Retro PCs, Consoles, and Electronics

ButtMonkey

Hey there!

While playing games I've been chatting with some other players about retro gaming, and while i enjoy the chat its hard to keep up while playing an FPS game! So i figured i would open up a thread about retro gaming. Somewhere we can chat and show off a bit and maybe help someone find or repair their own collections.

Plus no one in my life even has the tiniest bit of interest in it. And thinks iam out of my mind for collecting it... so it would make me very happy to chat with like minded individuals.

So if you are interested, post a few pictures of your favorite stuff, or something you have been searching for. Even Cassette tape players or TVs or anything. And if you are having issues with an electronic just ask, Iam absolutely no expert but I've been buying and repairing my own collection and iam sure some others have been too 

So, here we go. Ill post a couple rare things and a couple of my favorite things.

What i consider to be my rarest consoles are my TurboGraFX 16 and the Panasonic 3D0. And if anyone has games for either i will buy them! 

game2.png.4c762911d310569cd4a72861cf815452.pngGame1.png.fc919303b0762d665916d489b2f8bd6a.png

Edited by ButtMonkey
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

And my favorite console of all time is my childhood SNES, which i have a stack of and will be putting forsale soonGame4.png.5cf49999dadbe6e7dbc39b4a03760130.png

And finaly my most nostalgic game is 007 Goldeneye. After a long search i found the game CIB, with the watch and the gun! Its still a blast to playgame3.png.20569eb234ffdcde70a8ff0ac9c9cf1a.png

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Very nice thread and even nicer pics!

A 3DO is a real gem, especially one made by Panasonic. The 3DO and the Atari Jaguar are both unknown territory for me. What's that Japanese game you have next to Pebble Beach (oh man, Pebble Beach, to this day I do not understand why my parents thought a Golf game would be something I'd like to have for Christmas)?

I have a TurboGrafx 16, too, it's supposed to become the next area of extension for my retro collection. So far I only have three games for it: Liquid Kids, Galaga '88 and Blazing Lazers. Would love to get a PC Engine CD and Rondo de Blood (Castlevania) for it. So far I only know the game as the SNES adaptation (Vampire's Kiss).

Your GoldenEye gun & watch are awesome. Also, the Super Mario World next to is very nice, even a PAL version. In Canada, did you have NTSC or PAL/SECAM like France?

So far my main focus have been Sega and Nintendo consoles, especially the ones I grew up with. I have a complete PAL collection of the Sega Master System, Sega Saturn and N64. Would love to complete my collections for other systems like the NES or SNES, too, but prices there have been insane lately. SNES games I know that had a market price of about 100 Euro CiB ten years ago, now often go for hundreds, if not even close to a 1,000 Euros. Especially insane for games that had never been super rare like MegaMan X3. I somewhat understand the high prices of games that saw only a limited release, like for example Whirlo, but that games that sold close to a million go for thousands of euros, is just insane to me.

Retro PC gaming, as in playing on original hardware, is something I've been trying to get into as well. At my parent's house I still have my old computers that I had when I was a kid in the '90s, especially my most beloved computer of all time I got in 1999: Pentium 3@500 MHz with a Voodoo2-SLI setup that my uncle put into it (I think, out of the box the PC came with an ATI Rage or something like that). Nothing but great memories I've had with that computer: Jedi Knight, Quake 1-3, Unreal, Half-Life, Deus Ex, StarCraft, Diablo 2, System Shock 2, Grim Fandango, Outcast, Jagged Alliance 2... too many great games to name all! I even played Return to Castle Wolfenstein on it although then the PC started to show its age and it didn't run too well on it. Nothing beats playing on original hardware with a bulky CRT.

When I visit my parents next time, I will get some pictures for this thread as well. Here, the most retro thing I can offer is a PS3 which I picked up to try out the game Lair by Factor 5 which was supposed to be an upgraded fantasy version of the Rogue Squadron games but in the end flopped very badly.

• Love 2

Nice thread ButtMonkey :) 

That's a good idea to made a topic about Retro Gaming, I like it too and we discuss a bit about on discord.

I will try to take more pictures of my collection, when that will be out of the boxes and nicely displayed (That take so much place that I don't have ^^ )

Don't know you like old games and have so much @Lt Steiner  ;) 

As you say prices are insane for the moment..

I still have my old WinXP computer with all the old games I have run on ( Jedi knight, Quake 3, RTCW, Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empire, Command and Conquer, American Conquest, Theme Hospital, lots of gems 😛 ) 

For Consoles my first one was the Gameboy Color from my siblings, After I buy a gameboy micro and a Gamecube. I think that Cube is still my lovely console today. And that impossible screen with the GBMicro, nothing better to play discretly at school 😄 

Then with my first job I buy back a lot of the games I sell when I was younger, and lot more.... x) 

I've got a nice collection of  5/6/7th generation games (GBC, PS1-PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, dreamcast, Xbox360, Wii ) 

I have few before and after but the 6th generation ( 1999-2005 ) it's when I grow up and have the most feelings and remembers in this period

Some of them here :) 

• Love 1
  • Surprise 1
  • 100 1

hell yeah,

reminds me when i were delivering newspapers back in the days to earn me my money to buy the Diamond Monster 3D with the glorious voodoo1 3Dfx accelerator onboard... hehe good old days,... when need for speed 2 in 3dfx was the most realisitc thing you have ever seen... 🤭🤣

• Love 3

11 minutes ago, Vice86 said:

hell yeah,

reminds me when i were delivering newspapers back in the days to earn me my money to buy the Diamond Monster 3D with the glorious voodoo1 3Dfx accelerator onboard... hehe good old days,... when need for speed 2 in 3dfx was the most realisitc thing you have ever seen... 🤭🤣

Need for Speed .. ❤️ 

I begin with the Hot Pursuit 2 and the porsche 2000

I found the video still enjoyable today :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Nfs Porsche,... 🤭 when whole keyboards were flying against the monitor when you had to do  a 360 as the weissach factory driver... still to this day, that was one of the most difficult gamemoves i had to make... it took me about 2 days after school to get this single 1 mission done... you do a 359° turn, your out, you do a 361° turn, your out... same goes for the 180s... especially when you had to do two 180s and one 360 in a row 🙈🙈🙈

meanwhile 

Edited by Vice86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • 100 1

21 minutes ago, Vice86 said:

Nfs Porsche,... 🤭 when whole keyboards were flying against the monitor when you had to do  a 360 as the weissach factory driver... still to this day, that was one of the most difficult gamemoves i had to make... it took me about 2 days after school to get this single 1 mission done... you do a 359° turn, your out, you do a 361° turn, your out... same goes for the 180s... especially when you had to do two 180s and one 360 in a row 🙈🙈🙈

meanwhile 

Hell Yeah thoses missions were damn hard 😄 That's " Rage Again " x) 

My brain made a link with that, Idk why 😛 (this engine sound... 🤣 )

• Love 1
  • 100 1

18 hours ago, Lt Steiner said:

Very nice thread and even nicer pics!

A 3DO is a real gem, especially one made by Panasonic. The 3DO and the Atari Jaguar are both unknown territory for me. What's that Japanese game you have next to Pebble Beach (oh man, Pebble Beach, to this day I do not understand why my parents thought a Golf game would be something I'd like to have for Christmas)?

I have a TurboGrafx 16, too, it's supposed to become the next area of extension for my retro collection. So far I only have three games for it: Liquid Kids, Galaga '88 and Blazing Lazers. Would love to get a PC Engine CD and Rondo de Blood (Castlevania) for it. So far I only know the game as the SNES adaptation (Vampire's Kiss).

Your GoldenEye gun & watch are awesome. Also, the Super Mario World next to is very nice, even a PAL version. In Canada, did you have NTSC or PAL/SECAM like France?

So far my main focus have been Sega and Nintendo consoles, especially the ones I grew up with. I have a complete PAL collection of the Sega Master System, Sega Saturn and N64. Would love to complete my collections for other systems like the NES or SNES, too, but prices there have been insane lately. SNES games I know that had a market price of about 100 Euro CiB ten years ago, now often go for hundreds, if not even close to a 1,000 Euros. Especially insane for games that had never been super rare like MegaMan X3. I somewhat understand the high prices of games that saw only a limited release, like for example Whirlo, but that games that sold close to a million go for thousands of euros, is just insane to me.

Retro PC gaming, as in playing on original hardware, is something I've been trying to get into as well. At my parent's house I still have my old computers that I had when I was a kid in the '90s, especially my most beloved computer of all time I got in 1999: Pentium 3@500 MHz with a Voodoo2-SLI setup that my uncle put into it (I think, out of the box the PC came with an ATI Rage or something like that). Nothing but great memories I've had with that computer: Jedi Knight, Quake 1-3, Unreal, Half-Life, Deus Ex, StarCraft, Diablo 2, System Shock 2, Grim Fandango, Outcast, Jagged Alliance 2... too many great games to name all! I even played Return to Castle Wolfenstein on it although then the PC started to show its age and it didn't run too well on it. Nothing beats playing on original hardware with a bulky CRT.

When I visit my parents next time, I will get some pictures for this thread as well. Here, the most retro thing I can offer is a PS3 which I picked up to try out the game Lair by Factor 5 which was supposed to be an upgraded fantasy version of the Rogue Squadron games but in the end flopped very badly.

Thanks Steiner! those two 3do games are the only two i have unfortunately. Good games run about 150$ to 600$... Iam praying to find some "out in the wild". The Japanese game is a 3d pinball game called FIREBALL!! and it is terrible.

Here in Canada we are NTSC-Canada. But most aren't region locked anyway! 

Iam jealous of your complete cartridge collections for nintendo and sega. I wish i could've started collecting 15 years ago! it would take tens of thousands of dollars to collect now. Basicaly now i collect the games i remember and the most popular ones.

I do have a copy of chrono trigger my grandmother baught me brand new. I hated it. But thank god i never gave it away, its 300$ on ebay now. i ordered an original box for it, should be worth about 900$ CIB

I cant wait to see some pictures of your collection! 

9 hours ago, DeKing said:

Nice thread ButtMonkey :) 

That's a good idea to made a topic about Retro Gaming, I like it too and we discuss a bit about on discord.

I will try to take more pictures of my collection, when that will be out of the boxes and nicely displayed (That take so much place that I don't have ^^ )

Don't know you like old games and have so much @Lt Steiner  ;) 

As you say prices are insane for the moment..

I still have my old WinXP computer with all the old games I have run on ( Jedi knight, Quake 3, RTCW, Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empire, Command and Conquer, American Conquest, Theme Hospital, lots of gems 😛 ) 

For Consoles my first one was the Gameboy Color from my siblings, After I buy a gameboy micro and a Gamecube. I think that Cube is still my lovely console today. And that impossible screen with the GBMicro, nothing better to play discretly at school 😄 

Then with my first job I buy back a lot of the games I sell when I was younger, and lot more.... x) 

I've got a nice collection of  5/6/7th generation games (GBC, PS1-PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, dreamcast, Xbox360, Wii ) 

I have few before and after but the 6th generation ( 1999-2005 ) it's when I grow up and have the most feelings and remembers in this period

Some of them here :) 

Thanks!  

GameCube's are a hot item right now too. I haven't bought one because they are so over priced! They weren't very popular here either, most people had PS2 Instead. And the first gen Wii is cube compatible and takes the remotes. I have tons of Wiis, they are worthless here.

Thats an awesome collection of Cube games! Thats worth a ton now! 

2 hours ago, Vice86 said:

meanwhile 

Oh man! Someone gave me a disk with the Demo of NFS Porche. I talked about porches until my parents almost lost their minds. like you said, it seams like games couldn't possibly get anymore realistic than that! 

• Like 1

Also iam nuts for Vice City and GTA games. I have 12 copies of vice city ATM, because less than a year after it was released rockstar games was sued and forced to censor things in the game. Then again a year later.

So there are 4 version of vice city, the boxes and disks are identical, you have to play each one to see what version it is. Some have songs missing and blood and gore censored and shit. So everytime i see one i buy it and test it. 12 games and i got ONE original copy. Very rare.

I also have all the GTAs for PSP. 

If anyone has GTA Liberty City stories, Vice city stories, or Chinatown wars for PS2 ide love to buy them. They are very rare because they are PSP games released for PS2 and only sold for 1 year 

city1.png.0da79b1deb37d39b7ab1b4fbb9f7f273.pngcity2.png.f3c0f6c5174999da9f8a4ca1a00d4790.png

• Love 1

1 hour ago, DarthMojo said:

I still remember the day my parents bought my brother and I an Atari 2600 console. It was the most amazing thing I ever saw. 

.80s 1980s GIF

Nice! Would that be the first video game you ever owned and played? I missed out on the Atari 2600, and just barely caught the last of the NES before it went out of style. 

I have a 2600 now, it seams so primitive and unplayable to me, But the odd game is very addictive

It was my first game system. I went from the Atari 2600, NES which is my favorite system all time, Sega Genesis, and XBOX. I hardly play my XBOX and still have my NES plugged into my tv to relive my youth...lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1