Building a new gaming rig - any thoughts?

Chuckun

If I remember right it will take a decent length but can't check right now.. Should be OK I think :)

Can't find it now but I'm sure it was a typical 380 / 390mm

Edited by Chuckun

• 1 month later...

How is the new gaming rig doing????

Well, I've had to delay it because we have found a house we like and had our offer accepted so my PC funds are going to go to the solicitors lol

• Like 2

nice!!! congratulations!!! We need pics!!!!!!

I've been meaning to make a post about it, I will do asap :)

• 3 weeks later...

While the topic has been bumped, I've made a second potential build using the Ryzen 5 1500x instead of the i5 7500... Same price once mobo is swapped for a AM4 B350....

post-4119-0-87314600-1499981260_thumb.png

The one thing about Ryzen is that it's gaming performance isn't quite up to par with Intel's yet, the difference is pretty minimal (usually 1-10 FPS) and that'll definitely change as AMD and their hardware partners work on UEFI and Chipset (software) updates. It might take awhile though.

As for the longevity of the platform, and how well the CPU will keep up with others with time... nobody can say for sure yet. But I'd place a bet on a Ryzen 5 1500x lasting longer then an i5 7500 would in terms of software support. And as time goes by and games support a higher thread count, the Ryzen will go from lacking in gaming performance to smoking that i5.

• Like 1

The one thing about Ryzen is that it's gaming performance isn't quite up to par with Intel's yet, the difference is pretty minimal (usually 1-10 FPS) and that'll definitely change as AMD and their hardware partners work on UEFI and Chipset (software) updates. It might take awhile though.

As for the longevity of the platform, and how well the CPU will keep up with others with time... nobody can say for sure yet. But I'd place a bet on a Ryzen 5 1500x lasting longer then an i5 7500 would in terms of software support. And as time goes by and games support a higher thread count, the Ryzen will go from lacking in gaming performance to smoking that i5.

Plus ryzen coolers are half decent so wont have to spend money on a CPU cooler!

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the first part today.. Decided to buy things as and when I see a good deal to save £££

Bought the Corsair CX600 80+ Bronze PSU for £50 on sale instead of £65

post-4119-0-16338900-1501883121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chuckun
  • Like 2