Some questions about your et servers

Neon

Hi - I have been playing on your ET servers (mainly http://et.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=515457) and I have some questions about it and your other et servers. I am just asking out of curiosity rather than complaint. Firstly - why are most of your servers hosted in the US when the VAST majority of the players on the server are in europe? All this means is that virtually every player on your servers suffers constant bad-to-heavy lag.

Secondly why do you use emsgaming as your provider? I have not rented from them before myself nor have I talked to anybody who has however.... thier website is of poor quality and of amateur design - I mean the background image has been taken from EVE online :huh:. Little information is given about the server you are ordering when you do so and prices are only given in US$ which is not very professional. The prices are quite good although ycn hosting is cheaper (marginally - a 32 slot costs £16.51 on ems and £16 on ycn). However another major failure is how when you are presented with 4 server locations which you can ping to test the latency but instead of providing you with the server's ip and pinging that, you are simply shown your own IP (with option to change what you ping, but server ip is not shown) so if you ping you just get 100% packet loss as you are pinging yourself. All in all it looks like a very poor server host.

Lastly why are you so restrictive with what members are allowed useful admin and which aren't? I am not new to server management and am aware that you cannot give anybody high-level commands such as ban / kick or even shuffle. But surely all members can be trusted with at least the ability to shuffle and I have no idea at all why you don't allow everyone on the server access to !spec999 which is unabusable. Perhaps it is not my place to say but you are being too restrictive - when teams need to be balanced or when greifers and cheaters need to be delt with the majority of the time nobody with high enough admin is there to do anything about it.

There are also several settings I would change on the server which I really do think it would VASTLY improve its quality but these are more subjective things and while I am sure they would make an improvement I think i will draw the line at telling you what settings you should edit :embrass.

Lastly why are you so restrictive with what members are allowed useful admin and which aren't? I am not new to server management and am aware that you cannot give anybody high-level commands such as ban / kick or even shuffle. But surely all members can be trusted with at least the ability to shuffle and I have no idea at all why you don't allow everyone on the server access to !spec999 which is unabusable.

You contradict yourself by saying "am aware that you cannot give anybody high-level commands such as ban / kick or even shuffle."

And by saying "But surely all members can be trusted with at least the ability to shuffle"

The !spec999 is given to users 1 level above the default level as it has been abused by people using it after quickly loading a map, whilst other people are still loading maps, forcing over half the server into spec.

The current level acl is at http://fearless-assassins.com/forum/topic/4752-new-wet-admin-level-system/

• Administrators

I think i will draw the line at telling you what settings you should edit :embrass.

Feel free to suggest everything. I look at every suggestions.

Sorry bout the contradiction just a typo - point was that shuffle can be abused but generally speaking it is not very likely to be abused by members (who presumably have brains hence being members).

I have also never once in my life seen anybody abuse spec999 in this way before however it is a very minor issue anyway and isnt much of a problem. I may make some suggestions then tomorrow when im on the PC - typing lots on an ipod is a b***.

i wouldent call it abuse, just ignorance. like when people look at teams and go even! without realsing bots are connecting and dissconneting. they just need to learn that not everyone has a mega awesome pc/connection and shall be slow in loading maps. they just see 999 ping and go 'goodie heres my chance to be show i am good admin'. they have good intentions, just poor understanding i think is all

In referance to your statement about us running mostly US servers: most players are not necessarily from Europe, as a ping of 150 does not denote that you come from that country. Plus their are quite a few Euro servers available for them to choose from.

All you have to do is ask and you find out that most players are from europe.

Anyway then... server suggestions.

Maps:

UJE 00, Oil Kombinat and Fuel Depot are not very popular. Generally speaking this is because on high-population servers maps with very linear pathways just end up being a wall of bullets which is no fun for anybody. UJE just seems horribly designed at many points where spawn points for both teams are FAR too close together.

Weapons:

I would really consider lowering flamer damage - at the moment on http://et.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=515457 it is extremely high. Nobody enjoys having thier sprees ruined everytime because a "pray and spray" flamer newbie has just charged into a crowd shooting everywhere. This is not so much of a problem on more open maps (though it is still extremely annoying) but on enclosed maps such as Fuel Depot it just gets silly. The flamer can fill up an entire room with flames every time garunteeing mass kills and just results in newbies choosing flamer and repeatedly suiciding by running into huge groups of enemies... and getting HUGE numbers of kills for it.

Similarly I am not a huge fan of panzers, airstrikes or arty and nor are many other people.These area of effect weapons that may have been balanced when about 20 players are on the server again, just get silly on 64 player servers. All high-damage settings for these do is reward camping and on maps with chokepoints such as Oasis they create a wall of death which totally ruins the gameplay for whoever has to run through it. (In truth I would disable flamers and panzers alltogether but I see how this may be inappropiate).

Throwing knife damage and poison damage should be increased. This is simply due to the fact that as it stands now once you get hit by a throwing knife you are dead, but usually the person who knifed you does not get awarded the kill when they really should have. The vast majority of the time when you hit someone with a throwing knife they are quickly shot by your team and quite rarely do they manage to get themselves cured. For this reason I don't really think upping the damage will cause it to become overpowered as such, it would simply make it more likely that the person who hits with the knife gets the kill.

I would also consider enabeling the higher rate of fire setting. Generally speaking on any server with adrenaline enabled higher rof should really be enabled too to balance it out. It lowers the survivability of rambo medics running into large crowds of enemies and also shortens firefights (which is a good thing as it is more realistic that way and helps prevent ganging i.e. other players running into your firefight before it is finished because your target's face is made of kevlar).

Maps:

UJE 00, Oil Kombinat and Fuel Depot are not very popular. Generally speaking this is because on high-population servers maps with very linear pathways just end up being a wall of bullets which is no fun for anybody. UJE just seems horribly designed at many points where spawn points for both teams are FAR too close together.

Weapons:

I would really consider lowering flamer damage - at the moment on http://et.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverinfo&idx=515457 it is extremely high. Nobody enjoys having thier sprees ruined everytime because a "pray and spray" flamer newbie has just charged into a crowd shooting everywhere. This is not so much of a problem on more open maps (though it is still extremely annoying) but on enclosed maps such as Fuel Depot it just gets silly. The flamer can fill up an entire room with flames every time garunteeing mass kills and just results in newbies choosing flamer and repeatedly suiciding by running into huge groups of enemies... and getting HUGE numbers of kills for it.

Similarly I am not a huge fan of panzers, airstrikes or arty and nor are many other people.These area of effect weapons that may have been balanced when about 20 players are on the server again, just get silly on 64 player servers. All high-damage settings for these do is reward camping and on maps with chokepoints such as Oasis they create a wall of death which totally ruins the gameplay for whoever has to run through it. (In truth I would disable flamers and panzers alltogether but I see how this may be inappropiate).

Throwing knife damage and poison damage should be increased. This is simply due to the fact that as it stands now once you get hit by a throwing knife you are dead, but usually the person who knifed you does not get awarded the kill when they really should have. The vast majority of the time when you hit someone with a throwing knife they are quickly shot by your team and quite rarely do they manage to get themselves cured. For this reason I don't really think upping the damage will cause it to become overpowered as such, it would simply make it more likely that the person who hits with the knife gets the kill.

I would also consider enabeling the higher rate of fire setting. Generally speaking on any server with adrenaline enabled higher rof should really be enabled too to balance it out. It lowers the survivability of rambo medics running into large crowds of enemies and also shortens firefights (which is a good thing as it is more realistic that way and helps prevent ganging i.e. other players running into your firefight before it is finished because your target's face is made of kevlar).

Thanks for taking your time to suggest some possible improvements.

1. Throwing knives are fine the way they are. If you have a ping over 200, you can't use a throwing knife, and will lead to massive inequality, of which high pingers are already disadvantaged.

2. Yes I agree that Fuel Depot, Oil Kombinat and UJE are pretty bad maps, and you are welcome to suggest other maps in the map request section.

3. Flamers are fine, if you can shoot straight, you should be able to get about 3 shots before you become engulfed in flames, and this is enough to take a flamer down.

4. Panzers, arty and airstrikes must stay, as fdops will be reduced to whorers. Also, you would find that the majority of people who are competent enough to place their arty in a place where they will get kills will be able to shoot straight, so I don't agree with arty promoting camping.

5. Europe isn't the centre of the universe, you know. If the servers moved to Europe, I wouldn't play here anymore, as my ping would rise from 330 to 450, and you would find that about half of the current population on all =F|A= ET servers is American, or Canadian, etc...

6. Higher rate of fire for smg = fg42. And we all know my opinion on that.

7. For the record, trials used to have shuffle, put, etc. all the necessary commands, until some idiots abused it, and now everyone is paying for it. I am in the clan and I don't even have shuffle, but this is because others abused it.

8. It is possible to abuse everything. We had a complaint topic from a trial member about the abuse of !pants.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to suggest some changes to the server, and I hope you do vote for new maps on Jaymod 2, as I think a poll will be coming up.

Of course more people on F|A servers are from Europe... more people PLAY ET from Europe, and more people LIVE in Europe.

USA -- 300 million people

Europe -- 830 million people

It would be stupid to put every server on ET in Europe, simply because it's the majority of players' home.

1. Throwing knives are fine the way they are. If you have a ping over 200, you can't use a throwing knife, and will lead to massive inequality, of which high pingers are already disadvantaged.

LOL are u kidding? I use throwing knives and kill people effectively and my avg ping is 330 for all FA servers in US.

btw ping does not matter (atleast for me) as ET has feature of Antilag.

-As for providing !spec999 command for all users it would be fail. A server regular tried to do !spec999 at start of game and this happened:

20100530050900fueldump.jpg

This is because some users have trouble in connection and then their connection becomes fine over time.So some noobs will do !spec999 repeatedly so it the cmd is given only to Level 1 and above.

-As for all FA servers I get very little lag even though I live very far from US.

-Increasing Rof for Jay 2 server will make the server just like a spam server.

Throwing knife damage and poison damage should be increased.

I think that a knife has high damage in jaymod compared to other mods. so, no need to increase this.

Yes, there ARE players from Europe but it doesnt mean that ALL the players are there. If you pay attention and actually ask you would notice a vast majority come from the North American side.

Maps:

UJE 00, Oil Kombinat, Fuel Depot - All these maps need to be replaced. As with others. Im pretty sure that a topic will be up to vote on maps that need to be replaced as was done with Jay 1 and ETPub. Also like Butterz stated, if you dont like maps, suggest maps to replace them.

Weapons:

I would really consider lowering flamer damage - at the moment on http://et.splatterla...info&idx=515457 it is extremely high. Nobody enjoys having thier sprees ruined everytime because a "pray and spray" flamer newbie has just charged into a crowd shooting everywhere. This is not so much of a problem on more open maps (though it is still extremely annoying) but on enclosed maps such as Fuel Depot it just gets silly. The flamer can fill up an entire room with flames every time garunteeing mass kills and just results in newbies choosing flamer and repeatedly suiciding by running into huge groups of enemies... and getting HUGE numbers of kills for it.

It is fine where it is at. Lower it, and flamers wouldnt be able to get a kill because of the rate at which we get all the medics, and players on the server, a flamer would go in to get a kill and get raped by all the medics packed together. If you can get precise shots, you CAN kill him before he fully engulfs you in his flame. Its not hard because even I can do it. Also if he is coming at you, just start running backwards or to the side, or jump and start shooting him.

Panzers, there is only one per team, not to outta hand, and the recharge rate keeps them from whoring the weapon. Airstrikes and arty arent horrible either, even with only one Field Op on a team you can only get two artys MAX out. But generally there are about 2-4 Field ops on a team, and in doing so, leaves 1-2 Field Ops not being able to throw Arty or Airstrikes. On the contrary, camping is allowed on =F|A= servers. Oasis has a chokepoint whether or not you use Arty. Get a bunch of medics and soldiers with MG-42's camping the tunnels and it makes it almost impossible for the Allies to get through and plant the dyno. Disabling panzers and flamers would in theory delete the class of Soldier, because then all that would be left is mortar and MG42 because you can get the shotgun and the SMG as a medic, which then would create more rambo medics.

Throwing knife damage actually is quite high. If you hit a medic with one, you take away ALOT of his health. But yes, I agree, as would anybody who wanted to get more kills, getting poison in people and then a teammate taking your kill can make you a tad bit annoyed and same with if they run to a medic or medic cabinet, but it makes it fair for that player so he can have a CHANCE to heal himself. Its not like he can pull out his own med packs and heal himself. In theory it supports teamplay if a poisoned person has to run to his medic and get healed. Also, if you get poison in someone and they nade themselves so that you cant get a kill. But if you really want the kill, take the knife, throw it, get it in the person, and that will severely wound them, and then take out your pistols or your SMG and shoot them, resulting in a quick death.

Firefights can be shortened, just have good aim, and tink tink tink tink, four headshots a medics dead. Any other player 3 headshots should do. But yea I know it isnt always possible to get headshots, but thats why you do a little jumping around and avoiding bullets and you can kill them. If you play on Jaymod 2 we have adrenaline there, and so then you can have your higher ROF when you use your momentary adrenaline. Always having high ROF would be kinda lame if you ask me. Everyone running around shooting like their on adrenaline? Ganging can also be a good thing though. Say for example, you as an engineer, are faced against a medic, chances are, the medic will kill you unless your good. If you have a teammate run in and help you, then you BOTH stay alive, and your enemy dies.

Hmm many of the points are subjective rather than objective although I really do disagree about flamers, especially on maps which consist of enclosed spaces in which you cannot get away from the flames. Furthermore even if players using field ops are capable of getting kills without the use of arty / airstrikes my point was that on some maps e.g. oasis, minas they will just camp spamming arty and airstrikes which creates a wall of explosions. They may be able to shoot, but it is easier to just hide behind a wall spamming stuff.

I didn't really suggest you should give shuffles to everybody but there have been many occasions on your servers where competant members were online but they were totaally incapable of balancing teams due to lack of admin rights.

I'll ask around and have a think about what maps would be good.

Secondly why do you use emsgaming as your provider? I have not rented from them before myself nor have I talked to anybody who has however.... thier website is of poor quality and of amateur design - I mean the background image has been taken from EVE online :huh:. Little information is given about the server you are ordering when you do so and prices are only given in US$ which is not very professional. The prices are quite good although ycn hosting is cheaper (marginally - a 32 slot costs £16.51 on ems and £16 on ycn).

There's not much difference between ycnhosting and emsgaming when we talk about a 64-slot server which is crowded almost 24/7. Besides, a friend of mine was dissatisfied with ycnhosting (from which he rented a 32-slot server)... awful lags every 2 minutes (or less), even when the server was half empty... But I like one thing about it: you can switch the server location any time you want without losing any data.

Besides, I'm not well-informed about those things, so I won't get further into that... just remember that ET is too old not to lag with 20+ players (and pb enabled) in a server, so you should just get over it and try to have as much fun as you can, even when the lags try to ruin the game.

Another thing I'd like to say is that level 8 members should have the !shuffle command. I mean, you trust them enough to consider them official members, so why not give them a little more autonomy when their trial period has ended (positively)? I believe it wouldn't hurt anybody.

Thanks for taking your time to suggest some possible improvements.

2. Yes I agree that Fuel Depot, Oil Kombinat and UJE are pretty bad maps, and you are welcome to suggest other maps in the map request section.

3. Flamers are fine, if you can shoot straight, you should be able to get about 3 shots before you become engulfed in flames, and this is enough to take a flamer down.

4. Panzers, arty and airstrikes must stay, as fdops will be reduced to whorers. Also, you would find that the majority of people who are competent enough to place their arty in a place where they will get kills will be able to shoot straight, so I don't agree with arty promoting camping.

5. Europe isn't the centre of the universe, you know. If the servers moved to Europe, I wouldn't play here anymore, as my ping would rise from 330 to 450, and you would find that about half of the current population on all =F|A= ET servers is American, or Canadian, etc...

6. Higher rate of fire for smg = fg42. And we all know my opinion on that.

7. For the record, trials used to have shuffle, put, etc. all the necessary commands, until some idiots abused it, and now everyone is paying for it. I am in the clan and I don't even have shuffle, but this is because others abused it.

8. It is possible to abuse everything. We had a complaint topic from a trial member about the abuse of !pants.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to suggest some changes to the server, and I hope you do vote for new maps on Jaymod 2, as I think a poll will be coming up.

Hallo sir Butterz. Lol you and your FG42 :lol:

Anyways for 7)

No one deserves shuffle until they can properly even teams and not abuse the darn putteam command. Very very very few trials and members put the effort to even teams and all just sit there and wait till Hulk (who happens to do like 90% of all the work on jay2) to come to fix everything for them. On jay2 you spend more time babysitting than playing (I don't even visit Jay2 anymore. I am ETpubbing). Probably if Hulk wasn't here the whole server would get Facked because of everyone just sitting on their asses and doing nothing (its true. It would be facked like hell).

Also shuffle is not as effective as you believe. For example whenever Nerd joins a team or a shuffle occurs, 3 players will right away try to move to the other team or spec. Then you have to use putteam anyways to even it. If you want shuffle Butterz just even teams anyway possible (ask then if it still isn't even move them). You have admin for a reason. Press tab every min to check on teams and do what you got to do.