Retro PCs, Consoles, and Electronics

ButtMonkey

8 hours ago, Peaceman33 said:

Used to love  playing Moonwalk on the arcade. spend lots of quarters playing it lol

Same here, and when I couldn't play at the arcade it was the neighbors that had it every time I wanted to get the game it was sold out lol

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, Dink the Clown said:

Wow this topic brings back so many memories 👏.  I remember the very first system I started playing games on was the Commodore 64, playing games such as Agent USA, Dig Dug, Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, Defender of the Crown.  ( I will post vids of these games after this trip down memory lane.) Wow so many games to name and still have some of these old games to this date, after I learned how to start playing games when I was just a wee clown lol😁 I got my first console NEC Nintendo and talk about memories I am sure some of can relate to this the crappy grey screen when plugging the cartridge in taking it out and blowing at the connectors, lmao such a pain in the ass. That console I didn't have as many games but did have some fairly good ones such as Castlevania, Classic Metroid, Archon, and some more I will spare you the list of games.   But I will have to say I feel that aside from the utter shitty 8 bit graphics poor resolution and bloodshot eyes from some of them games, they still are the best to this day more intellectual rather than some of the new games today call me old fashioned and silly, but don't get me wrong there is a few great games today but they seem so much different than the old ones.

I feel similarly about newer games. There are still tons of great games, but for me the memorable ones are mostly older titles. Nostalgia might play a role but I really liked the bigger focus on gameplay that older titles had, their simpler - yet more demanding - game designs (easy to learn, hard to master), and especially that they were not such huge time drains. You start a new game nowadays, chances are you first have to watch-play through two hours of exposition, ingame cutscenes and gameplay tutorials before "actually" playing the game.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

I grew up on Amiga 500, the nostalgia of games like sensible soccer, return to monkey Island and command and conquer a bit later on. After that I remember spending so much time on the original diablo.

Getting all of your cheats from the special pullout of a pc magazine 😂

We have bars in Manchester called NQ64 which have all of these games named here in console and arcade form. It's a great little set up!

https://nq64.co.uk/manchester/

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 100 3

• 2 years later...

Awesome. What kind of screen kits did you get? I've done a backlight and bivert mod on an original GameBoy about ten years ago but from my understanding the current way to go is by swapping the screen for a modern IPS panel. Although I think that battery life could be an issue with an IPS panel and the GameBoy Pocket as the Pocket only uses two AA batteries.

Keep us updated!

• Like 1

ill let you know about battery life, i did a bivert and its a lot of work! then peeling off and reinstalling the LCD layers! insane. The new generation kits for DMG-01 is to replace the first board with the screen with a board and an ips LCD screen like an older smart phone would have.

Heres the kits i ordered for the pockets

Retro Pixel IPS LCD for Game Boy Pocket — Retro Modding

Trim the case, install, and wire two power wires and good to go! IF the only issue with them is the screen, I have some parts around so it should work! 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up two Gameboy Pocket IPS LCDs. A red one and a yellow one. Both have touch sensors to control backlight color, and use the contrast knob as screen brightness.

The shells had to modded alot and makes the screens hard to center. Both of mine may not be perfect but they look straight in my eyes 

Battery life seams to be 3 hours, but would be a lot higher with the screen brightness turned down 

Here is the red gameboy. Both are forsale! 

Edited by ButtMonkey
  • Like 2
  • 100 1