I am torn between buying 2 computers and am not familiar with a few things....suggestions?

=Death Hunter=

It's not hard. Just order what we tell you to and start building. The only instructions that you will want to read are the instructions for the motherboard. It is good info to know and will tell you have to connect everything. If I have time after work I'll look for a good building guide. If you can afford the 2600-k i7 its a beast. If you were building a $3000 PC you would still want that processor. It becomes less impressive if you are restricted by a motherboard that cannot overclock. Most new motherboards will give you a pretty significant auto-overclock with the built in bios settings. I know ASUS has this feature.

Look at these pics for what you can get: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?36988-Air-Cooled-Gallery/page291 :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Building a PC isn't that hard. Actually, it's very easy these days. A 386 could be inserted in a wrong way (been there done that). The motherboard and CPU are the hardest part. First connect the CPU to the motherboard (one possibility), put a cooler on it (often multiple possibilities, all are correct) and then (with distance-holder-screws), screw the set into the case (without distance-holder-screws, short-circuit). For the rest, these days you can pretty much connect everything in only one way (and it is very well described), and if it isn't connected your computer-parts aren't blown to pieces.

The only problem is when a DOA (Dead On Arrival) occurs, without a lot of experience or spare hardware, finding the bad hardware is hard.

As I said earlier, if you're budget is 750$, the i7 2600K is probably too much of the budget if you want a decent GPU in it too. Anyway, we can help you combine a nice set of hardware if you like, let us know :)

Are there any topics here on the forums I can do research on that would give me a quick run through of how the system works? Thanks you guys. Very informative!!!

All you need to know ...

IF you're going to continue down the path of trying to build your own system and want some basic fundamentals on doing so I suggest finding a copy of this Mag, came out Spring 2011, so you should still be able to find one somewhere ... anyways it has helped me get the basics of a build down ... though I'm still working on the fine details of software across multiple SSD/HDD's :)

$(KGrHqF,!mEE2D8Cu7CEBNv2TZKrOQ~~_3.JPG

Also something that has helped me ... go to NewEgg TV on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/newegg#p/u/3/d_56kyib-Ls , and start watching some of their video's. They do a nice job of keeping it simple for us non tech geeks, and I have found them to be informative and helpful during my first build here, but the Guys on this thread {http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/1004219-asus-maximus-iv-gene-z-owners.html} are my single best source of education.

Another good site/board to read through and get some info from is over at http://www.asusrog.com/forums/ ... it's watched over by some of the Asus staff, so you really get the low down from the Manufacturer on how to best get/keep your system running. And there's a good step by step post about building your Rig you should maybe review ... http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2217-HOW-TO-GUIDE-Building-an-ROG-PC

Hope this helps a bit

best of luck

Your OTHER option ... IF you're willing to consider taking a risk on a NewEgg "OPEN BOX" pc (NewEgg is very good about returns should it not be 100% in tact, functional, and what you want) ... then you can get more bang for your budget with one of these ... the downside they often go fast and you have to keep checking back, as there can also be other system, and or components in the "Open Box" section that can be had for sometimes amazing deals, like right now I got what was once a $550 video card for $220.00, but like I said these can go FAST, like within seconds of being listed sometimes so have fast fingers ;)

CyberpowerPC "Gamer Xtreme 1319" Desktop PC = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229271R = $ 838.99

{Intel Core i7 2600K, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB SATA3 HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB Vid Card, Blu-Ray combo drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit}

/or

iBUYPOWER "Gamer Supreme" 957SLC Desktop PC = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227285R = $ 832.99

{Intel Core i7 950, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 1.5TB SATA2 HDD, Blu-Ray combo drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit}

Death, building a PC is really pretty simple man. It's basically like putting together a clunky puzzle. As long as your system specs match up (PSU output > CPU+GFX+Mobo+Fan energy requirements) and your case is big enough then you'll be fine.

I think one of the primary issues people have are either DOA motherboards or DOA RAM, which I'm convinced half the time is RAM which they shorted due to ESD (Electro Static Discharge for whoever doesn't know). Either way Newegg is a great place to buy from, and if you do your homework you'll end up with a sweet comp that hopefully won't hurt the pocketbook to much.

Good luck on your build.

Death Hunter

i like the sound of the first one but i've not heard of lenovo used as a gaming computer lol. i've heard it used more for business

however the intel i7 and the video card are not bad.. along with the 8gb ram was it?

i prefer intel over AMD

or if you want gaming, i heard good results about Alienware laptops/computers for gaming/programming if you want to look into that.

buying new laptop is not something i would rush lol.

good luck

>>>you really got some responses, I use the Phenom II X6 with 8g of ram and a ati radeon hd5700 graphics card

and I built a i7 machine for my good friend... They are both good imo.

As far as upgrading later I have learned not to worry too much about that cause its always something

new and better and when it comes along you might as well just build another one. I know $750 sounds like

alot of money but for what you get its cheap.

I am happy to see you have this project in front of you, calm down (hehehe) and enjoy it and I suggest

building it yourself... last note you might check with tigerdirect.com for bare bone kits or refurbished machines.

After thought... one of my friends spent several hundreds of dollars extra to get a dual core machine about 6 years ago..

now it will accept windows 7 but has other limitations, seems it would have been better to save that extra $$ for the next

system. I am just saying.....

Edited by JohnWayne

>>>you really got some responses, I use the Phenom II X6 with 8g of ram and a ati radeon hd5700 graphics card

and I built a i7 machine for my good friend... They are both good imo.

As far as upgrading later I have learned not to worry too much about that cause its always something

new and better and when it comes along you might as well just build another one. I know $750 sounds like

alot of money but for what you get its cheap.

I am happy to see you have this project in front of you, calm down (hehehe) and enjoy it and I suggest

building it yourself... last note you might check with tigerdirect.com for bare bone kits or refurbished machines.

After thought... one of my friends spent several hundreds of dollars extra to get a dual core machine about 6 years ago..

now it will accept windows 7 but has other limitations, seems it would have been better to save that extra $$ for the next

system. I am just saying.....

Tigerdirect.com is a good place to go. i dont think that site charges any additional fee besides cost and tax. so free delivery i believe but i could be wrong. or you can try newegg.com which i consider another good site

Death Hunter

or if you want gaming, i heard good results about Alienware laptops/computers for gaming/programming if you want to look into that.

STOP! right there is your mistake. Alienware pcs/laptops are made by Dell. Why is this bad? Because Dell is not that great, and dells are overpriced!

And to everybody talking cpus....when you buy a cpu you deff want a OCable one, or an unlocked processor. The intel i5 2500k, sure it looks like a lot less, but its really all you need. you just need to know a good OCer or OC yourself. When i buy my i5 2500k, my friend is going to OC it for me. and he says he can get it to 4.7GHz with only a little bit of work.

Also, if you're OCing, you absolutely need a aftermarket fan, or watercooling.

The intel i5 2500k, sure it looks like a lot less, but its really all you need. you just need to know a good OCer or OC yourself. When i buy my i5 2500k, my friend is going to OC it for me. and he says he can get it to 4.7GHz with only a little bit of work.

Yep ... I got the i7 2600K and I'm new to OC'ing but with the Asus MoBo I got I just hit the AUTO OC button and I was off to the races at 4.8 GHz without even knowing what I was doing, and yeah INVEST in a GOOD CPU Cooler, frankly even if you don't Over Clock, heat & Dust are your computers worst enemy ... keeping things cool will help prolong the lifespan of your equipment, and don't forget to open the case every so often and blast some air in there to get the dust build-up off. :geek: crap now I sound like a geek.

Yep ... I got the i7 2600K and I'm new to OC'ing but with the Asus MoBo I got I just hit the AUTO OC button and I was off to the races at 4.8 GHz without even knowing what I was doing, and yeah INVEST in a GOOD CPU Cooler, frankly even if you don't Over Clock, heat & Dust are your computers worst enemy ... keeping things cool will help prolong the lifespan of your equipment, and don't forget to open the case every so often and blast some air in there to get the dust build-up off. :geek: crap now I sound like a geek.

you know more than i. I want to learn how to build pcs too :P

might build one for college. taking a class this year (sophomore year, high school)

that teaches about upgrading and maintaining pcs

also - true ocing is booting your pc in bios and changing it yourself :P

Edited by General

You don't need somebody to learn how to build a pc ^^

My brother built one and he's like 12 (normal everyday use pc, no high end gamer pc)

I'm building pc since I'm 15 or so (built a 10-15 pc)

All you need is the mobo manual and of you go ^^

Building computers isn't hard at all

You don't need somebody to learn how to build a pc ^^

My brother built one and he's like 12 (normal everyday use pc, no high end gamer pc)

I'm building pc since I'm 15 or so (built a 10-15 pc)

All you need is the mobo manual and of you go ^^

Building computers isn't hard at all

my school has vey limited classes that you can take, and limited ones that i am interested even though its a "iT specialty school" etc. lol.

Edited by General

STOP! right there is your mistake. Alienware pcs/laptops are made by Dell. Why is this bad? Because Dell is not that great, and dells are overpriced!

And to everybody talking cpus....when you buy a cpu you deff want a OCable one, or an unlocked processor. The intel i5 2500k, sure it looks like a lot less, but its really all you need. you just need to know a good OCer or OC yourself. When i buy my i5 2500k, my friend is going to OC it for me. and he says he can get it to 4.7GHz with only a little bit of work.

Well I can´t quite accept this concept. i7 costs about 280€ and i5 200€, the difference is 80€. Good coolers prices starts at 50-60€. So basicly when you buy lower level CPU and OC it you don´t gain nothing in money wise. Though you might have some fun tweaking CPU and learn something in the processes. But some games don´t run that well in OC CPUs\GPUs, not that I´ve tried myself but read from forums.

So with same money you can OC CPU and maybe get better performance, but in the other hand you can get more stable system with exactly the same money with factory tested\guaranteed higher tier CPU.

Choise is yours. And with both options you can "step in the bucket" ;)