Windows Issue with upload speed

Ok so it is Sunday and I dont want to call ISP for help, because it costs too much. So I am open to suggestions on what to do. 

Issue is this: I have normal (+90Mb/sec) download speed and ping, but something is blocking the upload speed to less than 1mb/sec, when it should be 50-60 Mb/sec. Wireless connection works as it should be, giving upload 50Mb/sec. Oh and my pc is attached to modem with cable, not wireless.

I have not tweaked any net settings in couple of months, so this is strange. 

Things I have tried:

restart modem + pc

tweak some settings from modem cp (tons of those, so I dont know what to look for)

disable modem firewall + av + firewall

run av with clean results

Drank beer last night and hoped it to fix by itself

sweared like a pirate

sweared more

My pc:

MB: Asus P5Q Pro

CPU: Intel core 2 duo E8400

GPU: Ati radeon HD 4800 series

MEM: 8Gb

I don't know anything about the wiring in your country but I fixed a lot of issues by removing unnecessary wires that were terminated in the master socket. Here only 2 wires are required but there are 6-8 cores which were all wired and create a hell of a lot of unnecessary noise, stripping it down to the necessary wires solved a lot of up/down problems.

But if this has just happened randomly I can only think that your router may have developed a problem..

Do you have another router you can use or borrow a friend's for 5 mins to test it?

• Like 1

I don't know anything about the wiring in your country but I fixed a lot of issues by removing unnecessary wires that were terminated in the master socket. Here only 2 wires are required but there are 6-8 cores which were all wired and create a hell of a lot of unnecessary noise, stripping it down to the necessary wires solved a lot of up/down problems.

But if this has just happened randomly I can only think that your router may have developed a problem..

Do you have another router you can use or borrow a friend's for 5 mins to test it?

I already thought to get another router, sadly my mates dont have suitable, as this is vdsl line and ppl either have fiber or older adsl2 modems.

Also the cable is brand new from modem to pc, but I could test it by moving pc to where the other cable goes to iptv box. 

• Platinum VIP

Are you connected to the Ethernet input on the Mb or a Network card? If so, tr y getting a network card and using that, they're pretty inexpensive, or check for Network Adapter driver updates, or uninstall the drivers and reinstall them

• Like 1

sadly this sounds more like a cable  provider problem then a pc problem from what i myself have experience modems go out of date really fast  and if you had someone come out there and look at your  net as of late they could of messed with it like comcast did to me i was paying for  a  almost 1gb speed and was only getting  after of it 

but  what i would try and  go to the closes place you can get a new modem make sure you get a receipt and can return it  and try that out first  if that does not fix your problem then your going to have to call your IOS i would say get a new cable to but from what you said you try that then again upload speed is one thing i never really had even now i have almost 1gb of download speed and like 25 to 10 mb of upload speed 

• Like 1

You mention that your wireless access point from your modem works fine? Unlikely to be a telco/ISP fault then. And somewhat unlikely (but not impossible) to be the router. If it was related to the router, perhaps a firmware update could be to blame. (I suppose it's possible a driver update got rolled out and borked something, but I seriously doubt that considering you're on Vista...)

First thing I'd try is a new ethernet cable. Wouldn't surprise me if it got crimped somewhere. Next, try a different LAN port if you haven't already... (ie, plugging it into Port #2 on the modem instead of #1)

Scratch the above regarding the cable... you mentioned that. Try moving the cable. And don't be afraid to call your ISP! Let them know your situation- how it works fine on Wireless and not on Wired. They can remotely re-flash and re-provision your modem. If that doesn't work, depending on when you got it, it may still be under warranty.

PS: I had one that wasn't under warranty and the tech swapped it out for a business grade one free of charge. Just went down to inventory, picked it up and was hush hush about it. They still think I'm using the old one to this day. (Note: I'm assuming you're using an all-in-one device. Modem+Router?)

Edited by Xernicus
  • Like 1

You mention that your wireless access point from your modem works fine? Unlikely to be a telco/ISP fault then. And somewhat unlikely (but not impossible) to be the router. If it was related to the router, perhaps a firmware update could be to blame. (I suppose it's possible a driver update got rolled out and borked something, but I seriously doubt that considering you're on Vista...)

First thing I'd try is a new ethernet cable. Wouldn't surprise me if it got crimped somewhere. Next, try a different LAN port if you haven't already... (ie, plugging it into Port #2 on the modem instead of #1)

Yes wireless work(ed) just fine. 

Well I think I found the issue and I strongly believe it is the modem. The net has been disconnecting just the last hour or so.

It is not rare that you need to contact ISP here and go get a new modem, since the stock shit they give you first, is usually pure shit. This is not the first time, tho I had my high hopes, since the interface and firmware updates were good.

And last firmware update was like 2 moths ago and it wont update without manual checking, so that cant be the reason.

I also tried the new cable and it is not the issue.

Will send email to ISP and see what they offer tomorrow.

Are you connected to the Ethernet input on the Mb or a Network card? If so, tr y getting a network card and using that, they're pretty inexpensive, or check for Network Adapter driver updates, or uninstall the drivers and reinstall them

It is MB connection. No updates available since years.
  • Like 1

Yup, that's more than likely the modem then considering the other oddities. Every once in a blue moon they'll halfway function like yours rather than die outright. You may get lucky and it'll provision itself at a snail speed that'll get you by for a bit.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/4/2018 at 1:09 PM, RendeL said:

Ok, quindi è domenica e non voglio chiamare l'ISP per aiuto, perché costa troppo. Quindi sono aperto a suggerimenti su cosa fare. 

Il problema è questo: ho normale (+ 90Mb / sec) velocità di download e ping, ma qualcosa sta bloccando la velocità di upload a meno di 1mb / sec, quando dovrebbe essere 50-60 Mb / sec. La connessione wireless funziona come dovrebbe, con un caricamento di 50 Mb / sec. Oh e il mio pc è collegato al modem con cavo, non wireless.

Non ho modificato le impostazioni di rete in un paio di mesi, quindi è strano. 

Cose che ho provato:

riavvia modem + pc

modificare alcune impostazioni dal modem cp (tonnellate di quelle, quindi non so cosa cercare)

disattiva il firewall del modem + av + firewall

eseguire av con risultati puliti

Bevuto birra la scorsa notte e speravo che si risolvesse da solo     <-------------------------- hahahaha

imprecato come un pirata

imprecato di più

Il mio pc:

MB: Asus P5Q Pro

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

GPU: Ati radeon HD 4800 series

MEM: 8 GB

Sistema operativo: Vista 64

:lol

• Like 1

after 3 days of reboots and factory reset
having many more packages lost than usual
of course I telephone the operator of my ISP and it is like a madman and threatening to block the payments of bills from the bank
as a miracle the line returns to work better than before the packet loss problems, and with tests in "wi-fi" strange for my upload parameters blocked at 21MB
all Italian ISPs are a legalized scam, normal users who are not in front of the 24H PC are not aware of these bandwidths, and these packet loss, and they think that their line is enough that the web pages work, then it's ok, they are wrong.

1113246307_Speedtest7giugno2018dopolatelefonatadireclamoatim.PNG.762f663dffdcf3852058e0fb62dfedbb.PNG

my Router set to 80MB in "download" and 20MB in "upload"

Well...This issue got fixed. Didn't need new modem or cable, I just tested the modem with my laptop and all worked fine, so the issue was netcard settings. Everything went back to normal after I re-attached my pc to the modem.

Having convo with isp technician and he told that net settings, which modem picks automatically, could've been corrupted or missing ( caused by vista OS). Changing to new netcard (win8) "resetted" the settings and after attaching again, those got updated correctly.

Anyways I should get new pc, because vista isn't supported anymore and will be having more and more issues in the future with it.

7374345928.png

• 100 1