Going Back to Linux

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP
9 hours ago, zrong said:

Hi there mate.

Let me say, and sorry for bringing this up again, I'm really sorry for your loss. But I'm pleased to see you are finding ways to keep on going.

Thanks for your condolences and thank you for this reply! This is the most thorough answer to the "which Linux Distro" question I've ever seen. Awesome! 

Most of the ones you mentioned, I did research. Kali sounded great on the surface, until I realized it was more for business application  then it is for a daily driver. OpenSUSE looked great, too, and I might play with it on my test laptop.

Matter of fact, some these I never heard of and will definitely test them. 

In the end, I decided on Manjaro and yes, it IS awesome! Beautiful, super and smooth, even on my Test Laptop - which is an old 10" Acer POS that lagged even with Peppermint. I'm having fun playing with Pamac and I want to, at some point, try to do a command line install of pure Arch.

Dude, thanks for this reply! I'm saving it in a word doc. to refer back to!

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, daredevil said:

Why linux? I am curious. 

Something different. A chance to learn something new and see what I can do with it. Problem with Windows is, there's nothing new about it anymore. There's nothing left to tweak or modify or build on.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 2:43 AM, -=HipKat=- said:

Something different. A chance to learn something new and see what I can do with it. Problem with Windows is, there's nothing new about it anymore. There's nothing left to tweak or modify or build on.

Well... I'm kind of biased. I don't like so much M.S. as much I have a problem dealing lack of support to Linux.
 It kind of short of drivers for some hardware and apps...
My best offer is: Please install Virtual Machine and try to see if there's all you need for your PC hardware and software...

Edited by OnFiRe4FuN

• Platinum VIP
59 minutes ago, OnFiRe4FuN said:

Well... I'm kind of biased. I don't like so much M.S. as much I have a problem dealing lack of support to Linux.
 It kind of short of drivers for some hardware and apps...
My best offer is: Please install Virtual Machine and try to see if there's all you need for your PC hardware and software...

Dude, Windows is still my primary OS. Linux is on an extra HDD I had. It would be a long while before i switched completely. I can't even figure out how to install my VPN yet

I can help you with that. But still. Please install a Virtual Machine first. As long you'll not change hardware settings you're good to go. From my experience it's easier. 
Please if you have any problems or questions. I'm here to help...
P.S. About the installation. Please search it on YouTube. I'm sure there's at list one.
"VPNname" install on Linux.

Edited by OnFiRe4FuN

• Platinum VIP
On 7/7/2020 at 7:43 PM, OnFiRe4FuN said:

I can help you with that. But still. Please install a Virtual Machine first. As long you'll not change hardware settings you're good to go. From my experience it's easier. 
Please if you have any problems or questions. I'm here to help...
P.S. About the installation. Please search it on YouTube. I'm sure there's at list one.
"VPNname" install on Linux.

It's already installed my friend. I tested it on a test machine first. Problem is with a Distro based on Arch, searching for Install *.* on Linux always comes up with Ubuntu family of distros. Like with CUI for my Keyboard. The Linux install is setup for Ubuntu/Mint/etc. What I really need to do, I think, is learn more about command line installs with Pamac. 

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1

It's all here on arch wiki babe. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wolfenstein:_Enemy_Territory#Troubleshooting

Or, https://www.crossfire.nu/journals/156946/wet-linux-sound-fix

CUI for keyboard, you mean to minimize ET? 

Press CTR+ALT+ENTER then open console. (If you're not using ETL)

Edited by zrong
  • Like 1

• Platinum VIP
1 hour ago, zrong said:

It's all here on arch wiki babe. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wolfenstein:_Enemy_Territory#Troubleshooting

Or, https://www.crossfire.nu/journals/156946/wet-linux-sound-fix

CUI for keyboard, you mean to minimize ET? 

Press CTR+ALT+ENTER then open console. (If you're not using ETL)

I typed that wrong. I meant iCue for my Corsair Kbd, but I figured out how to install some things by switching to Gnome DE and using Terminal to do the install, then switching back to plasma

Edited by -=HipKat=-

What did you use? I believe you can configure it on Qt environment with cdk, but if you feel more confortable with GTK why not? One of the great things about free unix OS, you can have as many DE as you wish or make one from scratch.

I never had one of those keyboards, I should consider buy one mechanical because this one connected to laptop is rubbish, and I have another one new - I like to have spare stuff - but I'll use it until is broken. They don't make plastic keyboards great anymore. I had logitech and other brands in the past where the plastic was so smooth almost like a blend of glass + plastic.

I have always a hard time to find one I can easily adapt,  you can't touch them buying online. I don't have this problem with mouse.

This one just for ET, the twin is coming shortly it seems.

20200716_182943.jpg.47449e9bbd745696f46a6ab1dc25b25f.jpg

Edited by zrong
resize image
  • Like 1

• Platinum VIP
15 hours ago, zrong said:

What did you use? I believe you can configure it on Qt environment with cdk, but if you feel more confortable with GTK why not? One of the great things about free unix OS, you can have as many DE as you wish or make one from scratch.

I never had one of those keyboards, I should consider buy one mechanical because this one connected to laptop is rubbish, and I have another one new - I like to have spare stuff - but I'll use it until is broken. They don't make plastic keyboards great anymore. I had logitech and other brands in the past where the plastic was so smooth almost like a blend of glass + plastic.

I have always a hard time to find one I can easily adapt,  you can't touch them buying online. I don't have this problem with mouse.

This one just for ET, the twin is coming shortly it seems.

20200716_182943.jpg.47449e9bbd745696f46a6ab1dc25b25f.jpg

I haven't had a chance to get into it yet, but I did get my VPN set up. I had to install Gnome, then switch back to Plasma after I had it configured.