FPS dropping.

woofer1984

Now this might be a no brainer to some of you but is there a way to stop your fps from dropping & fluctuating during play?  Is it because of not having enough ram on your hard drive that causes it?  Stumped.

I have the same problem to from time to time and not sure what causes but i go for my connection it seems a bit unstabel  or nvidia been nvidia  try to see if you have everything updated manually hope that helps

Edited by oliveirapt

/r_primitives 2 and then restart ET

If you play on a laptop with two video cards, make sure that a discrete video card is used during the game, sometimes I also lose fps because the game runs on Intel UHD lol ....

Also try setting your graphics card to maximum performance.

During the game, launch the application manager and see how the processor and RAM are loaded

• Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, woofer1984 said:

Now this might be a no brainer to some of you but is there a way to stop your fps from dropping & fluctuating during play?  Is it because of not having enough ram on your hard drive that causes it?  Stumped.

pc specs would help us here. an do u have yor fps caped to 125 ?

Edited by captnconcrete

45 minutes ago, captnconcrete said:

pc specs would help us here. an do u have yor fps caped to 125 ?

Processor: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700F   2.10 GHz

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.7 free)

Graphics card: GeForce RTX

com_maxfps is set to 125

Also, I wouldn't know which version of et I'm using.  I know I can't play on etpro servers, haven't looked up the guid or went through the process of creating a different folder for et pro or guid.  (I dloaded the game through Steam.)

make sure thread optimization is off.in ur graphics driver. an /r_primitives  2

there is alot of other little settings that will help also if changed but try this an see.  if your playing on a server thats full . 30 to 50 players your fps will dip . how low does it go. 

Edited by captnconcrete

Try this: /r_texturemode GL_NEAREST - This sets the texture filtering and is the lowest value.

Edited by razjee
  • Like 2

Read this old topics, could help you.

Note:  You got Nvidia, many GPU need r_primitives 0. I got Nvidia,  i am using 0 and i have never lost FPS since then (before used 2 and had the same problem)

ETL is different.

/r_primitives has been removed and not replaced with anything.

I use ETL 2.81.1.

I have an nvidia card (thread optimization is off).

/r_textureMode = GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST (the default)

/com_maxfps = 125

/cl_maxpackets = 125

No FPS drop for me.

Gengis

Edited by Gengis
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, razjee said:

Try this: /r_texturemode GL_NEAREST - This sets the texture filtering and is the lowest value.

According to  my testing there is no difference in FPS with the lowest texture setting (GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST) vs the highest (GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR). Maybe you will get different results with your testing.,

18 hours ago, Betinho said:

Read this old topics, could help you.

There is no setting that you can change in Nvidia control panel ( EXEPT FOR THREADED OPTIMIZATION OFF) that will give any FPS boost. You can change what ever setting you want, turn on 8X AA and what ever, and it will have 0 effect on you ET performance, if you have modern gaming PC. Maybe its different on very old PC. Just go and test it out yourself.

Edited by HarryAimpotter
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

@HarryAimpotter

I see that you have only tested: GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST and GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, but try GL_NEAREST too. Then you should see the difference. 

(low quality): GL_NEAREST
(good quality): GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
(great quality): GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, razjee said:

(low quality): GL_NEAREST

Ok, thank you for clarification.  I didn't even know GL_NEAREST was an option. I tested this out too and there is still no difference. There might be slight difference, but it is within the margin of error. So all in all, making your game look like Minecraft has no FPS boost, according to my testing.