Problem RATE forced

Lenovo

4 minutes ago, Dest!Ny said:

Why each map tho? It would be more handy if just the initial value is set to 45000 / 100 until you overwrite your etconfig 🤷🏼‍♂️

not sure if i understand you correct but i think it is. its atm setted like that in order to change it you have to enable your cfg but it resets each map back to those initial values

• Platinum VIP
2 minutes ago, DFighter said:

not sure if i understand you correct but i think it is. its atm setted like that in order to change it you have to enable your cfg but it resets each map back to those initial values

Yea, I believe I understand what youre saying but isnt it annoying for people who wish to play on different settings (me) to have to change their values every single map? Correct me if Im wrong here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dest!Ny said:

Yea, I believe I understand what youre saying but isnt it annoying for people who wish to play on different settings (me) to have to change their values every single map? Correct me if Im wrong here. 

just enable cfg each map no biggie atleast now we keep a whole lot more new players because they dont leave right away due massive laggs and not all speak english now there settings are fixed when they enter the server saves admins a lot of time and effort explaining and helps new players so they dont lagg if they enter the server and leave right away

• Thanks 1

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, DFighter said:

just enable cfg each map no biggie atleast now we keep a whole lot more new players because they dont leave right away due massive laggs and not all speak english now there settings are fixed when they enter the server saves admins a lot of time and effort explaining and helps new players so they dont lagg if they enter the server and leave right away

I see why you want to have it in the first place. But why every map? If a person doesnt change these values himself on map 1 why force it again on map 2? :P

I think having to execute my cfg every map is rather annoying and sounds not necessary. I think there could easily be a solution that meets everybody's wishes

8 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

maxpackets and rate are 2 different things. 

I am aware of this hip both settings are now forced and both settings can still be changed if you require a different value

i dont see the problem in helping inexperienced players who dont or cant change these values there have been a number of players with dialup settings on jay1 lately and they teleport all over the map not hitting anything 

i specced you yesterday after you were crying about the changes and watched you trying to kill experienced players by shooting them in the toes maybe if you aimed at their head you would win a few more battles

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum VIP
36 minutes ago, MikeSlayer said:

I am aware of this hip both settings are now forced and both settings can still be changed if you require a different value

i dont see the problem in helping inexperienced players who dont or cant change these values there have been a number of players with dialup settings on jay1 lately and they teleport all over the map not hitting anything 

i specced you yesterday after you were crying about the changes and watched you trying to kill experienced players by shooting them in the toes maybe if you aimed at their head you would win a few more battles

This is what I was talking about, on my screen, I AM aiming at their head, but I'm not getting hits, certainly not head shots. Something changed. Today on Pirates , I was camped, watching players move around and there's a slight stutter, very slight, to their movement, and my snaps were dropping to 17 constantly with a lot of yellow in the graph. This hasn't happened before the last few days, so it's probably not the new rates. One thing though, you guys are dead on. It's so frustrating watching and try ing to help new guys make changes in their console when they don't understand

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Dest!Ny said:

I see why you want to have it in the first place. But why every map? If a person doesnt change these values himself on map 1 why force it again on map 2? :P

I think having to execute my cfg every map is rather annoying and sounds not necessary. I think there could easily be a solution that meets everybody's wishes

In ETPRO - you don't have an option. Everything is forced to 100 maxpackets.  Around 60-90% servers would force to 100 maxpackets, straight up. No option all together. 

Sadly we are the only 'few' remaining clan still running Jaymod - Most are either on NQ, Nitmod or silent mod. Where admins will use forcecvar and make it all to 100 like ETPRO. 

The best option for admins, new players and regulars = 100 maxpackets on each map start. Now if admins see anyone below 30 for more then 3 maps straight up, no benefit doubt - they are free to put that player to spec, because that player knowingly would use 15 maxpackets. sv_cvar is not available option in Jaymod. All this jaymod features are custom addition for our servers. 

If anyone wants to maxpackets below 100 - use below bind. Just press the key after warmup once you add below bind in your config. 

bind - cl_maxpackets 100

Let me know if you above doesn't work for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum VIP
4 hours ago, daredevil said:

In ETPRO - you don't have an option. Everything is forced to 100 maxpackets.  Around 60-90% servers would force to 100 maxpackets, straight up. No option all together. 

Sadly we are the only 'few' remaining clan still running Jaymod - Most are either on NQ, Nitmod or silent mod. Where admins will use forcecvar and make it all to 100 like ETPRO. 

The best option for admins, new players and regulars = 100 maxpackets on each map start. Now if admins see anyone below 30 for more then 3 maps straight up, no benefit doubt - they are free to put that player to spec, because that player knowingly would use 15 maxpackets. sv_cvar is not available option in Jaymod. All this jaymod features are custom addition for our servers. 

If anyone wants to maxpackets below 100 - use below bind. Just press the key after warmup once you add below bind in your config. 

bind - cl_maxpackets 100

Let me know if you above doesn't work for you. 

Im aware of ETPro's forced cvars :) Thing is that I thought you save bandwidth if you pick a maxpackets that is close to a divider of your maxfps, like 63*2 = 126 = about 125. Thats why I started using maxpackets 63 and it felt better for me, unless its a placebo. ETPro tends to be a lot smoother than jay1 as Im not losing any snaps on ETPro (whatever those things are. Guess that shows how much I know on the technical end). Thus on jay1 I try to have my settings as efficient as possible :)

Thanks for the suggestion of a bind. Its so stupidly simple Im pretty disappointed I didnt figure that out myself yesterday ^^

• Administrators
Just now, Dest!Ny said:

Im aware of ETPro's forced cvars :) Thing is that I thought you save bandwidth if you pick a maxpackets that is close to a divider of your maxfps, like 63*2 = 126 = about 125. Thats why I started using maxpackets 63 and it felt better for me, unless its a placebo. ETPro tends to be a lot smoother than jay1 as Im not losing any snaps on ETPro (whatever those things are. Guess that shows how much I know on the technical end). Thus on jay1 I try to have my settings as efficient as possible :)

Thanks for the suggestion of a bind. Its so stupidly simple Im pretty disappointed I didnt figure that out myself yesterday ^^

That's why we did only at start of map. I believe you are incorrect on your frames and maxpacket logic. 

Frames >= 100  = maxpackets 100 best.

Frames < 100 = Frames / 2 = maxpackets

I noticed many players play with 60 com_maxfps. For them 30 or 60 maxpackets are best.

The reason you feel ETPRO is lot smooth is because less then 24 players on an avg or at 32 max.  Try ETPRO with 60 slots. It would be mess. 

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
3 hours ago, daredevil said:

That's why we did only at start of map. I believe you are incorrect on your frames and maxpacket logic. 

I noticed many players play with 60 com_maxfps. For them 30 or 60 maxpackets are best.

The reason you feel ETPRO is lot smooth is because less then 24 players on an avg or at 32 max.  Try ETPRO with 60 slots. It would be mess. 

100 packets is fine assuming your 125 is stable 24/7. In the end if your fps is 125 the packets that get send wont go above 63 either way (maxpackets is not actual packets) and the engine will choose the smallest divider to find the packets you receive (i.e. 125/2 is the first value under 100 max packets). However if my fps drops below 100 at any point in time the engine will send me near 100 packets instead because 100/1 is now the first value under my maxpackets of 100. I dont want to play on 100 packets because to me it is a waste of bandwidth and will only result in more lag (especially when the game jumps from 63 to 100 packets in less than a second)

• Like 4

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Dest!Ny said:

100 packets is fine assuming your 125 is stable 24/7. In the end if your fps is 125 the packets that get send wont go above 63 either way (maxpackets is not actual packets) and the engine will choose the smallest divider to find the packets you receive (i.e. 125/2 is the first value under 100 max packets). However if my fps drops below 100 at any point in time the engine will send me near 100 packets instead because 100/1 is now the first value under my maxpackets of 100. I dont want to play on 100 packets because to me it is a waste of bandwidth and will only result in more lag (especially when the game jumps from 63 to 100 packets in less than a second)

If you don't have stable FPS and dips below - 100 then you fall in 2nd line of logic - 

At the end of the day, on today's ISP connection, you wouldn't be having any issues. ET uses BW in kbps so you are not going to save a ton.  Game was released when dial-up modem was a 'thing'. On cable connections of more then 20MBps now a days. cl_maxpackets 100 is ok as long as you are rendering 100 frames or more. 

Also if you max fps keeps on changing then it's pretty bad. You should limit the max fps to your lowest fps rate so that you get constant FPS. Also changing FPS = changing mouse movement.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

• Platinum VIP
12 minutes ago, daredevil said:

If you don't have stable FPS and dips below - 100 then you fall in 2nd line of logic - 

At the end of the day, on today's ISP connection, you wouldn't be having any issues. ET uses BW in kbps so you are not going to save a ton.  Game was released when dial-up modem was a 'thing'. On cable connections of more then 20MBps now a days. cl_maxpackets 100 is ok as long as you are rendering 100 frames or more. 

Also if you max fps keeps on changing then it's pretty bad. You should limit the max fps to your lowest fps rate so that you get constant FPS. Also changing FPS = changing mouse movement.

I'm sorry if I should have continued in pm but I'll reply anyways since I don't want people to be misinformed.

The categories you suggested;

12 hours ago, daredevil said:

you have it exactly backwards. 

Your actual pps is always a divider of your current fps. Unless you have exactly 100, 200, 300, etc fps your pps will never be 100. If your fps is anywhere above 100 your pps will always be half that because your maxpackets are locked to a maximum of 100. ET is not a new game running on a not so new engine. ET runs on a single thread so every action has to be sent in a frame, for exactly that reason running both maxfps 125 and maxpackets 100 at the same time makes very little sense. From a technical point of view the only benefit maxpackets 100 gives you is that your pps will be 100 instead of 50 when your fps hits 100 but if you actually have such instability in your fps I would not at all recommend to run a 1:1 fps pps ratio. 

When running a maxpackets of 63 you will run a 2:1 fps pps ratio until your fps hits 63 which should be perfectly fine. Of course certain people could use a maxfps of 250, 200, 166, 142, 111, 100, etc. All of these cases would require a different maxpackets to run efficiently but since most people use a maxfps of 125 I would instead recommend to force cl_maxpackets to 63. 

• 100 1

It's to bad that 125 maxfps isn't divisible by 63 but if it's working for your set up rock on!!  Others might be better off with the 142/71, or even 100/50.  I do feel that either way it all depends on each workstation your running with it's components and vid card especially and your ISP.  Best case scenario 200/100