Voters approve I-502 legalizing marijuana Washington state voters made history Tuesday by legalizing the recreational use of marijuana.

Waster

Tobacco should be forbidden according to his harmful effects.

Is it not that person's choice to smoke or not? I don't see how the gov't has any reason to tell people what they can and can not do UNLESS it will negatively effect someone else. Same with eating too much at mcdonalds, it is horrible for that person, but its their choice to do that.

• Like 1

Is it not that person's choice to smoke or not? I don't see how the gov't has any reason to tell people what they can and can not do UNLESS it will negatively effect someone else. Same with eating too much at mcdonalds, it is horrible for that person, but its their choice to do that.

Well, a government who doesn't care about its population isn't a good government....and a country which still contains obesity problems, alcohol and tobacco problems souldn't be ruined by another shit which damages/destroys health and makes children more stupid than they basically are. Fortunately it's only in few states, imo USA is a liberal country, maybe too liberal.

Well, a government who doesn't care about its population isn't a good government....and a country which still contains obesity problems, alcohol and tobacco problems souldn't be ruined by another shit which damages/destroys health and makes children more stupid than they basically are. Fortunately it's only in few states, imo USA is a liberal country, maybe too liberal.

A government that forbid everything is also not a good government. Smoking and drinking alcohol and whatever should be a own choice.

In public places, well that's another story. Then it depends if it harms/endangers other people.

Also they health insurance could be reduced when you smoke and stuff for everything directly related to it. Because well you 'messed' up your own body.

Eating to much junk food and smoking tobacco will both affect most people negatively as the results (obesity/lung cancer) will increase the premiums everyone has to pay due to the cost of treatment and/or borrowing MRIs from zoos as they can't fit their patients into human sized equipment. Same goes with alcohol and car insurances. Many of ones actions do have an effect on other peoples lives without noticing it.

But going back to the topic, from what I have read marijuana has lesser negative effects (Mostly on kids till the age of 16, if I remember correctly) than the already established legal drugs and there are studies that indicate that cannabis has positive effects on cancer patients (mainly reducing the after-effect of the chemotherapy) and people suffering from schizophrenia.

Yep. Let's let the all mighty government control our choices. Let's let the government tell us what we can and can't do. Just because they, you know, care. Screw freedom of expression. Screw free will. The government should tell us what we can put into our bodies and what we can't. Yeah?

Really?!?!

No words. No words at all.

• Like 2

Yep. Let's let the all mighty government control our choices. Let's let the government tell us what we can and can't do. Just because they, you know, care. Screw freedom of expression. Screw free will. The government should tell us what we can put into our bodies and what we can't. Yeah?

Really?!?!

No words. No words at all.

A government that forbid everything is also not a good government. Smoking and drinking alcohol and whatever should be a own choice.

In public places, well that's another story. Then it depends if it harms/endangers other people.

Also they health insurance could be reduced when you smoke and stuff for everything directly related to it. Because well you 'messed' up your own body.

Government still allows alcohol and tobacco, why allows an other harmful shit? Government must not decide what citizens have to do, at least not everything, but government must not damages/destroys a population's health, especially in USA which already suffer of obesity, alcohol and tobacco. And excuse me, but an adult who abuses of alcohol/drugs/tobacco knowing it's harmful for him isn't responsible, and some people (too many) are like that.

btw governmment tell you what you can and what you can't do...we call that 'laws'

Eating to much junk food and smoking tobacco will both affect most people negatively as the results (obesity/lung cancer) will increase the premiums everyone has to pay due to the cost of treatment and/or borrowing MRIs from zoos as they can't fit their patients into human sized equipment. Same goes with alcohol and car insurances. Many of ones actions do have an effect on other peoples lives without noticing it.

That's a very indirect result. Personally, I don't want the government telling me what to do and what I can not do. Small gov't for the win!

And excuse me, but an adult who abuses of alcohol/drugs/tobacco knowing it's harmful for him isn't responsible.

I disagree with that. Many smart, successful, etc people smoke. So saying that if someone smokes, they are not responsible, doesn't make sense.

Edited by ajnl

And excuse me, but an adult who abuses of alcohol/drugs/tobacco knowing it's harmful for him isn't responsible.

I disagree with that. Many smart, successful, etc people smoke. So saying that if someone smokes, they are not responsible, doesn't make sense.

EDIT:

sry didn't mean to double post

Edited by ajnl

btw governmment tell you what you can and what you can't do...we call that 'laws'

True, and with many laws I disagree (too bad I can do shit about it). Unfortunately their is a need for them. Which doesn't mean the gov have to make laws for blooding everything.

I can see (till a certain degree) that their is some regulation at public places. But else, people have to decide for themself if they want to smoke , drink, eat junkfood everyday...

It's just retarded to let the government control that ...

ps. I'm a non-smoker, I do drink without ever going complete wasted, I know my limit perfectly (but not that often atm because of meds) and I smoke weed about 0-2 times a year.

Three times now I've had to rewrite this so I don't come off as too harsh. -.-

First of all Kat0n... do you even educate yourself in these matters? Do any form of research whatsoever?

Let me start off by pointing out your little media sensation of 3 Joints = 1 pack of smokes.

False. It's a myth that has been spread around since the 80's.

Marijuana causes cancer; e.g., one joint equals a whole pack of cigarettes

Many school programs today teach that cannabis users are at a much higher risk of getting lung cancer or other diseases than tobacco cigarette smokers. While unburned cannabis or THC is not a known carcinogen, it is true that cannabis smoke, like any smoke, contains carcinogens. However, the largest study of its kind by the University of California - Los Angeles found that people who smoke marijuana are no more likely to develop lung cancer or head and neck cancers than non-smokers.[67][68] In fact, some studies have shown that marijuana may actually reduce the risk of some cancers by as much as 61%.[69] Part of this misconception may stem from people who smoke both tobacco and marijuana contracting lung cancer from tobacco use, then blaming it on their cannabis use rather than the tobacco. Also, in many countries (outside of the US and small areas in Canada), tobacco and cannabis are commonly mixed together in joints, making it very difficult to disentangle the effects of each. There is also a study by the Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology showing there is an anti cancerous effect with the introduction of cannabinoids with lungs cancer cells. In this study performed on mice and human lung cancer cells which showed an anti-metastasis effect on the cancerous cells [70]

Related to this is the idea that one joint equals 10, 20, or even more tobacco cigarettes in terms of cancer risk, lung damage, and/or various toxins. This is based on a few studies that used small sample sizes and/or looked at one specific lung area. However, this is highly misleading due to differences in chemical constituents, additives, weight, smoking style (such as breath-holding), smoking frequency, and cumulative quantity. Also, some constituents (such as ammonia and PAHs) are somewhat greater in cannabis smoke, except for tobacco-specific nitrosamines which are exclusive to tobacco.[71][72] Smoke from tobacco and cannabis share many of the same carcinogens, however the THC found in cannabis smoke should offer protection against these carcinogens, while the nicotine in tobacco smoke potentially increases the effect of the carcinogens.[73]

In addition, while prolonged heavy use of cannabis may lead to bronchitis and similar respiratory complaints, there is little evidence (aside from a few anecdotes) that cannabis alone can cause emphysema, a degenerative lung disease typically linked to tobacco smoking.[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_misconceptions_about_illegal_drugs

You're welcome.

Next thing- Laws. Not all are good, nor are all necessary. Many are put in place through STUPIDITY or MISINFORMATION. I do not allow every law to affect me. In fact, I probably tend to break many, while minding those that are severe; Not based on legality, but on morality. For example- I don't steal from people... not because I'll go to jail, but because I'm not a total b***. It's called respect.

Who are you to say that just because someone does something they know isn't good.. isn't responsible?...

Okay. Sooo do you hunt for your own food? Grow your own crops without pesticides? Do you make your own clothing? Do you walk everywhere and not drive? Do you clean your house with just hot water and soap? I could go on.

Because honestly... if you don't, you're kind of a hypocrite. Do you know how much crap you consume isn't healthy for you? Do you know how unhealthy for the planet many of these things you use on a daily basis are? Think about all the chemicals it takes to make clothing? How many studies have shown that there are toxic chemicals in some of the biggest brand names out there? What about people that drive vehicles? Lots of pollution there, that's bad. How about cleaning your house? Those chemicals over time create indoor air pollution.

. Maybe the government should outlaw all of this stuff. We can go back to simple times where things were 'healthier' for everyone. We'll eat the same crap in every household, but we'll be better for it.

My point is, there are a lot of bad things out there.. It's not up to you, nor our governments to say if it's safe or not for us. We can all make our own decisions presented with the pros and cons out there. What I choose to do with my life, what I put onto or into MY body, is not your concern. Today's generation is already dumber (thanks television!), so I doubt legalized pot is going to even effect that in the slightest.

There are even super intelligent people whom have used pot in their lifetime. Perhaps, once more, you should use google and do a little research. :)

Also... may I point out, that America isn't the only place that 'suffers' from these problems?... Many countries have problems with obesity, alcohol and tobacco. Then again, who cares? It's an individual's choice as to what they put into their own body. Regardless if the government says they can or can not... They will do it anyway.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to pick on you, but I'm just tired of this misinformed nonsense. I don't even smoke pot or cigarettes and I still managed to educate myself. As it stands, legalization is a proper thing to do.

1: Helps to potentially lower crime rate.

2: Provides a safer alternative to obtaining the drug. (Less chance for laced drugs, or dealing with dangerous dealers)

3: More money for the government, which they could use for better purposes.

4: Less people in jail for minor offenses- which means less money wasted

I could go on, but I won't. This argument is tiring and it's beginning to give me a headache. -.-

Yeah, I live in WA, so this is pretty screwed up. All I can say, watch out as the roads will be far more dangerous.

I don't think driving under the influence is allowed ;)

Moderation, all things in moderation. Smoking some ganga now and then will never cause any harm. But if taken to extreme , everything and anything can be deadly and harmful. Marijana being criminalized is foolish, wasteful, and a violation of our rights. Most of the ill effects are caused by smoking it, simply because its smoke, and generally unfiltered. You can eat it and cut harmful effects in half. And, like has been said above, anmost anything in our lives can be dangerous and harmful, but that doesn't mean the government should make the decision for us. Going fishing is dangerous, driving a car is dangerous, etc. etc. etc.

I'm glad this first step has been made, and I hope it continues. I haven't smoked the sweet leaf in many years though, and most likely would dabble at the most if fully legalized. I smoked my share up hard when I was younger, if I did it now, I'd probly take a nap, (DANGER! DANGER!) -_- , have nice dreams, and wake up really relaxed and refreshed. :lol:

Eh. It really only has harmful effects to tell the truth, and the fact that they are legalizing it simply for more tax revenue bothers me severely - more people are only going to get into it, and get the same level of addiction that other people have. Those people will do almost anything to get marijuana - I'm sure you could convince someone to try to stand through the sunroof of a car while it's going or something stupid like that.

• Like 1