Windows Starting et needs 2x start

Masa_1964

Problem is at when double click it will start part of process (rundll.exe) and starts ocupying prosessor 50% then it needs to second double click to start et. Also when closing that et, rundll.exe remains running and taking 50% prosessor time. Other programs and games running normaly.

Fresh game, copy of et from memory stick all the same thing. Not sure when this started. All easy solutions is tested from windows side (reinstall windows is not an option). Same thing on my other pc and laptop also so its not just ops.

Edited by Masa_1964

Maybe try a completely fresh install from dl section? Just copy the etkey/silent key and your cfg, the rest get fresh including maps from the server, just to make sure nothing is compromising the files.

Are you using the 2.60 or ETL btw?

2.60 and windows 7 32bit, dll section? I have tested with new installation from usb and used version available on dl section. No change. I know at I'm not only one suffering this. time scale is around 2-3weeks when problem started.

• Thanks 1

I can't speak for Masa, but I've been having the same issue. I dont play much other games besides ET, but ET is the only program I have issues with. No clue how usefull the attached screenshot is.

win7 64 bit

rundllhighcpu.JPG

21 minutes ago, Broham said:

I can't speak for Masa, but I've been having the same issue. I dont play much other games besides ET, but ET is the only program I have issues with. No clue how usefull the attached screenshot is.

win7 64 bit

rundllhighcpu.JPG

Same issue, also happens with RTCW, have to use Task Manager, close ET.exe or WolfMP.exe and then start program again. Win7 Ultimate 64 bits and Win7 Professional 32 bits tested.

Edited by Mordecai

There was issues before with couple of AV programs and when I used Vista, my ET didn't work properly. With Win7 pro I didn't install those at all and all is fine. I have 3 ET installed, both 2.60b and ETL and one is from memory stick.

AVG and Avast, both free versions were the issue. Are you using those maybe?

Another I could think of, is that uninstall leaves folders and maybe registry marks behind. Try using for example CC cleaner after uninstall and then make a fresh install.

Other than these, I raise my hands.

Have you tried to allow the program through the firewall so it doesn't scan the whole time follow option 2 and add the program manually by allowing another program if it is not listed to see if it disables the rundll.exe https://blink.ucsd.edu/technology/security/user-guides/firewall/windows7-a.html#2.-Manually-allow-programs-thro

If you have punkbusterA or punkbusterB enabled in services or installed just disable it as well

That would be a security issue with windows 7 more then likely

did you see a firewall warning when the game started the first time when it tried to connect to the internet?

Only et sofar needing this special 4 clicks, what bothers me is this prosessor occupancy after first 2 clicks and when I go off from et it still keeps processor taken that 45-50%

Edited by Masa_1964

Check the properties of C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

Click on the security tab and click on users and make sure that your user has full control if not click the edit button choose users again and apply full control

that should apply to that folder and all sub folders in that folder

if it's still giving a double click issue open command prompt with administrative privileges and run edit: sfc /scannow 

Edited by DoubleDragon

i have been having the same issue the rundl seems to use a lot of resources this happened a long time ago on another computer too

i semi solved a work around it by pressing ctrl alt delete opening task manager after et finally starts but before i connect to a server and stopping the rundl by opening resource manager and right clicking on the rundl and stopping it

et seems to run normally if i do that

rundll32.exe is a windows process so points to an issue with windows rather than ET.

In windows 7 if you run taskman when you try to run ET and rundll32 starts and go to view-->select columns and click command line from the list it should tell you which process has started that specific rundll32.exe.

Do you run ET as admin?

Also you could try using something like HLSW to connect to the server rather than going through ET.exe

Hard to advise really as i'm on windows 10 and my ET just works. Cant say i've ever really had anything like you describe though even when i had Win 7 but i've always used 3rd party software like xfire and HLSW to connect to the servers i use. 

11 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

In windows 7 if you run taskman when you try to run ET and rundll32 starts and go to view-->select columns and click command line from the list it should tell you which process has started that specific rundll32.exe.

Do you run ET as admin?

I tried that but it has no path

Running et as admin

I'll install win 7 on a VM later and see if i can replicate your problem, in the mean time try using something like HLSW to connect and see if you have the same problem with that.

Oh i just had a brain fart and i think i have had issues in the past with games when using windows 7 as it has that games shite on it if i remember right.

Go start-->all programs-->games-->games explorer...click options and tell it not to check online for updates and uncheck the 2 boxes about collecting info for games.

Let me know, failign that i'll proceed to install 7 on a VM and try to replicate your issue.

Edited by Snuffs99