I think I'm not the only one who has this problem

Lenovo

Good morning, I write this message
this is why too many incorrect client-side connection settings on the Jaymod servers create lag and confusion
following the Enemy Territory guides all experts know that:
if a player has a good connection (ping 40-60)
the recommended cl_maxpackets setting is 100
if a player has a discrete connection (ping 70-100)
the recommended cl_maxpackets setting is 60-100
if a player has an acceptable connection (ping 100-150)
the recommended cl_maxpackets setting is 60
if a player has a bad connection (ping 160-300)
the recommended cl_maxpackets setting is 30 perhaps with the addition of cl_timenudge
unfortunately there are many players who despite having low latencies, so very good connections, use cl_maxpackets 30, I noticed with much regret that when I have a duel with these players that I define (Lamers) I have broken connection and a sudden lag, and in that moment my gun fires in slow motion, and I die, then I check with / players the settings of the player I met and I notice this cl_maxpackets 30 on a connection that deserves 100

my request to those who manage Jaymod server configurations is as follows:

someone really good could devise a script to be placed on the servers that forces the maxpackets to 100 for all the clients that have a good or discrete connection that does not exceed the ping 100?

P.S. I hope this topic will create a happy and peaceful exchange of ideas and that it is interesting and at the same time intelligent for everyone, while waiting for your opinions, I offer my best regards to the whole community

Edited by JirenTV

Huge -1 to forced maxpackets to 100.
I think there's a huge general misunderstandings of what the client-side network settings do. Let me clear up maxpackets for you:

For maxpackets in particular... It should be relative to maxfps and upload. For those with low upload speeds or poor bandwidth, a lower value actually improves their connection. Otherwise, it should be equal to 1/2 of their FPS afaik. If everyone's MaxFPS is higher than 200, then and only then should 100 be enforced.

General advice: don't focus on anyone's settings besides your own. What's "incorrect" for you might be perfect for someone else. Ping/latency doesn't really mean crap. Someone can be living nextdoor to the datacenter with 10ms ping, and have 64k dialup. They'd have a low ping, but a shitty connection. Yes, latency/ping affects gameplay. But what really matters is stability. If it's stable, they can enjoy their game. If not, then everyone loses. Just enjoy the game.

Also, calling other people lamers for their net settings isn't cool. As said above, clientside cvars don't have a "one size fits all" setting. Heck, with that mentality I could complain that you're on Wi-Fi, but I don't.
If you seriously want cvar enforcement, we have ETPro servers. The rest are pub aimed at enjoyable gameplay for all.

Also: for me, I'm on 1GBPS FTTN. (Fiber) I live halfway across the world from Jay3 where I see you most often. I have 168ms ping there. You call that a bad connection? My connection is faster than yours, and because I'm on Ethernet from my computer to my modem, it's more stable. Does that mean I should enforce my settings on you? No.

• Like 7

I'm probably angry, because in the FA servers in the last days you can not shoot and we all have a big lag, then maybe I justified myself so, but when you played ETPRO, which I played from 2003 to 2012, you really played without lag, here at Jaymod, it looks like a brothel

see the opponents get on you, jerk and pim pim 2 shots and you died snez not even realize what p success I think that bothering everyone, mentr efino 2 days ago, it was all fluid and fun, I just now have a ping to jat1 and jay3 gives me a meida of 500ms and my connection is ok to other ip my ping 20-40

it's the first time it happens

2 days - it's hell

sorry

• Platinum VIP

When you played ETPro, you were probably on closer servers to where you live, most are/were in Europe. When you play on Jat 1, that server is in NY City area, which is further, so your ping would be much higher

i agree  some what brought this up before..

i get flustred up a bit when i do / players and they have 4000 rate and 15 maxpackets.... 

but lamers for a connection issue is  probably wrong way to explain it..  i  try to first help them but some just ignor u .. lol

i  do  notice  . this my self . i guess i dont understand why in 2018   et dls   . at 2003 settings.

et is  for us old player a sick addiction. so in a way of life . and at times we can for get it is just a game.

probably hippy cats five hundred page cfg causing the lag spikes.lol

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, captnconcrete said:

i agree  some what brought this up before..

i get flustred up a bit when i do / players and they have 4000 rate and 15 maxpackets.... 

but lamers for a connection issue is  probably wrong way to explain it..  i  try to first help them but some just ignor u .. lol

i  do  notice  . this my self . i guess i dont understand why in 2018   et dls   . at 2003 settings.

et is  for us old player a sick addiction. so in a way of life . and at times we can for get it is just a game.

probably hippy cats five hundred page cfg causing the lag spikes.lol

4000 rate or 15 maxpackets shouldn't happen often. If they connect through in game menu, it should fix that up on next visit.

• Like 2