ET randomly crashes without warning

Hitch

So I've always had this problem but have never been able to fix it.

Sometimes when loading up ET and joining a server, ET will close once the map has finished loading. Sometimes this happens 2/3 times before I'm able to get back on. This happens randomly, most of the time I'm able to get on without any problems.

Set ET memory usage higher:

Start ET,

Esc, Mods: Select a Mod, Load Mod...

Open console, Type:

/seta com_hunkMegs 192 [Enter}

/seta com_zoneMegs 32 [Enter}

/seta com_soundMegs 48 [Enter]

Then connect to a server

config will be saved

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 3:18 PM, Hitch said:

So I've always had this problem but have never been able to fix it.

Sometimes when loading up ET and joining a server, ET will close once the map has finished loading. Sometimes this happens 2/3 times before I'm able to get back on. This happens randomly, most of the time I'm able to get on without any problems.

I noticed that this only happens on FA servers. At least on nQ1. 🤔

Unfortunately, memory assignment doesn't affect that much. It turns off less often. 🤔

That the Id Tech3 engine can handle 256 models, I have com_hunkMegs on 256. 😏

• Like 1

Yea you're right the memory assignment didn't really help in the end. I'm still having those issues.

I can't remember but I think it does happen on other servers too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broham said:

Just out of curiosity, how many maps are in your etmain folder? ETPub used to have a similar bug when you had too many maps in etmain

193 maps

Can you try deleting* the majority of them (or moving* them to a different folder outside of your game) and see if this helps?

*When doing this, be careful not to remove the original pk3's, like pak0, pak1, pak2, mp_bin... (Easiest would be to sort by date and don't touch the oldest ones).

(F|A does have something called a pk3cleaner, but from what I have read it doesn't remove maps. Only .tmp and .pid files, and pk3 files if they contain ~~)

• 100 1

• Leader
On 1/6/2021 at 9:53 AM, Broham said:

Just out of curiosity, how many maps are in your etmain folder? ETPub used to have a similar bug when you had too many maps in etmain

DareDevil has suggested reducing the number of PK3s that we have.  Unfortunately, ET loads all of them at run-time, so we can't really tell when each was last used to play a map.  You could manually delete or move the files that you don't remember playing recently and the server will cause a download if you are wrong. 😄  I should go look at mine to perform that cleaning-out. 

On 1/6/2021 at 11:10 AM, Hitch said:

193 maps

I have 197 pk3s, taking up 2.02 GB of disk-space.  Those are compressed files, so I might assume that ET de-compresses them as needed, but I don't now for sure.  It could de-compress them into a "current-map-space" or some such.  I should go look at the ET source-code, even though I don't know C++.  The comments and the variable-names usually explain enough of what is generally going on. 😄 

• Like 2

try to clean up ur et. see if that helps.

what o/s do u use an whatversion of et do u use ? etlegacy or  regular et.?

sometimes it can save ur maps to a bogues spot.  an it  will mess et up. 

clean up pak.3s and delete any tmp. files. also if u have same pak.3 dled and its renamed which they all doo.  it can do what ur saying is happening.

• Surprise 1

On 1/6/2021 at 10:28 PM, Broham said:

(F|A does have something called a pk3cleaner, but from what I have read it doesn't remove maps. Only .tmp and .pid files, and pk3 files if they contain ~~)

If you cancel the map download, temporary incomplete files (maps) may appear. About .tmp and random formats, for example .f36gx, .s4nd34, which prevented me from running ET 2.60b.