GTX 580 is here....Makes me want to take a shit

OnionKnight

GTX 580: The death of the GTX 400 series !!

14-127-542-02.jpg

Can it be that Nvidia has finally made an over and above card and might actually have a chance to reclaim its title as best selling graphics card manufacturer?

Changes in the GTX 580 from previous generations:

It has the same architecture as the GTX 480 except the transistors were reorganized so that it makes it more efficient for performance per watt. They reorganized it in such a way that the fastest transistors would be fully utilized in the GTX 580, unlike in the GTX 480 which utilized those transistors for noncritical tasks . Also finally probably the biggest improvement would be that the GTX 580 will have the full use of 512 cuda cores (rather than the GTX 480 which can only use 480 of its 512 cuda cores) and the ability to use all 16 SMs without eating enough wattage to make you go broke.

Quick Breakdown:

• Over 26000 3dmark vantage score and is 2000 marks more than the GTX 480. Meaning for a Single GPU card, it has great performance and can compete with the HD 5970 (which has 28000, but utilizes 2 GPUs to do this).
  • Eats 10 less wattage than a HD 5970 and 50 less watts than a GTX 480
  • Uses Vapor Chamber cooling (which was first introduced by Sapphire). I can say that this was a great move as it only produces as much heat as a HD 5850 under load.

GPU Engine Specs: CUDA Cores 512 Graphics Clock (MHz) 772 MHz Processor Clock (MHz) 1544 MHz Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 49.4 Memory Specs: Memory Clock (MHz) 2004 Standard Memory Config 1536 MB GDDR5 Memory Interface Width 384-bit

Onion's Opinion:

If i had $500 to spend a single GPU card, I would definitely choose the GTX 580. For a single GPU card to be almost as powerful as a dual GPU HD 5970, is really saying that Nvidia isn't shitting around. The pricing is also spot on.

For some bizzare reason, if you are buying a GTX 580 in Canada, it is cheaper than the USA. In fact in Canada the GTX 580 is cheaper than the HD 5970, which is it's main competitor. But if you live in the US the GTX 580 costs more than the HD 5970. So value wise, if you live in Canada, the GTX 580 is cheaper. If you live in USA, the HD 5970 is cheaper.

I also have to say that Vapor chamber cooling is an amazing idea. Even though it isn't quite original (Sapphire has been doing this for quite a while). In the end though it creates some amazing temps for the card and I wouldn't be surprised if ppl in Sapphire are pissing themselves right now (they probably are saying. OH FACK. There goes our vapor X series of cards).

One complaint is that for a single GPU card, I really did expect it to be more energy efficient. Compared to a HD 5970 that uses 2 GPU's, it only beats it by 10 watts. But still when you compare to those improvements to the GTX 480, it is astronomical.

Another complaint is that....it isn't that much different from a GTX 480. Why couldn't they just make the GTX 480 this good in the first place? It has the same architecture !! (the cards are no different. Just how they arranged the transistors and changing the priorities of some rendering pathways). So it is really...the same card. Just one is more disorganized than the other.

Bad PR - Some people going to be pissed

At the same time I think Nvidia made a **** move. The GTX 400 series has only been out for slightly more than half a year. Now the GTX 500 series already came out. This makes the GTX 400 the fastest dying generation of Nvidia cards in existance (and if you bought a GTX 400 series you should be pissed).

Some people are already calling it an "upgraded GTX 480" (which is actually true and false)

My theory though is that the GTX 480 was a prototype for the GTX 580 (and not the other way around. The GTX 580 is probably what the GTX 480 should have been). Especially considering that the GTX 480 actually has the 512 stream processors (cuda cores) that the GTX 580 has, but only could use 480 of them (for some unknown reason Nvidia locked the remaining 32 cores). Also back when the ATI 5000 series came out, Nvidia speculated that they wouldn't be releasing their cards until the same time next year. Instead 6 months later they release the GTX 480 (which ate more power than a dual GPU HD 5970). Probably because of the pressure from ATI's early release, they had to release something during that 1 year time.

Conclusion:

But overall I can say that the GTX 580 is a decent card, but is also a complete waste of facking time.

Maybe this time Nvidia did something right, especially with Sapphire's vapor technology which brings excessively low temps (which use to cost extra but now comes as standard). At the same time i feel like people were being played into believing this card is an advancement. Essentially it is a GTX 480 that has some reorganized for better efficiency and now have those 32 extra cuda cores unlocked. (if anyone found a way to enable the remaining 32 cores on their GTX 480, they can be like "lookkk maaa/paaa....i gotsss myself a GTX 580 =D")

On the other hand I don't think the 2000 more marks will cause an upstir for GTX 480 buyers to ditch their cards and the pricing won't cause much of a stir in the ATI audience either which tends to favor the mid ranged cheaper selection.

All i can say though is....what a piece of shit...............

ROFL, I love it Onion. It's one of the issues people have been complaining about the Nvidia cards for some time. Their die making processes is ineffective and costly. They've been stringing things along just to keep this gen going for awhile.

One question though man, and it's probably just b/c it's early and I haven't had coffee yet so I feel foggy.

# Eats 10 less wattage than a HD 5970 and 50 less watts than a GTX 480

# Uses Vapor Chamber cooling (which was first introduced by Sapphire). I can say that this was a great move as it only produces as much heat as a HD 5850 under load.

If this card uses 10 less watts than an HD5850, shouldn't it produce less heat using the same cooling architecture? I haven't read reviews yet so no idea what the actual temps are. Just curious about that part though mate. Otherwise great writeup.

ROFL, I love it Onion. It's one of the issues people have been complaining about the Nvidia cards for some time. Their die making processes is ineffective and costly. They've been stringing things along just to keep this gen going for awhile.

One question though man, and it's probably just b/c it's early and I haven't had coffee yet so I feel foggy.

If this card uses 10 less watts than an HD5850, shouldn't it produce less heat using the same cooling architecture? I haven't read reviews yet so no idea what the actual temps are. Just curious about that part though mate. Otherwise great writeup.

Lol read the quote again you just used =D. It says 10 less watts than a HD 5970.

As for the cooling for the GTX 580, they are using vapor chamber technology, which Sapphire has been doing for over 2 years now (You can buy Sapphire HD 4000 and HD 5000 series cards with vapor chambers too). The GTX 480 on the other hand is just a regular heatsink and fan.

Yeaah i Saw some reviews last night and i must say wow a great job nvidia.. 22 november the new HD 69XX series coming I'm really interesting to see what amd gonna say... i hope a good news cuz this is the only way we gonna see amd or nvidia lower their price: competition :)

Yeaah i Saw some reviews last night and i must say wow a great job nvidia.. 22 november the new HD 69XX series coming I'm really interesting to see what amd gonna say... i hope a good news cuz this is the only way we gonna see amd or nvidia lower their price: competition :)

Same I hope for good news too. Hopefully AMD doesn't let us down (it still feels weird to say AMD) or else it is going to be a completely shitty year for video cards.

At least on the bright side, everything is dropping in price now =D (you can pick up a HD 5870 for $269.99 after rebate on newegg.com).

Lol read the quote again you just used =D. It says 10 less watts than a HD 5970.

As for the cooling for the GTX 580, they are using vapor chamber technology, which Sapphire has been doing for over 2 years now (You can buy Sapphire HD 4000 and HD 5000 series cards with vapor chambers too). The GTX 480 on the other hand is just a regular heatsink and fan.

*Facepalm*

Thats what I get for reading forums before coffee. Pulling head out of ass now.