Getting ET running with no video card.

Raw64life

Hi. I just built a new computer that, thanks to the wonderful chip shortage, currently has no video card in it. The CPU has an iGPU in it so I should be able to run this game fine I think. But I always could be wrong.

I last built a PC in 2016 and I remember having a hell of a time getting ET up and running on it (I had Windows 10 on that PC, same as the new PC). Unfortunately, I flushed the memory of what I did to get it to work. I also had a video card in my 2016 build, so I might not necessarily need to do the same thing.

The build - oIj11DJ.png

Anyway, I installed 2.60b off of our own forums here and after installing was greeted with - cGXU8c9.png

First I tried simply copying the "etmain" and "silent" folders from the ET on my 2016 build over the fresh install onto the ET on my new PC. No dice.

A search of "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem" on the forums here leads to a handful of many years old threads with people having the same problem. The most common response involved resetting/reinstalling/tinkering with the video card, so that's out.

The next most common response was to tinker with the config resolution settings. This gave me Vietnam flashbacks of some of the things I tried to do in vain while trying to get ET running on my 2016 build 6 years ago. My new PC is on the same monitor running at the same resolution, so copying my old config to the new build should have fixed this problem if that was the issue. I'm already at [seta r_mode "-1"] with the resolution set in the config as the same resolution that worked on my other build. Also running as administrator changes nothing.

So instead of giving myself the headache that I know I would get by pressing on, I thought I'd create a 2022 edition of the OpenGL help thread and see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Betinho said:

You already checked this topics?

All of those as well as several other older threads regarding the OpenGL error. As I stated in the OP:

48 minutes ago, Raw64life said:

A search of "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem" on the forums here leads to a handful of many years old threads with people having the same problem.

To reiterate what I said in the OP:

I cannot update/reinstall a video card or drivers because there is no video card in my PC

I already tried tinkering with my config (seta r_mode "-1", customheight, customwidth, etc.), and it didn't work.

I already tried running as administrator, and it didn't work.

I already tried creating a shortcut and adding command lines within the shortcut, and it didn't work.

Those are the solutions provided in prior threads that produce the same or similar OpenGL error. I tried them all but cannot yet get ET to work.

after reading through some other 'related posts:

1.) Check BIOS to see if your comp can autodetect the iGPU or if it is simply looking for the missing gpu

2.) Download driver updates from intel (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199335/intel-core-i710700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html)

3.) 

On 5/22/2019 at 4:30 PM, DoubleDragon said:

creating a shortcut of et.exe and editing the properties "target" will override any config settings and don't have to edit any configs or change files in WolfET folder

add this to the end of the shortcut target and change the width and height of your display monitor

+r_customwidth "1366" +r_customheight "768"  +set r_mode "-1" +vid_restart

should look like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" +r_customwidth "1366" +r_customheight "768" +set r_mode "-1" +vid_restart

but really its more or less a directx issue because the image supplied from first post is a error of a clean install r_mode is set to 3 with resolution 800x600 it should open at that range the pixel format was unreadable doesn't say anything about resolution or error outside of 3dfx not working

this game can run on integrated graphics if the driver for the graphics card like Ati is unsupported for the pixel format just disable the driver in device manager you will still get the pass through on graphics

post your cfg.  what o/s u use?

even a intergrated video chipset.  will have a driver.   is the 3d on .

maybe your trying to go to high a res for your chipset. try   /r_mode 3 

and maybe your bios . is by passing the recognize video? go in to bios turn it on or set it too ur chipset.

but ....

run as admin. 

run in compatibility mode w7 

i am gonna guess u have some settings not right in cfg.  like r_lastValidRenderer  i bet its still set to your old card.????

r_glDriver "opengl32"  what does this say in your cfg. 

also if u have custom height and width backwards u will get this error.

Edited by captnconcrete

Try install the on-board VGA driver from this website and see if it works:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z490-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support

Click the Driver tab and choose On-Board VGA Drivers

Title
Intel VGA Driver
Version
Release Date
2021-05-11
File Size
411.67 MB

• 100 1

17 hours ago, mraw435 said:

after reading through some other 'related posts:

1.) Check BIOS to see if your comp can autodetect the iGPU or if it is simply looking for the missing gpu

2.) Download driver updates from intel (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199335/intel-core-i710700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html)

3.) 

2 hours ago, ElEl said:

Try install the on-board VGA driver from this website and see if it works:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z490-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support

Click the Driver tab and choose On-Board VGA Drivers

Title
Intel VGA Driver
Version
Release Date
2021-05-11
File Size
411.67 MB

Thanks, these may have helped. After installing these, I eventually found out the problem was that Windows 10 wasn't fully up to date, even though when I'd check for updates it would say I was up to date. I had to manually uninstall every Windows 10 update and then manually reinstall the latest update.

The first thing I did once the update finished was double click ET and it worked right away lol

Thanks for the help 👍

• Like 2

You are using 2.60b or etlegacy ?

Etlagacy solves many problems.

Gengis

Edited by Gengis
  • Like 2

I haven't re-installed ET in probably over a decade, but I have upgraded my computer hardware 4 -5 times since then.  I keep a copy of my ET directory on my google drive.  With all the maps & files, it's under 6GB.   When I upgrade/move to a new computer, I just copy the entire directory over to the new PC and put a link on my desktop.  Advantages are all the maps are there, my ETKEY is copied with it & it's quicker to get gaming again.   ET from my experience has not required a true install when moving computers.  Note my experiences are for Windows, assume same for other O/S. 

• Like 2