Test you knowledge in this music quiz.

Ol Smoke

Who actually started Rock n' Rock?  (Not the term, but the music)

Who started Punk?

What band started Metal Rock?

What band started the Mersy sound ?

What band started Grunge?

Who was the first female to cross over from country to Pop music?

What guitarist is held as the best that ever was?

What rock guitarist is held as the best player there ever was?

Who is recognized as the best rock singer ever?

What group holds the record for the longest time on the Billboard charts with one song?

What performer holds the record for having the most songs at one time on the Billboard charts?

What songwriter holds the record for the most gold records for a songwriter?

What songwriter/singer got paid the most for a single song?  (It was a tune for TV)

What band was hit with a lawsuit for false advertising their shows?

What band was found lipsynching to their concerts?

What band was found not actually playing their instruments at their concerts?

What is the longest single cut song on an LP?

Final question....the best rock guitar ever massed produced?

Gibson Les Paul  or  Fender Stratocaster?

I think determining who the first rock band was is really a matter of perspective. 

Since it was more of an evolution of southern blues,  references to rock and roll are made as early as 1938.

But generally speaking it is the standard that Bill Haley and the comets were the first 

Edited by EmtHipple

According to the votes of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,  Rock and Roll music didn't really start until Allan Freed uttered the famous

saying "Rock and Roll".  It wasn't deemed R n R unless it got played on his radio show.  The first song to be revered by Mr. Freed

was...

Rock Around the Clock  by Bill Haley and the Comets

since I have no clue about the questions above this one, I skipped ahead 

Who was the first female to cross over from country to Pop music?

​Answer: Patsy Cline with Let me be there 

What guitarist is held as the best that ever was? James Burton , Chances are that most of the iconic guitar licks you remember were either played by him or in some way influenced by him.  

What rock guitarist is held as the best player there ever was? Popular opinion places Jimi Hendricks as king, but I vote Steve ray Vaughan 

​Who is recognized as the best rock singer ever? Recognized :unsure:  not sure but I say Eric Clapton 

Who actually started Rock n' Rock?  (Not the term, but the music) - There is quite a debate over this. The popular opinion is Bill Haley Rock around the Clock

Who started Punk? - Again it really comes down to opinion, most like to cite The Sex Pistols, but I am going to say The Clash

What band started Metal Rock? - Even though the majority will say Black Sabbath, I say Deep Purple.. Why? They released an album one year before Black Sabbath and if you listen to Purples "B" sides you will here the Melodic metal chordings and of course the crazy screaming vocals, but again most will Say Sabbath. 

What band started the Mersy sound ? I know there was someone obscure before them but I would have to give the vote to the Beatles

What band started Grunge? I think there were a handful.. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl jam.. Nirvana brought it to popularity, but all these bands were gigging at the same time..

Who was the first female to cross over from country to Pop music? I am a little lost on this one.. Maybe Patsy Cline? Maybe Nancy Sinatra

What guitarist is held as the best that ever was? This comes down to opinion also for me.. Who was the "best" or who was the "greatest" Hendrix is probably held as the greatest but the best? I couldn't say. Music has spanned such a timeline and there have been so many.. It would come down to personal interests I think hehe..

What rock guitarist is held as the best player there ever was? See above :P

Who is recognized as the best rock singer ever? Okay maybe I am going out on a limb, but in my opinion, Stever Perry or Freddy Murcury

What group holds the record for the longest time on the Billboard charts with one song? I actually don't know this one, but guessing.. Michael Jackson, Elvis Presly, I know Whitney Houston had a long chart topper and so did Mariah cary or however it is spelled hehehe

What performer holds the record for having the most songs at one time on the Billboard charts? I will say Michael Jackson

What songwriter holds the record for the most gold records for a songwriter? George Straight?

What songwriter/singer got paid the most for a single song?  (It was a tune for TV) I think this is a trick question hehe, Ima say whoever wrote Happy Birthday

What band was hit with a lawsuit for false advertising their shows? No Idea hehehe

What band was found lipsynching to their concerts? Milli Vanilli Yeah I have no idea how to spell that, though this has went on since the golden ages of music.. I mean tons did it on Ed Sullivan hehe, but Milli got in trouble for I guess false advertising haha, maybe that is the answer to the question just before this one lol

What band was found not actually playing their instruments at their concerts? I know for years the Monkeys didn't hehe

What is the longest single cut song on an LP? Again not sure, but maybe Pink Floyd was behind it hahaha

Gibson Les Paul  or  Fender Stratocaster? Neither, The Fender Telecaster is by far the greatest guitar ever made :P

• Like 2

You did good Phoenix, really good.

Here are the best answers according to legit sources.

Who actually started Rock n' Rock?  (Not the term, but the music) - There is quite a debate over this. The popular opinion is Bill Haley Rock around the Clock Yes

Who started Punk? - Again it really comes down to opinion, most like to cite The Sex Pistols, but I am going to say The Clash   Sex Pistols were given the nod on this one.

What band started Metal Rock? - Even though the majority will say Black Sabbath, I say Deep Purple.. Why? They released an album one year before Black Sabbath and if you listen to Purples "B" sides you will here the Melodic metal chordings and of course the crazy screaming vocals, but again most will Say Sabbath.   Yeah came up with Black Sabbath

What band started the Mersy sound ? I know there was someone obscure before them but I would have to give the vote to the Beatles  Jerry and the Pacemakers

What band started Grunge? I think there were a handful.. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl jam.. Nirvana brought it to popularity, but all these bands were gigging at the same time..  Nirvana

Who was the first female to cross over from country to Pop music? I am a little lost on this one.. Maybe Patsy Cline? Maybe Nancy Sinatra

What guitarist is held as the best that ever was? This comes down to opinion also for me.. Who was the "best" or who was the "greatest" Hendrix is probably held as the greatest but the best? I couldn't say. Music has spanned such a timeline and there have been so many.. It would come down to personal interests I think hehe..  Les Paul is held as the greatest guitarist of our time.

What rock guitarist is held as the best player there ever was? See above  :P   Jimi Hendrix

Who is recognized as the best rock singer ever? Okay maybe I am going out on a limb, but in my opinion, Stever Perry or Freddy Mercury  It was awarded posthumously by Rolling  Stone

What group holds the record for the longest time on the Billboard charts with one song? I actually don't know this one, but guessing.. Michael Jackson, Elvis Presly, I know Whitney Houston had a long chart topper and so did Mariah cary or however it is spelled hehehe   Boyz II Men

What performer holds the record for having the most songs at one time on the Billboard charts? I will say Michael Jackson  Elvis Presley...Lil Wayne...Nicki Minaj

What songwriter holds the record for the most gold records for a songwriter? George Straight?

What songwriter/singer got paid the most for a single song?  (It was a tune for TV) I think this is a trick question hehe, Ima say whoever wrote Happy Birthday  Paul Anka  He wrote the Tonight Show theme for Johnny Carson

What band was hit with a lawsuit for false advertising their shows? No Idea hehehe  The Flying Burrito Brothers   A lady sued them because their advertising depicted a Circus act.  She got her money back + court costs.  $79

What band was found lipsynching to their concerts? Milli Vanilli Yeah I have no idea how to spell that, though this has went on since the golden ages of music.. I mean tons did it on Ed Sullivan hehe, but Milli got in trouble for I guess false advertising haha, maybe that is the answer to the question just before this one lol   Milli Vanilli

What band was found not actually playing their instruments at their concerts? I know for years the Monkeys didn't hehe (True)  But the correct answer is  ELO

What is the longest single cut song on an LP? Again not sure, but maybe Pink Floyd was behind it hahaha   Ina Gadda DaVida  By Iron Butterfly

Gibson Les Paul  or  Fender Stratocaster? Neither, The Fender Telecaster is by far the greatest guitar ever made  :P  Stratocaster

Hope you had fun playing    The trophy goes to Ph0enix.  He also gets a fully paid room for a night at the Best Western with Midnight.  Oh yeah buddy!

Edited by Ol' Smoke
  • Like 1

While I agree with most of Pheonix answers, I must disagree on one especially. The Animals should be the 1st Punk band. 1964's House of the Rising Sun was probably their most well known, but most of their songs have a Punk feel.

Singer/Songwriter is another. Songwriter, Diane Warren (no relation) has more hit songs than anyone. From Kiss to Faith Hill to Mariah Carey, her songs have made billboard more than anyone.

Greatest guitarist / rock guitarist can be debated endlessly. Iommi, Page, Clapton, BB King, Eddie VanHalen, Vai, SRV, Sambora, LesPaul, Tom Morello, Chuck Berry, Hendrix...... the list and debate can go on and on.

Same with Front Men. Ozzy, Plant, Clapton, Getty Lee, Prince, Roth, Hagar, Jagger, Jovi, Dio..... and let's give props to the chicks that rocked the shit out of songs..... Ann Wilson, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Pat Benetar, ... debates that will last forever.

I agree with some of those too doc, it was hard to keep popular opinion, my opinion and billboard fact separate haha.. Because my opinion wanted to rule all my answers haha..

• Like 1