Going Back to Linux

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

I have a 500GB HDD doing nothing that had Ubuntu on it a few yrs ago and I want to reformat and install a new distro as a dual boot with my Win 10. So, I'm looking for ideas a on a distro that is not as bloated as Mint and Ubuntu have become, has inbred security features (Like Tails but don't need to be THAT secure) and is usable as a daily driver for someone who is only like 2 levels above Linux-noob.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 100 1

• Platinum VIP
5 hours ago, Crazyshot said:

Best Linux Distributions for Beginners

https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners

Dude, I’m not a beginner and these are the exact ones I do not want

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Platinum VIP
14 hours ago, Crazyshot said:

OpenSUSE looks interesting. Arch would be the best choice, but that IS over my head. I'd have to Google every command line to get it installed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum VIP

I think I've settled on Manjaro, after testing a bunch of Distros I think I'm going to use my test laptop to learn how to do a full install, line by line of full-blown Arch

56 minutes ago, LinP said:

I have tried Ubuntu but many problems with stability.

Debian is more stable :)

True. 

On 5/18/2020 at 5:44 PM, -=HipKat=- said:

has inbred security features 

Kali ? 

On 5/18/2020 at 5:44 PM, -=HipKat=- said:

don't need to be THAT secure

OK not Kali then 😄

I would propose. 

https://www.whonix.org/

Alternative:

https://www.qubes-os.org/

Qubes OS is not a Linux distro in a strict sense... 

"If you're serious about security, QubesOS is the best OS available today. It's what I use, and free. Nobody does VM isolation better." (E. Snowden)... Said few years ago, I dont know if he would say it today... But he said it... 

Edited by GHARIB
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP
4 hours ago, GHARIB said:

True. 

Kali ? 

OK not Kali then 😄

I would propose. 

https://www.whonix.org/

Alternative:

https://www.qubes-os.org/

Qubes OS is not a Linux distro in a strict sense... 

"If you're serious about security, QubesOS is the best OS available today. It's what I use, and free. Nobody does VM isolation better." (E. Snowden)... Said few years ago, I dont know if he would say it today... But he said it... 

I never tried that one, but I will. I’m curious about it being the best for security when everything I read said that arch is the best for security because of the fact that it’s built line by line and the user has complete control over everything that gets installed

5 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

the user has complete control over everything that gets installed

is that not what 'Linux' is about? I mean regardless of distros(excpet their bloatwares and distro softwares) you get to install everything.

You can try Parrot(https://parrotlinux.org/) too it's like the 'new upcoming' distro in security part of linux. Many linux veterans would still prefer old Distros understandable too.

• Like 1

I'd personally recommend OpenSuSE or Manjaro. Really, Depends on what kind of packages you want to install, whether you think you'll be comfortable building/making packages. Later on, it boils down more to the package manager. pacman vs YasT.
For total control over your machine in an easy to use way + built-in security with SELinux, you can't beat OpenSuSE with YasT.

For tinkering and getting your feet a little wet, I'd recommend Manjaro since it's built on Arch.

If your experience is limited, I'd stay away from distros that don't have a "name brand", they often only last 2-3 years (or less), and then you have to worry about migrating partitions to new installations using UUIDs.
I'd also stay away from Fedora as your first distro. It's "proper FOSS", meaning it's pretty barebones, and requires you to install packages to do simple things like play back video, mp3s, etc. I actually used to work on the Fedora Project.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, Xernicus said:

I'd personally recommend OpenSuSE or Manjaro. Really, Depends on what kind of packages you want to install, whether you think you'll be comfortable building/making packages. Later on, it boils down more to the package manager. pacman vs YasT.
For total control over your machine in an easy to use way + built-in security with SELinux, you can't beat OpenSuSE with YasT.

For tinkering and getting your feet a little wet, I'd recommend Manjaro since it's built on Arch.

If your experience is limited, I'd stay away from distros that don't have a "name brand", they often only last 2-3 years (or less), and then you have to worry about migrating partitions to new installations using UUIDs.
I'd also stay away from Fedora as your first distro. It's "proper FOSS", meaning it's pretty barebones, and requires you to install packages to do simple things like play back video, mp3s, etc. I actually used to work on the Fedora Project.

Manjaro is what I settled on. It's really beautiful, and smooth. Silky smooth. Plus the old 10" Laptop I use to test on, that lags terribly under otherOS's and Distros runs super fast with Manjaro. So that's what I installed on my HDD. I still have a lot of setup to do, but so far, I dig it.

That's very cool that you worked on Fedora. I looked at it and just what you said is what pushed me away from it, the fact that it's "bare bones".

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP
3 hours ago, Carbonautics said:

is that not what 'Linux' is about? I mean regardless of distros(excpet their bloatwares and distro softwares) you get to install everything.

You can try Parrot(https://parrotlinux.org/) too it's like the 'new upcoming' distro in security part of linux. Many linux veterans would still prefer old Distros understandable too.

Yes and no. Other Distros, like most OS's use a graphical "self-installer" to install the OS. You get what it installs as OEM items, which in may cases includes bloatware and software you don't really want.  Ubuntu is a prefect example of this, now.

With pure Arch Linux, you install each segment via command line. One line at a time so  every single aspect of the install was selected by the user. It makes for a very difficult and  tricky installation

Edited by -=HipKat=-

Hi there mate.

Let me say, and sorry for bringing this up again, I'm really sorry for your loss. But I'm pleased to see you are finding ways to keep on going.

Linux distros is really a matter of flavour. As you can see by the previous posts.  Some are really not very good options for you because they are whole new world for you to adapt it. The kernel is basically the same, some distros have more recent or older kernel. 

You don't wanna play with some of the above mentioned. Because your foundations are in  dpkg, apt, synaptic, ubuntu software manger/gdebi (depending on DM), PPA's and deb structure. 
GentOS is not you're looking for. It's considered the king of linux distros along with Slack in terms of geeekness. If someone recommends it to you, they are basically showing off or they are really old school and forget how user friendly Linux became.

Other RPM distros like Fedora is basically the testing distro of RedHat, they tried something great Fubuntu (mix the best from both). Those moved away a bit from the conception of Linux. If you want to use one of these distros go for CentOS. You have great documentation on Serverworld website (all things regarding network).
Suse is also rpm, it's a great distro, they launched a PC with Suse and Windows dual in the past. But like Mandrake or Mandriva, now OPENSuse you will struggle to get it used to it, if you are KDE fanboy you should consider it, dispite the changes.

Kali was previously  based on Slack - Backtrack (rpm), now,  the last time I checked is based on deb.  You can use it as your daily basis but it's a bit of paradox since some tools it came with you don't need it or even know what they mean. Backtrack is the swissarmy of networking it's mandatory to have on flash in case you work on networking. Some peeps use it because it achieved fame through Media. But in the end they don't know that they are themselves controlled.  Is not focused only in networking and server like CentOS so yeah you can use it if you want to move some steps radically.
Manjaro is for Arch what is Mint to Ubuntu/Deb. Let me say it's awesome. Even if I just recently realised Arch is meme for many. But will be difficult for you to understand the different Repos and to handle with them. The Arch wiki is one of the best out there regarding all subjects (even networking). Arch users must need some knowledge of how limux operates and handle very good with bash commands and since they have community repos, you can costumize your distro in a way no other can. While the level of geekness here is not on Gent/Slack, is the middle term. But Arch was always in bleeding edge like hybrid ISO for instance. So if you already used Mint you probably have a good idea how Manjaro looks like it. It would be my choice from wich others mentioned.

I could recommend to you Solus because I know the people involved, but I think you should stick the one that you like and feel more confortable. Try Manjaro in VM play with it for one day or two see if suits you. I never thought they will became a popular distro so that means something. 

My choice to you would be Debian. Because it's the logical step based on what are you familiar with alreadly. Contratry to some user before said. Debian isn't more stable than Ubuntu. The LTS realese of Ubuntu is based on latest stable of Debian. Unless you adding stuff you don't know how to handle from GITHUB or messing the repos or even PPAs is stable as it is Debian ( and to be honest lately Debian is becaming almost like rolling with so many system updates ) The proof is Ubuntu Server realese, where you can made it full compatible with Windows Server using Kerberos. 
Debconf is really powerfull and easy to use. So you won't have any troubles install. The problem can be after that where you don't have some tools you already familiar or can easy your needs. There are lot's of info on web about how to make it more friendly, or must install tools and what is the purpose of each one. Defiantly you wont wanna go with DVD install is too eavy lot's of stuff you don't need. So try in VM different ISOs with different DM. Personally I like XFCE or MATE.

But Imagine there is already a distro that have those tools, the latest repos and lot of information on web (forums, wikis, friends, ...). 
There is and it's LMDE Linux Mint Debian (comes with Mate that is basically GTK2 a fork of Classic Gnome 2 but you can install any DE you want if that doesn't appeal you - Trinity for instance is light and costumizable as Widows Desktop like). USing this you are in middle ground meaning you can have both support from Ubuntu users and Debian users. Debian is the only real GNU version of Linux and it's the mother, even yum was created cuz of Debian.
Like I said you should go for the one that you like more and feel more confortable with, never forgetting that almost everything can be costumizable, but sometimes that can take a whole of time and stress in doing it so.

So since it's a kind of return from what I understood you better stick to the stuff you know, at least for now: Any distro based on Debian/Ubuntu.

Feel free to contact me on discord, for help on this or anything you need,  even if I appear offline. Cheers!

• Like 1