Gpu upgrade advice

Element'

On 2/21/2023 at 5:12 PM, SlitfaceJR said:

Ohh by the way, there is HDDs which are as fast as SSDs with waaaaay more capacity for less money.
Welcome to MACH.2 technologies from barracuda with 2 actuators instead of one, cache and all that good stuff

MACH.2 for storage as a slave/backup drive etc? Yep, all day long and if possible peeps should replace any older HDD's with either a MACH.2 drive or an SSD, but both MACH.2 and SATA SSD's will always limited by SATA 3 6Gb/s limit.

M.2 Nvme is the way to go if you want pure speed, the new newer ones using PCIe 4.0 can be 10+ times faster than anything a MACH.2 can do, then we got the newer PCIe 5...well they are getting to up to 15-20+ times quicker.

Trying to compare MACH.2 against an M.2 Nvme SSD on speed?? Just not even in the same league. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Surprise 1

aweome to see element - let us know how ya like it and, if you feel so inclined, post your final setup (if it looks any different from your first pic...lol just went through the prior posts and saw your setup)! 

Edited by mraw435
  • 100 1

On 2/24/2023 at 10:35 PM, Element' said:

Did a thing 😃 found a really good price on this so I decided to grab it instead of the 3060. I was looking at those Intel Arc cards and they look promising but wasn’t ready to pull the trigger on one. So far it’s been great. Gonna do a deep clean of my PC this weekend and tuck those wires somewhere. Thanks to all the good info in this thread I’m definitely gonna do a M.2 SSD next and eventually more RAM. 

Thanks everyone for the help ❤️

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

sweet case ...

• Thanks 1

Your cats seem unimpressed 😜

Good choice - I say buy everything you can afford when you can afford it. PC components don't always keep up with new development well and become limited. For example, I got my 3080 near the end of the chip shortage and just before Far Cry 6 came out. At the time, it was the best available, but couldn't run FC in extreme mode. Not a huge deal, just dial down the settings a bit, but goes to show it's hard to stay on the cutting edge when developers constantly push the envelope. 

• 100 2

On 2/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, Snuffs99 said:

MACH.2 for storage as a slave/backup drive etc? Yep, all day long and if possible peeps should replace any older HDD's with either a MACH.2 drive or an SSD, but both MACH.2 and SATA SSD's will always limited by SATA 3 6Gb/s limit.

M.2 Nvme is the way to go if you want pure speed, the new newer ones using PCIe 4.0 can be 10+ times faster than anything a MACH.2 can do, then we got the newer PCIe 5...well they are getting to up to 15-20+ times quicker.

Trying to compare MACH.2 against an M.2 Nvme SSD on speed?? Just not even in the same league. 

I know people here may have a large game library
if you read carefully I was talking about SSD and MACH.2 that are in the same "league" technically now, not NVME.
you should know that SSDs and NVMEs when they get filled up above 80%, they get real slow and they will die quicker.
modern HDD does not have this problem.

for the price of a 15 TB NVME you will pay 5000$ CAD and more
for the price 20TB of a MACH.2 drive (which I still not comparing to NVME speed like you may think I was comparing them to SSD's) 500$
I prefer paying for the Mach.2 drive than a NVME to hold up my data, if they ever die, you will have an headache getting your files back, possible but harder than HDD.
those MACH.2 drives will always replace ANY SSDs in my computer for my game library until it's less pricey, personally that's not 2 seconds less on loading time that will affect me
that's what I was referring to.

well you were right about slave drive, I would store games on it
I was talking about raw storage for game library nothing else
and at some point, games data are stored in the RAM while they running, so it's up to the RAM too to do his work.
other than that is nonsense that I didn't stated at all

• Like 1