I am torn between buying 2 computers and am not familiar with a few things....suggestions?

=Death Hunter=

It's a throw up between 2 computers both priced at $750 on newegg.

ienovo

Intel core i7

2600(3.40GHz)

8GB DDR3

1 TB HDD cap

Nvidia GeForce GT 420 1GB

ibuypower

Phenom II X6

1090T(3.2GHz)

4GB DDR3

1.5TB HDD cap

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB

I'm not familiar with the difference between the Phenom and Intel. And also the Radeon vs. Nvidia. Other than those I would lean towards Ienovo. I'm more of a music nerd than computer guy haha

Also is the GHz like the speed or performance of the processor?

Thanks!

Oh and also the qustion between 8GB ram vs 1TB mem to 4GB ram vs 1.5TB mem

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is I prefer the sound of the first, but then I prefer Nvidia / Intel.. I have the GeForce GT 420 (1GB) in my laptop.. It's pretty decent for a laptop but you could probably go for something higher for a new desktop.. I don't really know how the GT 420 weighs up next to the Raedon HD6850 though.. Maybe look up some comparisons..

1TB of hard disk space is plenty, don't sacrifice any specs for .5TB more as you wont really need it (and if you did, it'd be a cheap upgrade). And 8GB RAM is necessary if you actually plan on utilising a core i7..

Although I'm an AMD fan, I would say go for the intel one (if the price is the same)

The main reason for choosing AMD rig is that the price mostly is better balanced (but Intel cpu are superior)

But I only have experices with ati (amd) gpu's so dunno if the nvidia one is any good

Like chuckun said 1TB is plenty (and HDD are easy to replace)

REMARKS:

-do you have more specs (mobo,...)

-is selfbuild an option, because building your own pc is most of the time the cheapest solution

The first one has a better processor, the second has a better graphical processor. The GT420 is -for a gamer- unbalanced with the CPU, where for the second it is more balanced.

I would defenitely choose the first one, but I hate AMD. If you don't care about that, choose the second. The GPU is about 5 times faster (estimated guess, at least significant faster), where you don't offer that much for the processor/memory.

Never base a computer on memory or harddisk, those two are the easiest to upgrade :) I would (eventually?) upgrade the memory of the second, 4GB is sufficient for now, but you'll probably need more before the rest of the hardware gets old.

Yeah I was thinkin the same. As I read more into it, it says it's a "tool-less" design meaning I can change cards and do upgades fairly easy. Good for someone like me. If I decided to upgrade the card later will this computer handle it? Or will I have to upgrade other things as well to make it run up to par?

the "graphics card"

If your montherboard has PCI-e 2.0 then I dont see a problem upgradeing this i7 system later.

Didn´t find anything about nvidia 420 so I guess its lower than 450 and atis 6850 beats nvidias 450. But I think its hard to find competitor to i7 which is about 25% faster than AMD 1090 CPU.

So later you can upgrade your i7 with whichever graphics has more kicks for the buck... AMD or nVidia...

The Gt 420 is on par with the Hd 6450 and even then the 6450 is a tad better.

http://www.hwcompare.com/10270/geforce-gt-420-vs-radeon-hd-6450-oem-1gb/

In terms of the Cpu, here are some benchmarks.

Intel core i7 2600 = 8925

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T = 6050

Although the Intel one is much better, you won't really notice a difference because both are quite fast.

For gaming, the second one is the best.

DeathHunter ... IMO, spend a bit more and build a system yourself with better components, it's not difficult these days, and as far as TOOL versus tool-less ... about the ONLY tool one really ever needs to work with computers is a Phillips Screwdriver, and I bet you have one of those don't you ? ;)

MotherBoard: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z 68 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759 = $ 170.00

Processor: Intel i7 2600k = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070 = $ 315.00

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015 = $ 70.00

RAM ddr3: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB 1600 = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 = $ 60.00

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB SATA III SSD (OS/Boot only) = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442 = $ 219.00

HDD: WesternDigital Caviar Black 1 TB WD1002FAEX (Storage) = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 = $ 90.00

GPU graphics Card: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB TwinFrozrIII = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575R = $ 185.00 {Open Box discount}

PSU: CORSAIR TX650 650W 80+BRONZE Certified Power Supply = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 = $ 85.00 {w/ rebate}

CASE: Corsair Graphite Series 600T = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139003 = $ 150.00

OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992 = $ 140.00

OK, it's $1,500 :blush: {you can reduce that by shopping for the NewEgg combo deals, and looking for the items to come on sale, and I guess you don't "need" a SSD just yet ;)} but it's a hell of a rig that will blow away most and you won't be thinking about upgrades for YEARS, and you'll learn something and have fun putting it together yourself. You'll be MUCH happier with this than ANY off the shelf manufacturers store bought brand. :thumbsup

Yeah I was thinkin the same. As I read more into it, it says it's a "tool-less" design meaning I can change cards and do upgades fairly easy. Good for someone like me. If I decided to upgrade the card later will this computer handle it? Or will I have to upgrade other things as well to make it run up to par?

the "graphics card"

Tool-less... the only tool you need is a screw-driver. Although the misses might not like it, an dinner knife will work too. But I think there doesn't exists a man without screwdriver I hope :P

If you upgrade the graphic card, there is absolutely no guarantee that it works (based on the specifications you gave). Will it fit? Probably (depending if you don't have a 'slim-case' design in which only low-profile cards fit). More likely, these computers have the lowest possible hardware in it, which most of the time you see first on the power supply. The 6850 uses about 125W, where the 420 only uses 50W. That 'spare' 75W is not calculated in in those power supplies, so you (we!) can't know (yet!) if upgradable is possible.

If your montherboard has PCI-e 2.0 then I dont see a problem upgradeing this i7 system later.

Wait what?

PCI-e is the slot for graphic cards, not for CPUs.

He asks for a 750$ pc, and you give him one of double the price?

Graphic card is overrated for his budget, Windows should not be included (as it is not defined in the previous pc's), motherboard can be less expensive, the i7 2600K is awesome, but too expensive (half the budget!). For a 750$ pc, and SSD is not an option (unless you go for a silent office computer), etc.

For his budget, the systems that he choose might be 'unworthy' in your opinion (although already better what I have), but that is about the maximum you can get. Perhaps a slightly better GPU, Power supply, different case, and with spare money some more memory, but that's it.

Don't buy SSD yet they're not worthy cause most recent games are designed for commons HDD , try to boost up your RAM + Proc and a decent video card and you will be set

Although recent games are "designed for common HDDs" (of which I doubt they are optimized for any large storage device, but alright), an SSD owns the HDDs in any way.

It's out of range of the budget, but once you have it, you will love it.

Sry bad sentence structure. What I meant was that if he buys that i7 system (with PCI-e 2.0) then he can upgrade his graphic card later.

Well I don´t know hows with newer CPUs but my E8400 has both cores under 100% workload, especially with PB eating up to 30% of 1 core, so I am thinking of i7 also. But I guess that AMD 1090 will do just fine also.

Sry bad sentence structure. What I meant was that if he buys that i7 system (with PCI-e 2.0) then he can upgrade his graphic card later.

Well I don´t know hows with newer CPUs but my E8400 has both cores under 100% workload, especially with PB eating up to 30% of 1 core, so I am thinking of i7 also. But I guess that AMD 1090 will do just fine also.

My amd phenom II x4 does fine

So the 1090T will do fine to (Will be able to test him tomorrow: just have to install him ^^)

A, right :) Anyway, as I said, the upgradability depends on a lot more than just the slots/sockets, in case of graphic cards, the power supply is relevant too.

Btw, my 8400 also hits the 100% load, but (although measurement is hard) so does my GPU (9800GT) :) It's about balance, if your GPU is too slow, you can't run every game. If you're CPU is too slow, you can't run every game. Balance those such that none of these is a significant bottleneck :)

hahaha I'm just worried about trying to piece one together. I'm extremely mechanically inclined I just have lierally zero computer building experience. I'm about t be 29 so I come from the windows 3.1 era and DOS lol! Navigation wise I'm good. But I take it that I buy the shell, and are all the drives and prosessors and such labeled or come with any kind of instructions?

Are there any topics here on the forums I can do research on that would give me a quick run through of how the system works? Thanks you guys. Very informative!!!