Keep losing Network

Sabby123

When my daughter plays roblox or goes on YouTube she loses network I know its not roblox or YouTube as my other daughter plays and it doesn't happen to her the pc is connected to the modem by a ethernet cable not wireless

• Platinum VIP

I had a similar problem before with my pc, turned out to be my ISP (internet service provider.) Upon getting a new provider it fixed all of my issues. Might be worth looking into, I hope this helps! 

2 hours ago, nAbish said:

I had a similar problem before with my pc, turned out to be my ISP (internet service provider.) Upon getting a new provider it fixed all of my issues. Might be worth looking into, I hope this helps! 

I dont think it's my ISP as it doesn't happen to my other pc and that's connected to the same modem

• Leader

You can run the Network Diagnostics program.  If it does not immediately detect something, you can try running it when Youtube is playing a video, etc.

I have lost network connectivity and had to restart the computer.  Not Shutdown, but the Restart, which restarts everything.  Shutdown keeps a copy of much of the Operating system on HD, like a Hibernation setting and restores that 'live copy' of what had been running before.

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP
42 minutes ago, Sabby123 said:

I dont think it's my ISP as it doesn't happen to my other pc and that's connected to the same modem

Have you made sure all of your drivers are all up to date on this pc? Is there a chance the Ethernet cable to this particular pc is damaged somehow? 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

To confirm, both PCs connected via ethernet?  Or one daughter is using wireless and the other has the ethernet?

If both are using ethernet cable - i agree with nabish about updating network drivers or replacing ethernet cable (swapthe cables to see if the issue starts to effect your other daughter!)

If one is operating wireless, can be lack of bandwidth, weak connection due to obstructions (walls and stuff), or failing router...or something else lol

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mraw435 said:

To confirm, both PCs connected via ethernet?  Or one daughter is using wireless and the other has the ethernet?

If both are using ethernet cable - i agree with nabish about updating network drivers or replacing ethernet cable (swapthe cables to see if the issue starts to effect your other daughter!)

If one is operating wireless, can be lack of bandwidth, weak connection due to obstructions (walls and stuff), or failing router...or something else lol

Yep both pcs are connected via ethernet I am going to try a new ethernet cable 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

In case that the new cable does not solve your issue.

do you have access to the admin panel of your router/modem ?

I can modify settings in my modem/router that been provided by my ISP 
verify that there is no bandwith limit or something set by factory on there

dumb trick that you may already know but worth mentioning, try to unplug your modem 10 sec than plug it back on, sometime it does solve the problem, it does happen to have little bugs from time to time like every peice of hardware.

• Like 3

• Leader
16 hours ago, SlitfaceJR said:

try to unplug your modem 10 sec than plug it back on,

My ISP suggests doing that once a week for this Gateway, to allow new updates to take effect.  

I have had to replace a computer-to-modem/gateway cable.  I guess that it didn't "like" the little bend it had in it, which was twisted a little each time that I power-cycled the unit. :?:  (Seems to work better.  😄 )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2023 at 3:20 PM, RedBaird said:

My ISP suggests doing that once a week for this Gateway, to allow new updates to take effect.  

I have had to replace a computer-to-modem/gateway cable.  I guess that it didn't "like" the little bend it had in it, which was twisted a little each time that I power-cycled the unit. :?:  (Seems to work better.  😄 )

Although i agree its always good to turn things off now and again and cold boot etc,

Lines with DLM for instance should ideally be kept on at all times unless you really need to turn off, too many switches off and on and the DLM thinks your line is unstable so lowers the speed of the line to help compensate the instability. Although the speeds can go back up they wont if you constantly reboot and it could take months to regain any speed loss. 

• Surprise 1
  • 100 1