Crying about my vid card

Blunt

To put a long story short, spilled water into my top vent of my tower computer fan.  Guess what is directly below the fan?  Yep, my  Geforce GTX 970 vid card.  Normally that would be no big deal, but evidently we are in the midst of a graphics chip shortage that has no end in sight until 2022.   So if I want to buy a replacement, like a newer 1050TI, they are $375+, and that is several generations old.  Right now I am using a GT 710 vid card and it hurts playing games, even ET seems sluggish :( :( :(

Any suggestions on reasonable vid card purchases?

• Sad 2
  • Surprise 1

• Leader
18 minutes ago, Blunt said:

GT 710 vid card

Is this the version that you got, the 're-issue' with a few port-improvements?

Here is an over-clocking video from Nov. 2019:

You could get another video card from the advice that you receive here and then experiment with the 710 before installing the one 'most-advised' on that you had just bought.

You could then at least keep the over-clocked 710 as a 'backup unit', just in case. 😄 

• Love 1

A lot of people are buying the cheapest prebuilt they can find that has a decent card then pulling the card out and putting it into their build. Obviously not the most cost effective but its can be cheaper than buying the higher end cards by themselves (looking at you RTX 3070 on ebay for 170,000 USD)

• Like 1

• Leader
53 minutes ago, CabaL said:

RTX 3070 on ebay for 170,000 USD)

Do you have a couple of extra zeroes in there?

Woo, some of the "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition FE GPU" sellers are asking for High Prices, up to $3,600 USD !  (right now, that is...tomorrow, who knows?)

Some of the OC versions are offered for 1700 and up! 😮 

10 hours ago, RedBaird said:

Do you have a couple of extra zeroes in there?

Woo, some of the "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition FE GPU" sellers are asking for High Prices, up to $3,600 USD !  (right now, that is...tomorrow, who knows?)

Some of the OC versions are offered for 1700 and up! 😮 

Screenshot_20210514-185645_Chrome.jpg?wi

At least they offered free shipping

• Haha 5
  • Love 1
  • Surprise 1

• Leader
8 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

The first one would charge me $23.60 for US Priority mail to California.

The second on is higher-priced, but has Free Shipping.

Both will not ship to many, many countries around the world. 

43 minutes ago, Hulk said:

@CabaL At least there is free shipping🍻

He should post that pic in our "funny pictures" section! 😮 

• 100 1

Ok, the tears have dried up.  I was able to buy a used GTX 1060 for under $200.  According to random internet bench marks, it is 5% faster, very expensive upgrade, lol.  Funny, I play ET 90% of the time, last two video cards, I saw no performance & visual improvement even with all settings on max for visuals. 

@RedBaird

While a great idea, the card wouldn't let me activate the GeForce experience for overclocking, said my card didn't meet requirements.  A third party utility did "NvidiaInspector" however I locked the computer several times and had to give up.  Turning down all of the ET visual settings helped a lot too

@captnconcrete

Thanks for the links, wound up picking up local using FB market place.  Need the extra power for a couple of games I bought on the steam solstice sales.

@Buckwild

I looked up the benchmark comparison, it says the GTX 650 was 157% faster than my GT 710.    On another note someone was comparing the GT 710 to the Intel integrated Video.   Intel kicked the 710's ass by a lot.   That's a first, lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I ordered GTX 1650 because My GTX 1050ti quit on Me

Besides, The 1050 couldn't hold 125 FPS

I want 4 k Monitor and quad-core CPU, My present CPU is dual-core

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buckwild said:

makes no sense . to me i can hold 125 fps  solid  with a 660 gtx hell even my old ass 7800gtx held 125 fps all day. 

2 hours ago, Buckwild said:

i have a 1050 and i can hold  225 stable  fps i run 125 fps as a base and it runs just fine on both sil and  jaymod  i can even sometimes hold a stable  fps  of 333 lol yes i have a hotkey to change my fps setting 😛 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:28 AM, CabaL said:

Screenshot_20210514-185645_Chrome.jpg?wi

At least they offered free shipping

Scalpers lol, people like that ruin the market. definitely won’t sell. 

check newegg and keep an eye open. a month or two ago i found a 3070 for $700 US and that’s a steal right now. I only have a 1050TI right now (and i run most games fine, but if you’re gonna upgrade i suggest something between 1660-2070) but there’s also other websites you can browse. you can probably get a 1660 super for $300-400 if you look hard enough, more than enough for ET will run most modern games most likely on low end graphics spectrum, but i do anyways for the fps boost/stability. check daily, and at least 2x a day. facebook marketplace has some steals too (where i am atleast).