce it in past and it didn't help. When we where running bots in past, many clans where against it, to be honest. But as cheep mentioned, it gives something to shoot at. Now a days majority runs it including those who complained for it.

We have ETPro - which is hard to make it popular not because people don't like it or don't want to play on it. Sadly no one is willing to join it first and camp on it. The reason i picked 6 is because considering 2-3 routes in any maps - on each route you will have 2-3 omni's to shoot at. That gives enough chance to get server going. All the pro's who say they dislike bots are the first to leave when when player count goes down because they feel they have no one to shoot at and have to hunt in map to empty their clips. 

The another example of why bigger good maps are disliked. Most of them want to spawn, get in combat - then either kill or die. If they have to move even 5 sec, omg this map sucks. So that's why if you see majority of maps that are voted are small or med size at max with close combat options. 

I have tried to find balance and on trial and error, 6 worked out best. So i stick to it. I started with 2 vs 2 and went up to 8 vs 8. Eventually 6 vs 6 was good enough. Basically it should be 6 vs 5 but people on hardcore are majority mature and if i call for balance team many are ready to move. So 6 vs 6. 

I am open to change and can try again 5 vs 5. We can see how it goes. I will wait for other people feedback before making change. I am not opposed to changes as long as changes are good for server. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 2

Possessing omibotos is not a strategy for attracting new players to our server but providing entertainment to all our guests. Omnibots are a kind of help for the beginnings of players who can see what omnibots do and what mission objectives on a given map are realized.Prospective players do not know such commands as (/+ objective) to find out what needs to be done on a given map. For more experienced players, the ominbots are like moving targets on the shooting range, which helps in targeting real players.Do not forget about bots that always ask for ammunition or first aid kits always give. I am for having omnibots on the server.

• 100 1

3 hours ago, daredevil said:

I am open to change and can try again 5 vs 5. We can see how it goes. I will wait for other people feedback before making change. I am not opposed to changes as long as changes are good for server. 

Yes, do it! :) 
  • Like 1

Dont play too often on HC but when I go I see that desire to see less omnibots in a very low populate server scene. Yes, having omnibots gives you something to hit at and they can handle some help to the weaker team but I see 2 or 3 omnibots less could get along with server appreciation as in thinking for example in a 3v3 or 4v4 scene, I like that but I dont see that coming as the server gets better amount of players than other servers. I would like to see a 5v5 just like an experiment to see how it goes.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting your suggestion  efool. As I said to you on the server, you will get a response. 

We should try 5 vs 5 again and see how that works. Yes there will always be whiners and complainers but this might actually help as most HC regs complain about bots

• Like 2