Need suggestions to organize notes

daredevil

• Administrators

My old school way of taking notes with pen and paper is not working anymore because of various reasons. 

Any suggestions, so that i can take notes digitally, search through it and auto organize it per day/topic. 

• Like 2
  • 100 1

Personally, I use Google Keep for everyday notes.

Like, during meetings. And I link the notes to people or to my calendar and task lists (you can add reminders on your notes or stuff like that which is useful).

Basically, it’s easy and intuitive and you can fuse it with the functions of the other Google tools (your calendar, task, docs, excel…). 

But the best tool for you may depend on what kind of notes you’re taking.

Pretending Gravity Falls GIF

Edited by Cross Marian
  • Like 5

If you have Office 365 - I started using OneNote and it has grown on me. Previously, I used Sticky Notes which took up my entire desktop and became disorganized very quickly. OneNote I have access on my computer and cell and can be organized into various groups and listed by date. Has helped me stop buying a ton of notebooks which end up gathering dust in my closet once filled. 

10 minutes ago, Cross Marian said:

But the best tool for you may depend on what kind of notes you’re taking.

Agreed!

For me - I use OneNote for work (notes from Zoom calls and to-do lists), personal growth (nightly thoughts and goals), fitness (goals and progress), and anything my wife tells me to remember!

• Like 4

That's a problem I had for a long time and still have sometimes, cause it's still an evolution when your needs change
I still love paper a pen for what I am doing right now or the ideas I can have and that I don't need to disturb me at the moment

But need to keep it under control and organize everything I write each week, or each days

I use Todoist,  with a NOW side and an IDEAS side, to not have them always under my eyes, but still have what I need in the moment. 

And in the next future I would like to combine it with Evernote, to be able to archive digitally all the papers I cannot put on list, with scan or pics 

That could be useful to know the various reasons cause there's not one method who works why everybody, there is one for everybody and need to found the best with our needs. 

PM me if you want to talk about :) 

• Like 2

I use an Android app called "Agenda Escolar" you may find it under the name "School Agenda" in English, I use it to keep track of my homeworks, schedule, etc.

However, it can work for anything you need, you can establish notes, remainders, homeworks, schedules and more, give it a try, it has a nice looking week schedule and you can mark homeworks already done, so you can go for the upcoming one and see the date due.

Also, you can sort by (in my case) subject, so I can search for maths, science, etc.

Edited by Blu2300
  • Like 1

I would recommend Onenote as above it is very good and would suit all your needs.

I do use Evernote myself as I just prefer it.

I have heard good things about notion also, but I have never used it but worth a look!

• Like 1

I recently met a chess teacher, he was a pretty cool dude. He told me about how he keeps his notes and it kinda stuck with me. If you're using something as simple as WhatsApp in your private life, create a group adding someone to it, remove them and have the group for yourself. Pin the group to the top and rename it to something like "notes". I tried lots of different apps and approaches for taking notes but nothing worked as well as something I'd see every single time I open up my most used app. Only negative is you cant really organize the notes as per day/topic but you can "favourite" your messages to see them in the favourites list. If you figure out a way to organize them yourself with simple letters and symbols you can use its search function pretty usefully. It really helps to start taking more notes at the very least.

• Administrators

Thanks for the ideas so far. One note is something I am checking. 3rd party applications are not allowed at my workplace.

Looks like need iPad this Thanks giving. Problems of not having sharp memory anymore but still to stay competitive with 21 year old sharp minds! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 11/12/2021 at 8:25 PM, ASBO said:

If that is the sort of thing you are looking for, my friend has one of these and raves about it

https://remarkable.com/store/remarkable-2

Too costly for me. :( 

I got the iPad on sharing basis. During day, I take notes and at night my kid is gonna do his homework on it! I have some additional questions on apps but will open separate topic for it. 

• Platinum VIP
On 11/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, mraw435 said:

If you have Office 365 - I started using OneNote and it has grown on me. Previously, I used Sticky Notes which took up my entire desktop and became disorganized very quickly. OneNote I have access on my computer and cell and can be organized into various groups and listed by date. Has helped me stop buying a ton of notebooks which end up gathering dust in my closet once filled. 

Agreed!

For me - I use OneNote for work (notes from Zoom calls and to-do lists), personal growth (nightly thoughts and goals), fitness (goals and progress), and anything my wife tells me to remember!

I also use OneNote across all platforms (Excvept Linux). I couldn't live without it anymore

15 hours ago, daredevil said:

Too costly for me. :( 

I got the iPad on sharing basis. During day, I take notes and at night my kid is gonna do his homework on it! I have some additional questions on apps but will open separate topic for it. 

They have now put loads of the features behind a subscription paywall anyway 🙄 trying to charge a premium device price and then do that, no wonder so many tech companies go under, they just don't understand consumers sometimes.

So all my friend does it complain about the company now, so best off not a getting one anyhow! 😂

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, ASBO said:

They have now put loads of the features behind a subscription paywall anyway 🙄 trying to charge a premium device price and then do that, no wonder so many tech companies go under, they just don't understand consumers sometimes.

So all my friend does it complain about the company now, so best off not a getting one anyhow! 😂

I think it's good in the env where it's required for example Fabrication labs. But for a normal folks like me, 300$+tax just to take notes, is premium price. I think they will face competition from android tablets soon once folks understand lot's of working/office people need to take notes in a digital manner so it's more organized and searchable. 

Maybe we should all resort back to the old school Etch a Sketch!

Amazon.com: Etch A Sketch Classic Sketch, Multicolor : Toys & Games

More on topic: 

OneNote has a scan/take picture option too which I just found - if I end up jotting down some notes on paper - I can easily take a picture and organize it into my app. Can help if you are ipad-less at any time. If you have a stylus pen - can also handwrite anything on a device. 

• Haha 4

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, mraw435 said:

OneNote has a scan/take picture option too which I just found - if I end up jotting down some notes on paper - I can easily take a picture and organize it into my app. Can help if you are ipad-less at any time. If you have a stylus pen - can also handwrite anything on a device. 

Does it convert screenshot to text? My end goal is to make it searchable. This way after 6 months, I can search my notes.