Gpu upgrade advice

Element'

Gonna be upgrading my GPU soon and figured I could ask you guys for some advice! I currently have a 1650 super which runs ET smooth as can be but it really struggles with the newer games. I’m trying to decide between a 3060ti or a 3070ti. I was kinda leaning towards the 3060ti because I’m stuck with the 240hz 1080p monitor I bought not too long ago (before I knew about 1440p). But I’m thinking maybe I should get the 3070 so I can (possibly) upgrade my monitor to 1440p someday but that would be in the distant future. Thoughts anyone? Would the 3070 be worth $200 more on a 1080p monitor? 

Thanks y’all

i take a crack at this and say if you have the money to buy a 3070ti you can get a  3080 for around the same price and if you keep looking i'm sure you can find even better then that for around the same price rage as the 3070ti  from what you said so far  the 3060ti  from the prices right now i think you should really shot for a 3080 ti  there  really only a 100$ more then the 3070 ti  that would give you more upgrade able later own to i'm stock with my  1050 without a SSD  in my pc so i have no hope of playing anything new or hell even older  so long load times hells any  motivation to play anything lol 

what CPU are you using and how much  RAM do you have  are you using a SSD  or  HHD  if you want more help info like that is good to add in  

• Thanks 1

hey element! I personally just bought a new GPU (3060) last week to replace my old 1660ti and have done some pretty solid research. Long story short - unless you are super interested in ray tracing and want that slight boost in improvement....id personally go for the 3060ti. Overall a great card for the price (i kinda wish i went with the 3060ti rather than just the 3060 hahah) and it will hold its own for a while. Also - the 3060ti can do 1440p whenever you get around to upgrading the monitor! 

I started playing Hogwarts Legacy recently and the 3060 is holding up wonderfully! While the 1660ti handled the game, it was running at max which made my fans go full blast...sounded like i was in an airplane. With the 3060, I have the settings set higher and get to game in peace and quiet! For ET -- any modern card will work 

Regarding other components  as kiba mentioned -- id sink more money on RAM, I have noticed my AAA games would likely perform even better (I currently have 2x8gb DDR4 sticks which is on my list of upgrades asap!) I have all my games on an HDD, i know not ideal but damn are these new games huge. Lastly, I am an AMD fan and a good bang for the buck, the Ryzen 5 3600, put it in my system and a friend's system.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mraw435 said:

hey element! I personally just bought a new GPU (3060) last week to replace my old 1660ti and have done some pretty solid research. Long story short - unless you are super interested in ray tracing and want that slight boost in improvement....id personally go for the 3060ti. Overall a great card for the price (i kinda wish i went with the 3060ti rather than just the 3060 hahah) and it will hold its own for a while. Also - the 3060ti can do 1440p whenever you get around to upgrading the monitor! 

I started playing Hogwarts Legacy recently and the 3060 is holding up wonderfully! While the 1660ti handled the game, it was running at max which made my fans go full blast...sounded like i was in an airplane. With the 3060, I have the settings set higher and get to game in peace and quiet! For ET -- any modern card will work 

Regarding other components  as kiba mentioned -- id sink more money on RAM, I have noticed my AAA games would likely perform even better (I currently have 2x8gb DDR4 sticks which is on my list of upgrades asap!) I have all my games on an HDD, i know not ideal but damn are these new games huge. Lastly, I am an AMD fan and a good bang for the buck, the Ryzen 5 3600, put it in my system and a friend's system.

Thanks, Mraw I will definitely take that into consideration! I too just started playing Hogwarts Legacy and it pushes my card to the max. (lol @ airplane!) I have 2x8gb DDR5 and it even maxes that out! I also have my games on a HDD but looking to switch to maybe a m.2 SSD. (?) Dunno much about SSD's. 

2 hours ago, *Kiba* said:

i think you should really shot for a 3080 ti  there  really only a 100$ more then the 3070 ti

what CPU are you using and how much  RAM do you have  are you using a SSD  or  HHD  if you want more help info like that is good to add in  

I was looking at them, but I only have a 750W PSU and I think a 3070 ti is right at that limit. CPU is an Intel 12600KF.

8 hours ago, Element' said:

Thanks, Mraw I will definitely take that into consideration! I too just started playing Hogwarts Legacy and it pushes my card to the max. (lol @ airplane!) I have 2x8gb DDR5 and it even maxes that out! I also have my games on a HDD but looking to switch to maybe a m.2 SSD. (?) Dunno much about SSD's. 

I was looking at them, but I only have a 750W PSU and I think a 3070 ti is right at that limit. CPU is an Intel 12600KF.

oh dear then ya i think i would go for the sure thing with the 3060 ti  and us the money you could of spent buying the 3070 ti for  upgrades for your  HDD i myself wish i got one in my system but  me broke boy  not even sure how i would move my windows on 1 to  be able to us 1 in the first place and ya i know next to nothing about  SSD  another then there like superman  will  HDD are like bat man he can make it to the top but it takes him a hour or 2  if you don't get what i'm  saying one is very slow ass  upload and download speed and the other is like add  ram to a slow ass pc  

• Thanks 1

To add some context between the difference of HDDs/SSDs - SSDs are more like RAM and read/write data onto nonvolatile microchips (similar to RAM). HDDs has this little arm that move around these spinning magnetics disks to read/write (can probable here the rotations coming from your HDD). SSDs can be considered because they can load games and transfer data faster.

Different approaches to addressing storage:

1.) SSD M.2 is the quickest can also add up pretty quickly. I have read that if you want the very best speeds, have your games on the same storage device as your OS ....however, with the size of these games now that may add up quick! Generally, it is also good to not have the storage device with your OS more than 75% full to avoid slowdowns

2.) 2.5" SSDs can usually be mounted in HDD cages or a few other locations within a case. If looking for upgrading your HDDs to SSDs generally this may be a better approach if financially restricted when compared to the M.2 (also if you already have your OS on an M.2 and do not want to migrate your OS to a new device...unless you have 2 M.2 slots on your motherboard, thatd be cool!)

3.) When looking at various SSDs, consider their transfer speeds - just like all other storage devices, transfer speeds will vary (i sound like a commercial here). Look for #### MB/s.

If you are interested in trying to see where to upgrade first (CPU, RAM, GPU, storage), this resource may be helpful:

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/

After adding your system hardware - it will give you a list of games to triple check and then provide data on your CPU, RAM, and GPU. For overall gaming - I would focus on these three components first. If they are looking solid -- switching to an SSD can be a .... solid... next step!

• Thanks 1

I might add that SSD's when it's loaded over 80% of it's capacity will have read/write slowdown
If I was you, I would take a 250 GB SSD for your OS stuff and I would buy a second one 1/2 TB for my game library since if you overload your OS drive it will slow it down and you don't want that.

If you wanna store raw files , movies and stuff, I would consider adding a HDD since they come with higher capacity (20TB) than SSDs but they really not adapted for gaming anymore.
It all depends on your usage than anything else

As for the graphic cards

I have a proverb, the later you wait, the better the wine is.

Currently they on their 3th generation of Ray tracing cards, which is really better than the 2 previous generation but do you really want RT to munch over 40% of your framerates ?

I'm currently rocking a RX 580 gaming X which is still a REALLY good card for the price, minus ray tracing but I still have access to newest cards feature and i can play all the latest titles at the resolution of my screen without a hitch.

I'm currently waiting on newer version of RT cards because I don't wanna hop on the wagon and ultimately being deceived.

For processor, I'm a big INTEL fanboy since I first touched a PC so even if I give you advises, it will be always falling over Intel side haha,

The only thing I can say, intel is slaying AMD right now in gaming CPU and it always been like that!

At the end, it's all a process of searching , reading and stuff

When you have chosen your parts, pass it through that website

https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/

It will tell you if your combo has bottleneck at some point, which is real bad too at the end.

side note: 32GB of RAM is the new sweetspot for gaming, higher than that, it's for workstation and it would't accelerate more your games since they don't use more past a certain amount.

if I'm going all around, tell me, I'll clarify

PS: Yeah they on their 3th generation of RT since they started at 2000

• Thanks 1

My pc
Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700KF @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)

Get the intel arc A770.  around 330 on newegg.com 

Its a great card know that this is new an it has some bugs but its getting better an better each update

-ET 1920x1080 165 hz. Im dead steady at 165 fps now if you have 200hz or more i think 200 would be steady also. 

-Battlefield V - I get between 155-165 but future up dates will make this better also using (direct 12)

1.jpg

2.png

Notice it will get better but Less money for the same thing as the (3060) Just shown up above it says battlefield 5 gets around 81 for the A770 now its improved 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i can't say buy from newegg the things i seen on youtube make me not want to buy things from newegg  nothing good coming out of newegg all the scammeie little shit they done hell even the shipping they have offerd has changed so much that it make the best place to get pc parts not worth the risk of buying from them  trust me there some really bad shit been going down with newegg  if you don't  believe me just pull up youtube  type in newegg and look at all the videos that are being uploaded now about how shitty of a job they done 

but ya i still stick with what i said  about the 3070 ti or the 3060 ti  i add some more ram to if you really want the best you can get  out of your pc and the games  you want to play i say the new  AA+ games that are coming out  16GB  of ram is just not  enough anymore to get the best  performance and have a long lasting pc not saying that 16gb will not run the games but it will kill the life on your pc from them always running at 100%  

and YES  to getting a SSD  save your self the headaches  of having to wait 10 to 15mins for a gme to fullie load up and if you play anything like rust or ark you will love me for  saying buy 1  

On 2/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, mraw435 said:

To add some context between the difference of HDDs/SSDs - SSDs are more like RAM and read/write data onto nonvolatile microchips (similar to RAM). HDDs has this little arm that move around these spinning magnetics disks to read/write (can probable here the rotations coming from your HDD). SSDs can be considered because they can load games and transfer data faster.

Different approaches to addressing storage:

1.) SSD M.2 is the quickest can also add up pretty quickly. I have read that if you want the very best speeds, have your games on the same storage device as your OS ....however, with the size of these games now that may add up quick! Generally, it is also good to not have the storage device with your OS more than 75% full to avoid slowdowns

little on that i google this to see what you meant by this so i looked it up  from this i see no real point in doing that  maybe have a HHD  for bigger games but i still want to have the main games i play on my SSD  for the fasties  possible loading there is how ever very good argument over it tho  but in the long run there really in no real  benefit from installing your games on a HHD vs SSD other then  load times like i said it all still come down to if you f*** up and have to install windwos again to fix your problem  your still going to have to redowload all them games 

If you are running Windows then its probably BEST to keep your games/apps on the same drive as the OS if you have the space, there is no benefit in installing them on a seperate drive because if you have to reinstall Windows you will have to reinstall your software again anyway.

Is it better to have the OS on an SSD and then games on an HDD?

Games that are installed on your SSD will load quicker than they will if they were installed on your HDD. And, so, there is an advantage to installing your games on your SSD instead of on your HDD. So, as long as you have enough storage space available, it definitely makes sense to install your games on an SSD.

image.png.8a7a8e2aef72d178db8b3dc9c4206aef.png
  • Thanks 1

On a side note, make sure that monster 3070 card fits in your case, the newer generation of vid card have grown in profile.   That is my next upgrade, new computer case so I can fit a new video card in it.

• Like 1

well, when I have trouble with my windows and since I have my stuff installed on other drives
3 simple step: 1 .Burn windows on a USB
                      2 .Reinstall
                      3 .play after the drivers are installed
                   (Instead of downloading 400-500GB worth of games.)
it makes the maintenance WAAAAAY easier.

and there is no benefit to install everything on your OS drive, fill it up and then your OS will run like dog crap
keep them separate

• 100 1

Ohh by the way, there is HDDs which are as fast as SSDs with waaaaay more capacity for less money.
Welcome to MACH.2 technologies from barracuda with 2 actuators instead of one, cache and all that good stuff

there are cases where you have a vertical mounted bracket for GPU's if you want to keep it more small build
I don't know if it's your case but I'm just telling :)

On 2/20/2023 at 8:37 AM, Blunt said:

That is my next upgrade, new computer case so I can fit a new video card in it.

• Like 1

Did a thing 😃 found a really good price on this so I decided to grab it instead of the 3060. I was looking at those Intel Arc cards and they look promising but wasn’t ready to pull the trigger on one. So far it’s been great. Gonna do a deep clean of my PC this weekend and tuck those wires somewhere. Thanks to all the good info in this thread I’m definitely gonna do a M.2 SSD next and eventually more RAM. 

Thanks everyone for the help ❤️

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

Edited by Element'
  • Like 2
  • Love 1