Voters approve I-502 legalizing marijuana Washington state voters made history Tuesday by legalizing the recreational use of marijuana.

Waster

Washington enthusiastically leapt into history Tuesday, becoming the first state, with Colorado, to reject federal drug-control policy and legalize recreational marijuana use.

Initiative 502 was winning 55 to 45 percent, with support from more than half of Washington's counties, rural and urban.

The vote puts Washington and Colorado to the left of the Netherlands on marijuana law, and makes them the nexus of a new social experiment with uncertain consequences. National and international media watched as vote counts rolled into I-502's election-night party in Seattle amid jubilant cheers.

"I'm going to go ahead and give my victory speech right now. After this I can go sit down and stop shaking," said Alison Holcomb, I-502's campaign manager and primary architect.

"Today the state of Washington looked at 75 years of national marijuana prohibition and said it is time for a new approach," she said.

Full Story

• Like 2

Don't forget that Colorado did it first :) Results came in before Washington...

Hopefully this takes the money out of the cartels pockets and puts it into schools (which is how it was voted in colorado)

I'm not sure if it will or not. I'm suspecting that with the taxing etc that will be done with it (here in WA), if the price per 1/8 oz is equal or lower than the street cost was, the street cost will probably drop in order to keep their buyers. I'm just worried about quality. Would much prefer to grow my own so I know what goes into it.

Allow this shit is a mistake...governments have still difficulties to regulate alcohol and tobacco, and they allow an other harmful substance? Because yes, cannabis is harmful.

Its effects on the health are numerous, I won't quote them all. Also, the list of the dangers from this substance is still growing according to researches from widespread scientists.

You probably know what a join is, well, 3 joints = 1 pack of cigarettes.

Also, cannabis disturbs the growth of the brain and the brain itself, increases cancer of testicles risk (2 times). It can also cause schizophrenia, but as I said, this shit is really unhealthy and it has other known harmful effects. Ofc it's a 'soft' drug, ie physical dependency isn't possible, but mental one is.

Cannabis would be controlled on the market? That's theoretically right, but it won't delete drugs cartel etc, cannabis is not the only drug. Legalize it will increase the consumption of cannabis in the population, and when people will realize that cannabis is good, some of them (especially the addicted ones) will want to try something harder, and illegal, and guess who can provide them that? Drug cartels.

Yeah, it would be great to spend more money for education...but they chose an 'easy' and wrong way to get this money. All they'll get is a degradation of the health in the population, retarded children (see above, cannabis + brain = brain damaged...especially with children. Ironic, isn't it? Spend more money to educate children who are brain damaged by cannabis? Lol)

Money could be used better to fight this drug, but that's not bad. Also, they could use it to regulate better the consumption of alcohol and tobacco.

Hope they will quickly realize the harmful effects and forbid again, few chances :)

If they turn around the vote and outlaw it based on harmful effects, then that could open up a can of worms/arguments on a lot of other things. OTC pain killers are harmful to the body, caffeine can kill, and that could even have people try to bring back prohibition and outlaw tobacco.

Personally, I say if people want to smoke it, they can't complain about possible side effects. If they don't want to take a chance on those side effects, don't touch the stuff, even if it becomes legal.

If they turn around the vote and outlaw it based on harmful effects, then that could open up a can of worms/arguments on a lot of other things. OTC pain killers are harmful to the body, caffeine can kill, and that could even have people try to bring back prohibition and outlaw tobacco.

Personally, I say if people want to smoke it, they can't complain about possible side effects. If they don't want to take a chance on those side effects, don't touch the stuff, even if it becomes legal.

Tobacco should be forbidden according to his harmful effects, but it's all about the money. And don't touch the stuff, theoretically it's easy, now everyone (or almost) wants to try it, addiction can quickly follows :)

And, no, caffeine doesn't kill, unless you really really abused of it, it makes people killed by caffeine pretty rare...

• Like 1

Alcohol is both more addictive and harmful, both in a physical and mental health. Also more people die using alcohol than marijuana (since you can't overdose on marijuana). Studies and experience also show that legalizing or not enforcing marijuana laws show reduced numbers of smokers over all. Lots of kids want to try it since its a no no and a way to revolt against their parents. Tell someone no and see what happens, often they want to do the no no just to do what they are told is wrong.

The prisons are full of low level offenders. The prison and court systems are overwhelmed and costly from prosecuting these low level offenders. It has gotten out of hand and WAY to expensive to support.

Personally I don't drink, I dislike being out of control and not being able to remember what I did after drinking nor do I like the next day. The most that can happen with marijuana is that you go to sleep. I also like that it takes away the chronic pain from abusing my body when I was younger (heavy manual labor from various construction type jobs) Much better than pills which you always need more and more to continue the pain control.

All said marijuana is a much better choice overall for me.

• Like 1

Alcohol is both more addictive and harmful, both in a physical and mental health. Also more people die using alcohol than marijuana (since you can't overdose on marijuana). Studies and experience also show that legalizing or not enforcing marijuana laws show reduced numbers of smokers over all. Lots of kids want to try it since its a no no and a way to revolt against their parents. Tell someone no and see what happens, often they want to do the no no just to do what they are told is wrong.

The prisons are full of low level offenders. The prison and court systems are overwhelmed and costly from prosecuting these low level offenders. It has gotten out of hand and WAY to expensive to support.

Personally I don't drink, I dislike being out of control and not being able to remember what I did after drinking nor do I like the next day. The most that can happen with marijuana is that you go to sleep. I also like that it takes away the chronic pain from abusing my body when I was younger (heavy manual labor from various construction type jobs) Much better than pills which you always need more and more to continue the pain control.

All said marijuana is a much better choice overall for me.

what happens when I smoke (which happens when I ran out of painkillers and/or am on GRASpop :P)

If I drink I sober up in an hour and never got hang overs or memory loss.

Good :) About time the US government did something good like this.

The US government hasn't changed their position on marijuana. This is a state law, However it is the first step to getting the government to change their position on marijuana laws.

When enough states pass this law the government will have to reconsider their position on the federal law. It is how the ban on alcohol was lifted back in the 1920-30's.

The US government hasn't changed their position on marijuana. This is a state law, However it is the first step to getting the government to change their position on marijuana laws.

When enough states pass this law the government will have to reconsider their position on the federal law. It is how the ban on alcohol was lifted back in the 1920-30's.

To me, it's the same shit.it's a trickle down effect. Starts here, and will soon spread. ^_^

There's no reason for Marijuana to still be criminalized when there are so much worse things made legal.