BREAKING: Many injured in Nice, France after truck drives into crowd, reports of gunfire

DFighter

Many dead' as lorry hits crowd in Nice
  • 9 minutes ago
  •  
  • From the sectionEurope
_90393951_dd52e5e4-de79-44b2-aedd-0758dcImage copyrightAFPImage captionPolice have now sealed off the area, checking the lorry that hit the crowds

A lorry has struck a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city of Nice, with reports of many dead.

The incident took place on the famous Promenade des Anglais during a firework display, media reports say.

One image on Twitter showed about a dozen people lying on the street, some being tended to.

The local prefecture has urged people in the area to remain indoors, calling the incident "an attack".

Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said that "a lorry driver appears to have killed dozens of people".

Sebastien Humbert, the prefect of the Alpes-Maritimes region, told France's BFM TV that "perhaps about 30 people" were dead and 100 injured.

He said the lorry driver had been shot dead.

The mayor and police urged residents to stay indoors.

_90393593_capture.pngImage copyrightTWITTER

Some reports spoke of shots being exchanged between police and the occupants of the lorry but these have not been confirmed.

Social media video showed people running through the streets in panic following the incident.

A journalist with the Nice Matin newspaper reported from the scene that there was "a lot of blood and without doubt many injured".

_90392225_pixx.jpgImage captionSocial media video showed people fleeing after the incident

An Agence France-Presse reporter said the incident took place as the firework display was ending, adding: "We saw people hit and bits of debris flying around."

Another image on Twitter showed a white lorry stopped in the middle of the promenade with damage to its front, and four police officers observing it while taking cover behind a palm tree.

One eyewitness told BFM TV: "Everyone was calling run, run, run there's an attack run, run, run. We heard some shots. We thought they were fireworks because it's the 14th of July.

"There was great panic. We were running too because we didn't want to stick around and we went into a hotel to get to safety. "

Another witness, Roy Calley told the BBC that there were "thousands of people on the promenade" when the incident happened.

_90393591_francenice4640716.png

`this liveblog contains some picture that are quite shocking so think good before you read it

liveblog here: https://www.rt.com/news/351086-panic-nice-france-crowd/

What a misfortune event, im truly sad and in shame of human race, like I will always try to stand apart for making surreal judgements but this time I really think the murderer psychopath that made this did it for religious or political stands. But must important here is to pray for those families that lost their loved ones and help the injured in such dramatic episode.

Read on a spanish web site there are 30 lost souls that are now in better place. Hundreds of injured.

• Like 4

sad to hear this R.I.P...... dam wherever i see there are people dieing everywhere what is the world come up to... so sad to see people lifes are going away so easily.... may god have mercy on all of us ..... 

My daugther is on holidays with her mom and they are currently staying several days in Nice.

I was so chocked that I called in the middle of the night and miraculously they weren't at the fireworks.

Can't believe that blind madness and hatred...

• Like 1

I was supposed to go there but I was too tired to go out. That is so sick in the worst way possible, someone I knew a little bit died yesterday, I've never been close to him, but I can't help and feel terrible. I can't even imagine how bad close friends and familly must feel

• Like 1

but this time I really think the murderer psychopath that made this did it for religious or political stands.

nope nothing to do with religion or political stands:  http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/who-mohamed-lahouaiej-bouhlel-what-8425647  (note: paper found proves he was tunisian and not french.. This kind of papers= green card)

of course ISIS, opportunists that they are, is trying to claim this act like being their act.

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1