ocassional BSODs and blkSOD's after quitting ET o.O

Xernicus

I've come across an interesting issue as of late with my new uATX build... sometimes when I quit ET I get a black screen of death, and I have to nail the power button, or I get a BSOD.

I can't find the BSOD info in my event viewer... -_-", but I can find a potentially related application error:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>100</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-04-18T22:38:49.000000000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>1801</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>uATX-PC</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>PnkBstrA.exe</Data> 
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data> 
  <Data>4ce36750</Data> 
  <Data>unknown</Data> 
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data> 
  <Data>00000000</Data> 
  <Data>c0000005</Data> 
  <Data>74436a64</Data> 
  <Data>714</Data> 
  <Data>01cf5b56a191f94e</Data> 
  <Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PnkBstrA.exe</Data> 
  <Data>unknown</Data> 
  <Data>354847f3-c74a-11e3-9d54-74d43599d09f</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

The only thing I can think of that would be causing this would be that I copied my W:ET installation folder over from another PC... I however cannot find a fast, reliable official download source for W:ET, all mirrors I have found are drop-dead slow (SplashDamage, TB).... I just do not feel like waiting 2+ hours for a mere few hundred mbytes download that I know I can complete in under 10 minutes.

I've come across an interesting issue as of late with my new uATX build... sometimes when I quit ET I get a black screen of death, and I have to nail the power button, or I get a BSOD.

I can't find the BSOD info in my event viewer... -_-", but I can find a potentially related application error:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>100</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-04-18T22:38:49.000000000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>1801</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>uATX-PC</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>PnkBstrA.exe</Data> 
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data> 
  <Data>4ce36750</Data> 
  <Data>unknown</Data> 
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data> 
  <Data>00000000</Data> 
  <Data>c0000005</Data> 
  <Data>74436a64</Data> 
  <Data>714</Data> 
  <Data>01cf5b56a191f94e</Data> 
  <Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PnkBstrA.exe</Data> 
  <Data>unknown</Data> 
  <Data>354847f3-c74a-11e3-9d54-74d43599d09f</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

The only thing I can think of that would be causing this would be that I copied my W:ET installation folder over from another PC... I however cannot find a fast, reliable official download source for W:ET, all mirrors I have found are drop-dead slow (SplashDamage, TB).... I just do not feel like waiting 2+ hours for a mere few hundred mbytes download that I know I can complete in under 10 minutes.

Speak English Please..xD 

If you want, I can upload the ET 2.6b full to mediafire or something, that was downloaded from TB (Our mirror from our download page) And let you try that..

I can also send the file direct if you have a reliable method to use. XFire never works well for me.

EDIT: Actually I've already got it uploaded if you want to give it a shot: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0iw3c1j7gav63mu/WolfET_2_60b_custom.zip

Edited by Antichrist
  • Like 1

Thanks Anti, that was a much faster download... I was still waiting for one that I started from the FA downloads section (mirror was to trackbase) :P

Did a fresh install, and now we'll see if the problem reproduces. My guess is that there was an issue with Punkbuster not having a registry key or something (as ET still wants an installation of it). Oddly enough however, it did not give me a "Bad in (0)" error, like I'd expect if there was actually an issue with Punkbuster and my client. Hopefully this will work! *fingers crossed* :D

When I'm not sure from where come my BSODs I use this tool: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Give it a try, it will point at the process\dll who crashes your pc in a simple way.

-download link:

Comprehensible crash dump analysis tool
for Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2012/2008/2003 (x86 and x64)
Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 2

Sure enough, I have it set to make a full kernel-mode dump if Windows crashes. Used Windbg, and it looks like I need to change the RAM sharing settings for my gfx card in the BIOS. Thanks Joe! :D