Ethernet Connection & MTU Setting

-=Medic=-

Since I don't have time to make a full tutorial with screen I made this video tutorial to be more clear without looking for the right word to explain things

I'll make more video tutorials because I think it's the best way to make people understand how it works, so if you have request or question you can ask and I'll try to explain it with video tutorial (if I have time of course)

10/16/2013 EDIT: Video link Fixed

• Like 1

Thanks Medic. Your tutorial is well done. I hope those thats got packet loss will understand the concept of tweaking their innernet settings and gettin er done correctly, by watching your tutorial..

Yo medic how come your not in the video =( !!!! By the way awesome tutorial =D. I love it (you should make one for people who are nub with os and want to dual boot like me lol)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Thanks for the tutorial !

I have 2 little questions and one suggestion:

2 questions

a) Versions

You advice in the video to use the 2.0.3 version instead of the latest one 3.0.8.

I tried this but the old version only goes until 20Mbs. Does this cause any problems if you have a higher download speed ?

b)When you use ping to determinate the MTU, you use www.fearless-assassins.com

Now this website is located in Germany, if I am not mistaken.

What if you play on a server which is located in the US ? Does it impact the MTU ?

Suggestion:

So I think I found a way around the versions.

I used the 3.0.8 version, pressed "Custom" and adjusted the "MTU", then pressed "Optimal" and the "MTU" remained. When I restart the pc and then click on the software and "Current", it still shows the chosen MTU.

Also tried to find some evidence to support this. I pressed "Custom" and changed the the setting "Time to live" to different powers of the number 2 ( 16, 32, 128), then pressed "Optimal" and the numbers would always change to 64. So I assume you can change MTU and still use "Optimal", or am I doing this the naabish way ? :P

• Administrators

Has anyone seen increased internet speeds doing this?

No but helps in packet fragmentation in TCP based games.