Cod4 tips?

Dddrgn

Think like your enemy. Always move into a postion they would not expect, if your persuing someone and they know your following them (You shot at them ect) It may be best not to pursue them rather wait for them to come back and look for you.

Another thing is don't stay in the same spot for more then 30 seconds (If your killing people anyways) Because they'll always manage to get a side shot or toss a nade. Hmm... I feel a bit nerdy atm..

I am not the hottest at cod4, and usually score a pretty bad negative score. I was wondering if any of you could give me some pointers on how to play and at least get a positive k/d ratio each game. I understand that it is all for fun, and I don't really worry about it, but I do want to improve. My 2 years of playing hasn't really helped so far haha. I have noticed a few big things that I do a lot in cod that ends up getting me killed that I need to work on stopping... I constantly sprint almost the entire game, so my gun is never ready, I tend to spray randomly whenever I see an enemy, I kind of go into a panic, and I always seem to try to knife people, no matter how far away they are. I mean, I understand that part of my problem when I am playing is lag. I'm on a laptop, so even with my graphics as low as possible, my lag is a bit disruptive, as well as the fact that things are kind of blurry thanks to low graphics. That alone though should not be enough to get me the often 10 kills 40 deaths that I will get a lot. My aim is about average, maybe a little less, but I can never seem to get kills. If you guys want, I could post a video or two of my gameplay and the way I play, but could you try to give me any pointers at all?

Dddrgn - I often feel the same way, so I feel ya, but here's what I've tried to do to improve:

1) Learning the maps - knowing "key" spots on various maps is critical. I have problems with Bloc & Downpour, but am adjusting.

2) Matching weapon mods (Red Dot Sight - you'll pop up on UVA vs Silencer- you'll not pop on UVA) & perks to your game play style. Some of my fav Perks

-Bandolier: mainly for assualt & SMG - Gives you up to three times more ammo;

-Stopping Pwr: Increases weapon damage to 140%;

-Steady Aim: Makes hip-fire 35% more accurate, which is very, very helpful. It also indirectly makes long ranged fights easier from the hip. Great

for assault classes and for those who feel avg about their aim;

3) Taking time/being patient, while continuing to move: rushing into the fray can be disasterous, though fearlessly heroic. If patient and one can get some decent frags in a certain area, respawns will tend to look for revenge at that same spot; so using provided cover (either friendly covering fire or objects on map) try to move quickly to a new spot, rinse and repeat. Also, try to resist opening up on the first guy who rounds that corner, chances are, he's got 2 or 3 right behind him.

Putting it together: knowing "key" spots & high traffic areas on map and how to flank those is win; SMG+silencer+Bandolier+stoppingpwr+steady aim together or Assault Rifle+Red Dot+Bandolier+stopping pwr+steady aim together works well for me when combined with #3.

Mix it up, and see what works for you. Also, you can try "specing" someone who tends to do well and learn techniques from their play.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rx_Jawa

Edited by Rx_

I would recommend downloading Enemy Territory and playing that for a while. Most people I have played with on ET that pub on Cod4 are usually above the average pubber from the start. When I first played cod4 i had been playing et for a few years and the tracking needed in et helped with aim and coordination in more spray based game like cod, where you just need to spray a few bullets at a player to kill them. Also, make sure to check around *most* corners before running blindly out into the open, and if you do run out, make sure you can strafe well.

what hobbit said. get your ass pwned in et for awhile and it will really improve your cod play. lookit me, i'm average at ET, and above average at cod

I played ET since release... I used to be one of the best in any server i went into. I haven't played now for a year or two and I lost most of my skill. :cry

don't die.

You're an infinite fountain of wisdom, speed. :rolleyes:

Anyways... Examine every death. Why did I just die? Was it because I was sprinting around a corner and didn't have my gun ready?

you shouldnt try to get "better".

Most ppl got this good by playing it a lot.

So, stick around on the servers :)

To get better at anything you need to have the will to improve, not just go through the motions of doing something x times or for x hours. You have to put forth effort to see an effect.

An example is A|G. He plays with players better than him (me) yet he hasnt and will never get any better at ET because he doesnt put forth any effort, even though he plays et everyday for around 4-5 hrs a day...

• Like 1

To get better at anything you need to have the will to improve, not just go through the motions of doing something x times or for x hours. You have to put forth effort to see an effect.

An example is A|G. He plays with players better than him (me) yet he hasnt and will never get any better at ET because he doesnt put forth any effort, even though he plays et everyday for around 4-5 hrs a day...

I feel i have to disagree. I have known A|G since he started et pro and i used to kick his ass all the time , but now he kicks mine and he got wayy better than before outdming peeps and all before he was a low bob but now he got better

thats right.. but i think it comes along with playing the game, and taking it seriously. thats also why i didnt mention it ;)

thanks for ur reaction tho hobbit :)

My initial advice was to spectate me and then avoid doing anything I do, because I tend to get killed quite a lot. :D

Seriously though, while still far from being the best player, my game has improved due to playing a fair bit and being patient. When I first started playing COD4, I was, at best, miserable at it. I'm still quite far from being as skilled as about 80% of the other players, but that doesn't matter to me. Don't let negative scores be frustrating; just remember what was getting you killed and try to avoid doing those things again. It's like learning anything... practice, practice, practice. Frustration jams up the works and stops the learning. Have fun with it, and you'll improve. After all, it's a game, and games are meant to be fun, right?