Need a new gaming laptop

Wifestein

pffft i can't help my alienware broke.. blame my mom! no laptop can defend against an angry mommy hand punching the screen

You couldve just checked to see if it was a broken LCD screen and bought a replacement. Just as long as there was no hardware damage other than a cracked LCD screen it should have been easy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You couldve just checked to see if it was a broken LCD screen and bought a replacement. Just as long as there was no hardware damage other than a cracked LCD screen it should have been easy

The hinges are also broken, parts of the keyboard broke, the light of the alienware logo shines up in my screen, black parts that broke off are inside the screen..basically the whole screen thing and hinges n all that wud have to be replaced + things of keyboard and whatever.. sure that would cost more lol. i'm still playing with it though because I can't live without gaming for atleast a month if I've got nothing to do haha... using a few items to hold the screen up else it just "falls" down

do you have a good insurance? when my sister broke my old laptop, my mom checked our insurancepaper and they payed 500€(new price was 1000€ but it was 2 years old).

BUT my sister didnt punched my laptop she just let it fall to the ground ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.laptopshop.nl/product/349701/category-180891-msi-laptops/msi-ge60-0nd-488nl.html

Is this one good for the price? Think I'll buy this one then

How do we read this in English?

NVM figured it out. I think this is a good price, not the best considering the RAM and the graphics mb, but the graphics card is very good as that is the one I have on my ASUS ROG laptop.  I would get windows 7 if possible, as there are still bugs with windows 8 and everyone that I know has had it converted back to 7.  I guess the worry here is, will this provide enough storage (which we have answered as yes and you can always add on) and the design is slim.  Will you treat your computer better?  With a slim design is more likely to break from a fall or punch.  However an added benefit to the slim design is the weight, so if you are carrying this around with you (work, school, etc) then this will be a good fit. 

I did not see if there was a backlight to the screen and keyboard. Isn't this something that you prefer.  And it has a touchpad, which I hope has a fast and simple way to turn off.  Mine is a trackpad alongside it and there is a button up top that I hit to turn off the touchpad and trackpad.  I would always go prone in game and its because my other hand was on the trackpad while I was using a mouse and they were fighting to reign supreme.  Unfortunately there are no closeups of the parts so I cannot see.  If it has this option for the touchpad, that would be amazing.

Edited by Midnight

Hahaha, posted just dutch site because rolf replied to my topic mostly

NVM figured it out. I think this is a good price, not the best considering the RAM and the graphics mb, but the graphics card is very good as that is the one I have on my ASUS ROG laptop.  I would get windows 7 if possible, as there are still bugs with windows 8 and everyone that I know has had it converted back to 7.  I guess the worry here is, will this provide enough storage (which we have answered as yes and you can always add on) and the design is slim.  Will you treat your computer better?  With a slim design is more likely to break from a fall or punch.  However an added benefit to the slim design is the weight, so if you are carrying this around with you (work, school, etc) then this will be a good fit. 

Not possible to just order it with windows 7, I'll just use windows 8 and see what it's like. I've also heard good things about it, so guess I'll see. Else I'll just go back to windows 7. And I won't be moving my laptop, only way it can break is if my mom decides to punch it again lol

I did not see if there was a backlight to the screen and keyboard. Isn't this something that you prefer.  And it has a touchpad, which I hope has a fast and simple way to turn off.  Mine is a trackpad alongside it and there is a button up top that I hit to turn off the touchpad and trackpad.  I would always go prone in game and its because my other hand was on the trackpad while I was using a mouse and they were fighting to reign supreme.  Unfortunately there are no closeups of the parts so I cannot see.  If it has this option for the touchpad, that would be amazing.

Don't really mind the lights to be honest, can still type well and all without it because my old laptop doesn't have that either. Just hope the keyboard will type nicely.  Mmh and I guess I'll see about the touchpad. I never use the touchpad on both laptops, also never have any problems with clicking on it by accident or something.

Thanks for ur comment :) Did made me think about more things, but aslong as it runs better than my M11x I think I'm fine with it. I guess it should, because all the specs are better.

Since it's Dutch, I guess I should reply :P

I can't find something really wrong with it. Which is probably one of the best advices I have given to such a laptop in a while. Good price, good specs, and since you don't move it the lack of build quality (something _very_ important to me) won't be a problem for you. If possible, test the keyboard somewhere because that may be something you want to know upfront.

Other than that, seems like a good laptop.

Hahaha, posted just dutch site because rolf replied to my topic mostly

Not possible to just order it with windows 7, I'll just use windows 8 and see what it's like. I've also heard good things about it, so guess I'll see. Else I'll just go back to windows 7. And I won't be moving my laptop, only way it can break is if my mom decides to punch it again lol

Don't really mind the lights to be honest, can still type well and all without it because my old laptop doesn't have that either. Just hope the keyboard will type nicely.  Mmh and I guess I'll see about the touchpad. I never use the touchpad on both laptops, also never have any problems with clicking on it by accident or something.

Thanks for ur comment :) Did made me think about more things, but aslong as it runs better than my M11x I think I'm fine with it. I guess it should, because all the specs are better.

That's because rolf know more about computers and the works then I do, so my comments would be useless.  I'm more of a design person, so that's what I can comment on.

^^ scrolling down gives the extended specifications. Although i5/6GB/750GB/660M2GB/15"FullHD says sufficient on the word of specs, unless you have very specific requirements (DisplayPort etc).

I would get a laptop that can run games at its native screen resolution....but that's just me. A 660M is not going to run a lot at 1080p. I do not think even a 775 or 760M would do much better at 1080p, a 15.6 or lower is fine at 1600x900 but if you do design and movies a lot then a 1080p would be better for that.

^^ True. But Alex only(mainly) plays old games, which should work well on a 660M.

Personally I'd prefer 1920x over 1600x, although that is non-gaming related. For the moments my laptop doesn't get to 1920x, I just play at 1600x-ish and disable scaling.

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on how much you want to spend. There are several companies that produce gaming-spec laptops - one of the more famous ones is made by Alienware.

Here are some:

1. Alienware (e.g. MX14/17)

2. Asus (e.g. G55/75VW)

3. Lenovo (T430/530)

3. MSI (e.g. GT70)

4. Razer (e.g. Razer Blade)

5. Toshiba (Qosmio, P840/850/870)

The thing is, laptops one or two levels below these (i.e. multimedia ones) have very similar specs (i.e. CPU, GPU, RAM) so you end up paying extra for better ventilation system, material quality and few slight improvements in specs such as SSD HDD or GTX GPU rather than GT.

I got a 2yo Asus N53SV and it is able to run CoD:MW3 well at mid settings in conjunction with a 'Coolermaster NotePal U3' cooling pad.

It is really up to you, but, if money is no object then IMO go for the MSI-GT70 or AsusG75VW - Alienware is overpriced and the others are less known. Just my 2c.

Edited by Death_Reincarnated

3. Lenovo (T430/530)

The Lenovo T-series are most similar to the original Thinkpads. Those are not meant for gaming.

The Lenovo T-series are most similar to the original Thinkpads. Those are not meant for gaming.

They are high performance laptops and this is taken from the AUS Lenovo website - http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/

The ones in US are Y-series - http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landing_pages/ideapad/gaming-pcs - and you actually do get gaming laptops there.

I am from AUS and the brand series can differ slightly between county. Worse, it is hard to get a global comparison since you tend to get redirected to AUS websites - that is AUSTRALIA and not AUSTRIA.