hi from phantasm / obituary

obituary

Thanks everyone for the love! Completely unexpected and very nice to see so many people reply!

@Dare - yeah it was fun and simple in the beginning... didn't have to worry about much except aimbotters or in-game problems.

Masterlist spamming has always been a problem, or a useful tool for keeping a full server, depending on your point of view. And anyone who didn't have a server trick spammed the splashdamage forums whining about the people who did have a successful redirect tool (when they would have used gladly used one if they had one handed to them on a platter with a ribbon on it). Server façade was my favorite tool.

The real problem with ET is the platform changed, ten to fifteen years ago desktop PCs were the norm, and people were willing to invest hours into installing and configuring their games on those giant boxes. Now its all next-gen consoles and phone games and browser-based games, how do you compete with that? You could feel the change five years ago. I got an Xbox One in 2016 and have been playing CoD on that daily ever since.

Only way for ET to come back now is to make a completely browser-based version, with no masterlist or downloads, no administrator privileges needed, but who would do that for free, and keep up with all the platform changes? Some random Chrome update would screw it up, and then you would spend a month fixing it again. And it would just get ddossed out of existence when some botter gets banned and does a five-minute google search on how to ddos an IP address. So its not worth the investment.

Daredevil,  I think Jaybird really missed an opportunity by not selling you his source code when you were trying to get it. He should have been willing to pass the baton to someone who would care for his baby. And he released it anyway a couple years ago, now its way too late and nobody cares. I remember you tried to buy it from him for $300 eight years ago and he went ballistic, you just wanted to fix the problems, and he missed a golden opportunity to have someone carry on his work.

• Like 1