GUID problem

SadNesS

False:  people who have reinstalled ET have told me that their etkey and silent.dat files disappear.  We tell them to copy their etkey file (from the etmain folder) and the silent.dat file (from the Silent mod folder) and to copy them back into their source folders when they do reinstall.  

It is good to keep copies of those files somewhere else, just in case something bad happens to your computer.  You could mail them to your online email service or to your phone.  :)  A file backup system is good too.

i dont think its false idk for the silent folder but i noticed it by my own experience when i uninstall Wolf:ET the location folder doesnt delete and keeps some files and when i install

Wolf:ET again is ingame everything the same like the settings and the XP :)

i dont think its false idk for the silent folder but i noticed it by my own experience when i uninstall Wolf:ET the location folder doesnt delete and keeps some files and when i install Wolf:ET again is ingame everything the same like the settings and the XP :)

Remember that folder I mentioned?

Is the following folder present, and is there an ETKey file inside?

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\ET\etmain

This is part of the reason why. This- and I'm predicating Sad's friend's issue- are related to a compatibility "layer" in Windows known as the VirtualStore.

Basically, in modern versions of Windows write access to the Program Files directory isn't allowed by the executable. (Older programs like ET want "unlimited access" to Program Files)

Instead, files are written to either "Program Data" or "%appdata%" folders while the program is running and passed along to the program is if they are in Program Files -- ie a symbolic link.

Running ET as an administrator somewhat bypasses this practice, which is why we do that. It's also why I can't really give any more advice in this case without knowing whether ET is being run as an administrator or not.

• Like 3

• Leader

i dont think its false idk for the silent folder but i noticed it by my own experience when i uninstall Wolf:ET the location folder doesnt delete and keeps some files and when i install

Wolf:ET again is ingame everything the same like the settings and the XP :)

News to me!  It may depend on the OS that they are using.  I have never reinstalled ET, and so do not have direct experience.  

The closest that I have had to a 'reinstall' is when I copied the whole ET installation from "C:/program files" on a computer to the D:/ drive on a new computer.  

• Leader

My Win10 Pro does not have an etmain folder, but it does have a " C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\ET\pb ". I did not actually 'install' ET, but copied the whole ET folder from another computer into my D:/ drive.  Win10 must have made this folder for me.

My appdat-pb folder looks like this:

Name-sorted  (the three sub-folders are empty)

post-8926-0-38271500-1522377193_thumb.jpg

Modified-date-sorted

post-8926-0-94049600-1522377238_thumb.jpg

Normally, I would have written: "The last file was 'modified' when I last quit ET and the prior two were 'modified' when I last started ET"

BUT, in my SSs, the last file was 'modified' when I last quit ET while PB was running and the prior two were 'modified' when I last ran ET  while PB was running.

The last-access times looked wrong to me and I only understood why when I checked the access-times for ET.exe and Sunlight's DemoViewer.  I had only viewed a Demo yesterday and had not joined any servers.  

It looks like PnkBstrB.exe and PnkBstrK.sys are only accessed when ET starts and that pbcl.db is written to when ET is closed.  An 'ET crash' would probably mean that the the pbcl.db file is never written to.  (It just contains the last PB IPs used...or to be used the next time...which should now never change since PB quit supporting ET :) )

BUT, Sunlight's DemoViewer does not allow any network access by ET, so none of the blue PB lines appear in the console when starting ET via DemoViewer, which means that none of the PB-files are "touched".

That may seem trivial, but I had a mystery to solve! :D

Edited by RedBaird

False:  people who have reinstalled ET have told me that their etkey and silent.dat files disappear.  We tell them to copy their etkey file (from the etmain folder) and the silent.dat file (from the Silent mod folder) and to copy them back into their source folders when they do reinstall.  

It is good to keep copies of those files somewhere else, just in case something bad happens to your computer.  You could mail them to your online email service or to your phone.  :)  A file backup system is good too.

i uninstalled Wolf:ET from my pc and this files keeped on my pc

C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

http://prntscr.com/iyfall

News to me!  It may depend on the OS that they are using.  I have never reinstalled ET, and so do not have direct experience.  

The closest that I have had to a 'reinstall' is when I copied the whole ET installation from "C:/program files" on a computer to the D:/ drive on a new computer.  

This is part of the reason why. This- and I'm predicating Sad's friend's issue- are related to a compatibility "layer" in Windows known as the VirtualStore.

Basically, in modern versions of Windows write access to the Program Files directory isn't allowed by the executable. (Older programs like ET want "unlimited access" to Program Files)

Instead, files are written to either "Program Data" or "%appdata%" folders while the program is running and passed along to the program is if they are in Program Files -- ie a symbolic link.

Running ET as an administrator somewhat bypasses this practice, which is why we do that. It's also why I can't really give any more advice in this case without knowing whether ET is being run as an administrator or not.

i uninstalled Wolf:ET from my pc and this files keeped on my pc

C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory

http://prntscr.com/iyfall

btw im using windows 7 ultimate

We have now after a long time trying and troubleshooting his PC newly set up. Everything is deactivated and

uninstalled which he does not need and now he keeps his GUID!

Many thanks for your support!!