Need a new gaming laptop

Wifestein

EPP: Before configuring change "&cs=nldhs1" in the url to "&cs=nlepp1".

In performance difference, there is not really a comparision. The CPU won't be the bottleneck (anymore). And the GPU, although it is not really a comparision, is roughly twice as fast. But since it is a newer version, up to three times might be possible to achieve in-game. In theory it is a lot faster, in practice it is still a laptop you're gaming on. Don't expect magic, but it'll be fast enough :)

And everyone is able to handle a screwdriver :P

Alright, I'll try the EPP thingy.

Ah, aslong as I can play all the games I have on it I'm fine with it. Doubt I'll buy any new games. Always a waste of money, because W:ET and CoD4 stay better heh :) And lately I only play League of Legends

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about ASUS. is that a good gaming laptop?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2355975&CatId=4935#

This is the new laptop that I bought last year.  It doesn't have all the fancy colors and cost me 1300 USD.  Having played with it thus far here are the pros and cons:

Pros:

Lightweight (relative to its size)

Great speakers

Awesome graphics card

Keys are bounded (nothing gets under them)

Stays relatively cool (have an awesome cooling pad though that lights up blue)

Large screen

Personal like: I like the numberpad on the side

Cons:

Trackpad is sensitive (turn off in game if using mouse)

Hard to find a computer bag that fits it

Box on charger gets really hot

Comes with split drive (C & D): C automativally fills up fast so make sure you install things to D as well or get an external drive.

My computer has frozen twice and sometimes can be slow to respond if there is a lot going on.  Other then that it is a stable computer and I have really enjoyed it.  The gaming is much better and is easier to see. 

^^ The G75VW (used to) cost 1500E in the Netherlands. Also, alex stated that she wanted a "small" laptop, 17" is not small ;) The 660M is indeed better than the 650M in the M14x, but it is the additional ~400E not really worth.

Also I personally have terrible experience with Asus, but I guess the G*-series should be a lot better than the ones I touched :P

BTW, really, format your hard disk yourself always. It's not that hard to reinstall Windows but it reduces the amount of bullshit default installed slowing down the pc.

Edited by rolf

BTW, really, format your hard disk yourself always. It's not that hard to reinstall Windows but it reduces the amount of bullshit default installed slowing down the pc.

I should do that? If yes, how? haha, pssst, easier to explain in Dutch

Anyways, do you think the 7% discount still works with the -100€ and the other 5% discount? Because some don't stack up or something

^^ Those stack up perfectly as far as I know. But as I said, I have no experience with the shopkorting / 7% off.

And I always reinstall the laptop, one way or another, in about a year you probably want to do it anyway, better practice early :P

^^ The G75VW (used to) cost 1500E in the Netherlands. Also, alex stated that she wanted a "small" laptop, 17" is not small ;) The 660M is indeed better than the 650M in the M14x, but it is the additional ~400E not really worth.

Also I personally have terrible experience with Asus, but I guess the G*-series should be a lot better than the ones I touched :P

I know... I was just giving my opinion.  I have a small laptop as well, but the issues I have with small laptops is memory, and the lack of. 

I know... I was just giving my opinion.  I have a small laptop as well, but the issues I have with small laptops is memory, and the lack of. 

Well, at least you gave a gaming laptop as pointer, I've seen worse hints in the history of internet ;)

For current small laptops, 4GB is the minimum. Although I think that's not enough, for the average user (including gamer) that is sufficient, although an upgrade to 8GB is better to be future-proof. It's just a shame that upgrading is not always possible anymore.

Well, at least you gave a gaming laptop as pointer, I've seen worse hints in the history of internet ;)

For current small laptops, 4GB is the minimum. Although I think that's not enough, for the average user (including gamer) that is sufficient, although an upgrade to 8GB is better to be future-proof. It's just a shame that upgrading is not always possible anymore.

Well I had lots of help as evidenced in the previous thread.  My best bet for Alex is to stick to what she knows and likes est.  I like alienware as well, but didn't feel like paying the price.  Ultimately my parents helped me foot the bill (which I'm still paying back). And go with Windows 7.  Windows 8 is a pain and I hear that it has many bugs still.

what about ASUS. is that a good gaming laptop?

IF you're thinking about ASUS stuff ... you NEED to get their ROG line ... and shy away from their basic line ...

it's the difference between say buying a Lexus LS B) , and a Toyota Corolla :wacko:

http://rog.asus.com/

http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vx/

G55_Left_Open135_Top_01.JPG

============

The ASUS ROG stuff is some of the BEST Top of the LINE Computers and Components on the market, I have a few Asus ROG items in my Desktop RIG and LOVE the stuff :wub:

Edited by LA_Kings_Fan

The 5% EPP will "always" work. I have no idea whether there'll be a new voucher soon, but usually it doesn't take that long. My guess would be a month, but I don't have that many experience with vouchers (I usually call :P)

Edited by rolf

Kicking the topic; but just so you know, there is now a new Alienware M14x. A bit more expensive (1250E and on), and I don't know the graphicscard exactly (yet), but for the default 750M my guess is roughtly 20% faster (since it has now ~20% GFLOPS more) and similarly the 765M (200E more) another 50% more (twice the shaders, slightly lower bandwidth hence the shades cannot be fully used. Exact performance on GFLOPS yet unknown).

Note that those are really rough estimates, but could be worth looking in to :)

Kicking the topic; but just so you know, there is now a new Alienware M14x. A bit more expensive (1250E and on), and I don't know the graphicscard exactly (yet), but for the default 750M my guess is roughtly 20% faster (since it has now ~20% GFLOPS more) and similarly the 765M (200E more) another 50% more (twice the shaders, slightly lower bandwidth hence the shades cannot be fully used. Exact performance on GFLOPS yet unknown).

Note that those are really rough estimates, but could be worth looking in to :)

Just looked the new one up, it doesn't look as sexy as the old one. New one isn't black and looks even more manly!

I'll just buy the older one, aslong as it's as fast as the one I have now or a bit faster I'm fine with it. Also because of the newer version the one I want to buy is like 100 euro cheaper now, they changed the specs on the "normal" one to buy without adding anything else to it. So that's a great thing haha, I'll order it in the weekend. Says shipping date is 4th of July though, grrrr.