Recent book you've read

BunnyBabe

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

RIP Bourdain. I've read this many times. A must read for any Cook and Chef alike. Inspiring as hell. 

Kitchen Confidential - Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain

kitchen-confidential-anthony-bourdain_1_44ca1850dfeda54cb089a1b5195a2be9.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Of Mice and Men (Penguin Red Classics): Amazon.de: Steinbeck, Mr John:  Fremdsprachige Bücher

A reread after 10 years. I was in high school then but still remember how the ending hit me. Now, I'm more impressed with the inevitable turn of events and unforgivingly forward-moving plot; the detailed setting descriptions; the characters and their (unsuccessful) struggle for something better; the on-point dialogue; and the sobering narration putting all of it together. It's not a long or really complex story, but it's masterfully crafted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

91LvoDqkF1L.jpg

I believe this is a title most US people are familiar with. What strikes me as the most impressive is how the author manages to characterise a 16 year old so believably. You learn a lot about Holden Caulfield by the way he talks, the way he does things, and, maybe most importantly, the things he doesn't say or do. Regardless of whether you see him as an insufferable human being or not, he feels very real. 

• Like 1
  • 100 1

• 5 months later...

M00140623582-large.jpg

My first Dickens. Took me quite a while to read through it, but it was totally worth it. Masterfully crafted historical novel of grand scale. Intricate descriptions put you right into the scenes, building the atmosphere and making you relive the events to an extent. Amazing foreshadowing and simply a great story that wraps up nicely in the end.

• Like 4

image.png.f6954611686cc76d8d59161344db7892.png

Great little story about the happenings in a fictional small Alabaman town in the 1930s, told from the perspective of two prepubescent children, Scout and Jem, as they grow up a little. 

I found it presented me with an interesting and entertaining perspective on familiar topics. A certain plot point captivated me for the 100 or so pages it lasted - you know a book is for you when it manages to glue you to its pages and refuses to let you go. 

I love Scout. And Atticus. And I'm glad that there's another book about Scout in her twenties. You bet it's at the top of the list of the next books I want to read. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

image.png.f6954611686cc76d8d59161344db7892.png

Great little story about the happenings in a fictional small Alabaman town in the 1930s, told from the perspective of two prepubescent children, Scout and Jem, as they grow up a little. 

I found it presented me with an interesting and entertaining perspective on familiar topics. A certain plot point captivated me for the 100 or so pages it lasted - you know a book is for you when it manages to glue you to its pages and refuses to let you go. 

I love Scout. And Atticus. And I'm glad that there's another book about Scout in her twenties. You bet it's at the top of the list of the next books I want to read. 

Nice, I remember that being required reading back in 8th grade here in the USA. 

• Haha 1