New windows update (cannot connect)

Jesus

1 hour ago, ZaZa said:

Is there some message which appears when You try to connect or it just loads forever?

It’ll execute the program but just lag on the menu screen or it will get all the way to connected to a server then just load forever

Edited by Jesus

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

No 8

Why not update to win 10/11 ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10?fbclid=IwAR0eIiCxAnGzJwjUoYksyajuEsXwqgiYfnoGjVhSxJC1ob1efv9Zek9YvkI

Edited by Leatherface

• Leader
4 hours ago, Jesus said:

It’ll execute the program but just lag on the menu screen or it will get all the way to connected to a server then just load forever

Which server was that on?  

I know that Jay#2 had a problem about 20 hours ago that sounds very similar to this.

5 hours ago, Jesus said:

No 8

At first, i would say the problem is not with Windows.

I would search somewhere else.

Look at your ET console to the messages you get.

It may help you find the problem.

Gengis

Edited by Gengis
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gengis said:

At first, i would say the problem is not with Windows.

I would search somewhere else.

Look at your ET console to the messages you get.

It may help you find the problem.

. Last time i played or got on was a few day ago right after the updates so i figured maybe a restart did something.. but i was doing some music stuff yesterday before i tried to get on today and when i bounced down something i was working on, windows media player said it was incapable or something like that.. but then when i uploaded the file it was fine.. 

I will look deeper into the cmd console. Looked fine at first glance. Now that you got me looking, the windows updates were just for outlook and office..

Im going to download 3rd party anti virus/malware. Maybe defender isnt picking anything up anymore since 8 isn’t supported by microsoft. 

i will keep you updated.. very odd

Edited by Jesus

Windows 8 is not supported anymore as far as I know your best bet imo is to update you will have less issues just my 2 cents

• 100 1

• Leader
On 2/16/2024 at 11:07 AM, Jesus said:

Cannot connect, tried reinstalling both vanilla and legacy and running different compatibility modes. 

Now I am wondering if the ETLegacy server software that runs on FA ET servers now is having a problem with windows 8.

Uh, I have read that we need to use ETLegacy client 32-bit to join FA servers.  I had meant to say that if you use an ETL client, that you need the 32-bit version for most FA Servers. 😄    @TomekKromek says below that

We have two Legacy servers that support 64bit - ETL US and ETL EU.

:hmm Did this start happening after some other change or event?  :hmm 

ADDED:  TBS shows your alias "J3$uS" as being on Silent#1, with the last "good times" on 2/14 and with seven 999-connections on the 15th and 16th :  https://et.trackbase.net/player/1258269/

You could check your silent folder and see what your "silent_crash.log" file might contain.  With some silent crashes, is is only 1kb and shows nothing but the header.  The 3kb files do contain info that might be helpful.  

That file gets overwritten each time that there is a crash and it gets written to.  I save mine in a folder, with names like "silent_crash#170922.log" , which includes the date.  I checked a few of mine, and they all say that an "access violation" occurred in "my_cgame_mp_x86.dll".  That would seem to be the most common.  I have never had days of crashes, though.

The next time that you join Silent#1 and get locked up, open the console and do a condump.  We might see a clue in the that file.

I will go to Silent#1 right now and see what the server records might reveal, which is probably nothing useful.

ADD#2 : You can try joining other FA ET servers with different mods, like Jay#1 and NQ#1, just to see if that gives us some clues  🙏

ADD#3 : I found the IP for your Alias on Silent#1 and it also show two "Jesus" names, like you had reinstalled twice.  You should save the silent.dat file in your Silent folder somewhere else, so that you can reuse it if you ever have to reinstall or get a new computer.

TBS for "jesus" : https://et.trackbase.net/player/16998/  It looks like that name connected okay up to 2/14 and then had four 999s on 2/15 and 2/16. 

The Jesus who was on 19 hours ago played long enough to get a level 1.

The Jesus who was on 18 hours ago, shows "6 minutes of 'playing-time', but has 0 stats and no XP saved.  That might imply that you were 'partially connected', enough to get some info onto the server records.

The server records say that your alias "J3$uS" was last seen there 93 days ago, even though TrackBase shows that name connected earlier this month and then plagued with 999s.

I see that you had been on Beginners#2 with your alias, I will go see what I find there.  :hmm 

"Patch Tuesday" was on the 13th.  I wonder if that has someting to do with your problem???

ADD#4, Beginners#2 shows your alias name last there 93 days ago.  It also shows as an alias 'under' the Jesus name, with Jesus as a level 1 on the  guid.

It looks like your Jesus name (black) was on our  Beginners#1 (jaymod) server on the 17th.  

Uh, the server times and days may not be the same as your location.  😄  Beg#1 and Beg#2 are in West European times/days.

Edited by RedBaird
ADDEDs, and new clarification in green
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP
57 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

Uh, I have read that we need to use ETLegacy client 32-bit to join FA servers.  :?: 

Since I started using ETL several years ago, and this is on Linux, I had to use the 32-bit version or it was unplayable. At the time it was Cake who helped me through it and I;ve just always used the 32 bit version since on Linux and on Windows

6 hours ago, Jesus said:

Bc i like my computer exactly how it is. 

Old, outdated, unsupported and far behind modern technology??

That doesn't even make sense. Windows 10, OK, but Win 8?? 

I liked my original cars too, like my 69 El Camino and my 73 Chevy Pickup, but I found out AC was better than having that little vent window open in summer.

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RedBaird said:

Uh, I have read that we need to use ETLegacy client 32-bit to join FA servers.  :?: 

We have two Legacy servers that support 64bit - ETL US and ETL EU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1