Client Issue "Unselected connection" is kinda stuck

Jolie

Question

14 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Jolie said:

I need to find a way to make the connection type stay: Lan/Cable/xdsl because as soon as I get in the server, it changes to unselected 😕

To keep "unselected" is OK

Basicaly, the menu has "preset rate values"
If you choose modem it will set a rate of 4000, if you choose ISDN it will set it to 5000, and if you choose LAN/CABLE/xDSL it will set it to 25000.

Here the code of the menu about it :

cvarFloatList { "Modem" 4000 "ISDN" 5000 "LAN/CABLE/xDSL" 25000 } cvarListUndefined "Unselected"

If you chose a connection type on menu and connect to server which forces to another rate, it may change it to "unselected", because it has modified the default rate you have selected.

The "unselected" is due to manual rate config / or server forcing rate

Type /player in console to check your rate on server

/players

ID : Player                    Nudge  Rate  MaxPkts  Snaps

0 : =f|a=gharib*                  0 46000      100     20

2 hours ago, Eazy said:

My connection type doesn t stay selected either , it s a bug and i don t think that is related to your lag. 

Your lag is not due to the "unselected" bug as said above @Eazy and you can keep it as it is.

edit :

@Broham did we really both sent this at same time 😄  

Edited by GHARIB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 1

I would say your lag is more due to your ISP.

You can verify it with WinMTR.

See

Gengis

Edited by Gengis
  • Like 1
  • 100 1

Hi!

I will give it a try, MikeSlayer, thanks.

Gengis, I just tried the... thing? you suggested but not sure it will help.

I got lines saying "   No response from host -  100 |   16 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |"

I need to find a way to make the connection type stay: Lan/Cable/xdsl because as soon as I get in the server, it changes to unselected 😕

@Jolie

Look at the packet losess.

But if the problem is with your ISP, then all you can do is fire him and get a new one.

Also i never care about my connection type. I am not sure it may do a difference.

If you are far away from the server your ping will be high.

Gengis

• 100 1

19 hours ago, Jolie said:

Hi, there. I keep selecting the connection type but it doesn't stay so I'm lagging a lot. Is there any cfg command or anything I can do to fix it? 

Hey dear, how much ping do you have? and in wich server do you play and where are you from?

Hi Jolie The two basic questions are whether your ping is high but still the same whether you have ping spikes.

Some quick commands that may help.

/g_antilag 1       - 1 help for player who have high ping players

/snaps 20

/rate 2500           1000-1Kb/s , 56k:4000 .broadband 25000

/cl_maxpackets 100

/cl_packetdup 1

If you don't know something, write to me on discord.

Edited by FixFox
  • Thanks 1

timenudge doesnt fix ping lag. it changes your ping number  makes u think your not lagging u still are. causes warping in players bad. anything over -15  makes worse. is a illegal command u cant use it in league or atlest u used to not be able too.... i hate it when people mess with timenudge  to fix lag it makes em warp an un hit able.

that connection selector  isnt your problem either. mine goes to unselected also. et wasnt made for 1 gig connections or higher . 56k was fast as it got when et was made.

run the winmtr  FOLLOW DAREDEVILS DIRECTIONS, Then POST.  

we cant tell anything from one line.

you could post your cfg also . this might help. and pc specs. o/s

you could also make a little video of your game while your lagging .. might help also.

you can tho go too your counsel in game type /r_ then hit tabs key all your video setting will show in counsel. if a bad setting is your problem you will find it there . 

you have /com_tabs

/cg_tabs 

/r_

/s_ 

/cl_ 

i had a issue a while ago  so did eazy where  we just lagged on fa servers.  it went away on its own and i am almost certain it was the provider of cable internet.good luck talking to them  lady i got on phone didnt even know what cmd prompt was.lol 

those are the basic ones.

u can check rate by typing /rate hit enter in counsel.  or  by / players in counsel.

same for snaps.  20 is key for snaps 30 if your right next  door to server but 40 will cause et too loop  the snaps and u will lag worse.

you could go in to your task manager when u are lagging check to see whats running in back ground.

i had to change my load perimitter line in et to make my  et not lag. Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" + set com_hunkMegs "512" + set com_zoneMegs "128" + set com_soundMegs "64"

Edited by captnconcrete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As most people here already said, your connection type changing to "Unselected" is a result of the server forcing your rate to 40000. it is impossible to have your connection type stay at one of the preset values (LAN/Cable, ...)

ET was made when dialups were still a thing, and they didnt account for our current high-speed connections.

So, your lag has nothing to do with your connection type in ET settings. Having the WinMTR results (like Gengis suggested) would help us understand where your lag might come from.

• Like 1

Thanks, Gengis. You were right since everybody else is on the same page as you. I just had a little bit of hope it would be easier to fix the problem with a command than changing my internet provider lol

Hi, Daddy! My ping goes around 120 but like FixFox guessed, it spikes, going to 300 ish sometimes. I thought it was related to the "unselected" situation because my internet is not great but not horrible. Its 15 Mb... I guess  I will have to play lagging. I have been trying to play on you guys server that gets full of real ppl during the day. Its a jaymod one....

Hi, FixFox! You were right about the spikes and thanks for all commands, I will try all of them because why not, right? ^.^

Hi, captnconcrete! I will try everything you said, one by one o.O slowly...

Hi, Broham! I ran the WinMTR like Gengis told me to but I didn't know if I could post the whole thing or if it would be spam. I will try to send it to you just in case there's something in that info I shouldnt post for everybody to see...

Hi, Gharib! 

I was going to add an image but I don't know how to soooo mine is  0    45000   100   20

Hi, tEst453! I don't think cleaning is going to help because I just got Enemy Territory but I will read the links you posted. Thanks!

Ok, lots to read and lots to learn but I kinda feel that moving from here will fix the problem lol

Thanks a lot everybody that took the time to explain things to me and find commands that might help me somehow and I hope nobody will get upset if I play lagging. I don't plan on being amazing like the guy I was watching yesterday, that got 165 kills... I just want to enjoy the game.

See you all in game *waves*

• Like 3

I was going to add an image but I don't know how to soooo mine is  0    45000   100   20

this is your rate on server! 

So don't worry about it all is fine.

I don't think cleaning is going to help because I just got Enemy Territory but I will read the links you posted. Thanks!

This tutorial he has sent to you is not related to Enemy Territory, but to your Windows TCP/IP Stack! So to reset the stack is a really good thing to do and can solve many problem of spikes"of lag.

Don't hesitate to PM me .