Two children die in hope chest

EmtHipple

I know we don't have articles like this on her often but as a father of two little girls and knowing many of you have children as well I felt this has to be shared so this doesn't keep happening. 

FRANKLIN, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) -- A 7-year-old boy and his 8-year-old sister died after getting trapped in a hope chest in their home, authorities said Monday.

Police tell FOX 25 both children, identified by a family member as being 7- and 8-years-old, were found at a home on Chestnut Street at about 8 p.m.

A family friend identified the children as Sean and Lexi Munroe.

David Traub, a spokesperson for the Norfolk County District Attorney's office, says investigators believe one parent was home at the time of the incident. When the second parent arrived home, they went to round up the children and discovered that two of them were missing. That is when they found the siblings inside a hope chest that could only be opened from the outside. The chest was in a bedroom in close proximity to a television that was on at a high volume.

Investigators are working to determine how long the children were inside the chest. They say the deaths appear to be accidental, but they remain under investigation by officers assigned to the district attorney's office and the Crime Scene Services Section.

The DA's office said the hope chest was "an older type" made by Lane Furniture and was purchased by the family secondhand more than a decade ago.

In 1996, Lane recalled 12 million cedar chests (Click here for recall information) with lids that automatically latch shut after receiving reports of six children suffocating inside. In 2000, Lane - in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission - said it was calling for a renewed search for the chests to replace their locks after becoming aware of another suffocation death and two near fatalities.

Traub said it was not immediately clear if the chest owned by the family was included in that recall. The recall covered all Lane and Virginia Maid brand cedar chests manufactured between 1912 and 1987.

Messages left at the headquarters of Heritage Home Group, which now owns Lane, were not immediately returned Monday.

A message on Lane's website says it has provided new locks free of charge that don't automatically latch when the lid is closed. The company said chests made after 1987 have the new safety locks.

Franklin Public School officials released a statement Monday morning expressing their grief over the loss of the two elementary school students.

"The administration of the Franklin Public Schools received confirmation this morning that two of our elementary students passed away in a tragic accident on Sunday," read the statement. "This is a sad and tragic event and our thoughts, prayers and sympathy go out to the family, friends and all those affected."

The school planned to have a crisis team available for students, parents, and faculty in need of counseling.

Autopsies will be performed by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine the cause and manner of death.

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/24430805/2014/01/13/2-children-found-unresponsive-in-franklin#ixzz2qLxtXkar

video of the latch on a similar hope chest 

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/24430805/2014/01/13/2-children-found-unresponsive-in-franklin?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9726181

That is just awful, awful, awful. I'd of thought that they'd of been manufactured to prevent children from closing the lids on themselves. I know mine (manufactured in 1943) has a little ledge and some hinges and automatic locks installed to prevent that. Although I know the ledge and hinges are original, I cannot verify that the locks are. :(

• Like 1

That is so horrible. The fear and pain the children experienced is just unimaginable and what the parents, family members and close friends have to go through is just heart breaking. Really feel sorry for them. One day they are happy and well and suddenly......

Oh god how horrible. Ive always wanted a great big chest at the end of my bed (like in the old movies) but the fear of one of my children getting suck in it was too great.

I cant imagine the heartache and "what ifs" the family would be going through

My heart breaks for them

I lived in Yreka, California in the late 50's and a child died in a refrigerator that had been put out in an alley, to be gathered up by a local appliance guy.

I didn't know the kid, but from this tragedy came the California bill that mandated that all refer/freezer doors be removed before reclaiming or storing. 

That bill went nationwide later in the 70's.