Lags out 100% of the time ....

Thule

So I am trying to play F|A's SilEnT server again.  Every time I join I eventually get the connection error that shows the disconnected wall plug graphic.  I then I have to disconnect, normally close ET, then relaunch and reconnect.  Generally speaking it happens around 15-20 minutes of being on.  I'm running on a very high-end, custom built machine running Windows 10.  This is the only game and server I'm seeing this type of issue.

Any ideas on what to try?  I'd really like to be active on the servers again.  Thank you for any assistance. :)

Thanks guys for the help.  Much appreciated.  I will try those when I get home tonight.

The processor is indeed AMD (Ryzen 7 3800X).  The video card is a NVIDIA GTX 1660, if that helps.

One other clue;  if I change ET to windowed, then back again, it temporarily fixes it.  But the issue comes back a few minutes later.

It doesn't appear to lose connection.  It just shows the graphic and I can't do anything (e.g., move, shoot, etc.).  If I close ET and go back in it starts behaving again then eventually does what described.  I can't finish an entire map before it kicks in.

35 minutes ago, Thule said:

It doesn't appear to lose connection.  It just shows the graphic and I can't do anything (e.g., move, shoot, etc.).  If I close ET and go back in it starts behaving again then eventually does what described.  I can't finish an entire map before it kicks in.

If you can't move or shoot, I think you do lose connection to the server. If it was just the icon it might have been that your fps was too high (>333), which causes the icon too appear in lagometer, but doesn't prevent you from moving/shooting AFAIK.

Just wondering, if this happens, can you still ping the server? (open command prompt and type "ping s1.clan-fa.com" without quotes)

Edited by Broham

Could you try to record it ?

r_swapInterval 0 in your ET config.

r_finish 0 in your ET config.

r_lastvalidrenderer in ET console it shows you that ET is using correct graphics card , not some other GPU that is on your motherboard.

r_texturebits 16 in your ET config.

THREADED OPTIMIZATION is turned OFF for ET in NVIDIA control panel.

r_primitives 2 in your et config

run et as administrator mode, set in task manager affinity to only core 0/1

Do vid_restart after each command you type.

• 4 months later...

Quick follow up:

• I did r_swapinterval 0
  • I did r_finish 0
  • I did r_lastvalidrenderer and it shows the GeForce card.
  • I did r_texturebits 16
  • I did r_primitives 2
  • vid_restart was done after each of the aforementioned commands.
  • I ran as administrator.
  • I did not see ET listed in the NVIDIA control panel, so I added it manually.  I don't see an option about thread optimization.  
  • I opened task manager I don't see an option to change the affinity.
  • When all that did not work, I tried running in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode and still no luck.

I have not tried:

• Creating a demo for review.  It would be a bit boring for the early part for whoever is watching it, but I will do so.
  • Reinstalled a fresh copy of ET.  Both of the copies I have were copied from my older Windows 7 box where they ran without any issue.  If this is worth trying, I will.

Thank you all in advance for any help.  I'd really like to play on F|A again very much.

list ur pc specs. plz.

also post ur _r settings ..

im not a w10 buff. still on w7  but sounds too me like u dont have control of ur pc.  if u go to task manager and dont see a setting to change the affinity . or thread optimization. u must not have full admin ..?????

when in task manager u must  right click on et.exe to pull up affinity..  when in ur nvidia control panel in manage 3d settings ... click on program settings it should pull up wolf et. then u should see thread optimization. if u dont  check out diff driver. ill wait for u to post.. ur pc specs and ur cfg  in mod ur having problem  would be nice too see also.

• Like 1

Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro (64-bit, x64)

• AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core processor

• 32 GB RAM

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660  (Driver updated to latest release 8/17/2020)

I have local admin rights on this box.

Right-click on ET.EXE does not show an option for "affinity". 

image.png.c028ee044c4f9f660c8721faa8c08afd.png

Since posting earlier, I found ET in the control panel, and changed the setting.  I haven't had a chance to test yet.  (Tested, still doesn't work.)

image.png.4d88e64c5a8c41877c5422a658b2c8a9.png

It has been a while since I've mucked around in ET console.  How do I produce the "_r settings"?

Thanks for the reply.

Where did you get the ET installer? was it a clean install or was it a drag and drop from an older system?

Is it ET 2.60b or Legacy?

Also i know silent uses silent.dat but do you have an ETKey and is it installed correctly, not having a key installed properly will still allow you to connect and play for a short time.

Have you tried other servers?

Bit of info and suggestions:

Windows 10 affinity options are slightly different. To set in win10 open taskman then either click the details tab at the top (or right click ET.exe then select 'go to details') then right click on the ET.exe in the details process list and you can then set affinity. Personally i cant see that being an issue though but least you now know how.;)

As you have tried the basics like run as admin etc if your running ET 2.60b then i'd advise trying ET legacy and seeing if you still have the same issue, or visa versa if your already using legacy try 2.60b. Legacy and 2.60b can both be installed at the same time and work independent of the other, if nothing else it will help eliminate ET as the problem.

Try that to start and come back if its still not working or your having the exact same issue with Legacy.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 1